• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Your collection when you pass on?

What are you going to do with your collection when you pass on, do you have any plans for it, so what do you think?

I see so many JAP rifles and M1 garands being turned in at my local gun shop by the kids who fathers brought them home from the war. My stomach turns when i see this happening. If my dad had a war trophy i would cherish it.

The reason why i ask is i was in a pawn shop and the owner was kind of being a jerk and saying when people who own guns pass on the relatives can't wait to bring them to me for cash. It kind of raised my attention on this subject and i felt like i should spread the word about putting it in your will who your going to leave them to. I think its time to plan ahead now. I want all my stuff to remain in my family so my oldest son who is into guns will get what i have when i pass on and i hope it will be passed on down to each future generation in my family too. I will be honored to see my great great grandchildren to enjoy and shoot my surplups. And who knows what will be around by then too. I'm planning for them right now too.

About 10 years ago my older brother who was my hunting and fishing mentor for many years ever since i was a kid passed away. All his guns were still in the gun bags still from the last hunting season we spent together. With no sons to give them too my sister in law asked me to take them. My older brother and my son were buddies he loved my son like he was his own. I gave all my brothers hunting rifles to my son. We felt sad but happy at the sametime. Its a tough thing to deal with. You know I was surprised there was no rust on the guns after 10 years of being in the bags?

Last edited:
They solved that problem in MA. LONG time ago they made it a crime to loan money for guns and pushed all the pawn shops in MA out of the gun business. I remember seeing guns in the pawn shops along Mass Ave in PRC when I worked at MIT/IL as a Co-op in the late 1960s. One of my co-workers bought a shotgun from a pawnshop during lunch and brought it back to our lab, leaving it with the security guard at the front desk (we worked in a DOD secure [wink] building). When I got into shooting in the mid-1970s, no pawn shops could deal in guns any more.

But what you report is true, widows dump the guns at dealers for next to nothing, just to get rid of them. Next problem is that most MA dealers won't touch the handguns without "paperwork" and that will end up leaving a ton of guns turned into the PDs to be sent to the crusher!! A crime unto itself!

LenS said:
But what you report is true, widows dump the guns at dealers for next to nothing, just to get rid of them. Next problem is that most MA dealers won't touch the handguns without "paperwork" and that will end up leaving a ton of guns turned into the PDs to be sent to the crusher!! A crime unto itself!
You don't know how I HATE those calls[crying]

We have no kids either and totally anti-gun families!

I told my Wife to put any she doesn't want on consignment with Carl at Four Seasons and enjoy the money! I did tell her to give the real collectibles to Paul Dias to auction off, as Carl's clientèle are shooters not collectors!

Jon, I understand.

Does your department have a policy forbidding the officers from buying them from the widows instead of turning them in for nada?

Many years ago it was not uncommon for officers to be able to do this, but somehow I think none of the brass would allow it anymore.

One phrase I heard a host of a shooting show say fits here "When I die I hope my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them"

I've told my wife that there are enough assets that she doesn't need to try to get $$ for the guns. She know who my shooting buddies are, and has been instructed which one of them knows how to effect the documentary modalities - she has been instructed to invite them over, point them to the gun room, and tell them "the only thing I want to see in that room when you leave is the safe."

LenS said:
Jon, I understand.

Does your department have a policy forbidding the officers from buying them from the widows instead of turning them in for nada?

Many years ago it was not uncommon for officers to be able to do this, but somehow I think none of the brass would allow it anymore.
I never asked the "boss" about that. I just assumed that he feel that there would be a conflict. The last time I had a call like that, the ladies (survivors) made it know that "guns are BAD" and didn't mind a bit that they would be crushed. When I told them what their dad's guns could be worth they sang a new tune. Funny how money changes people's minds, hypocrite asswipes. I whipped out a biz card from an FFL I know, they called him and he bought them.
That simple act could have even be construed as a"conflict".

Guys if your wives are going to sell them why not make a list of what there worth at this time and keep it updated so no one rips her off. I would help her out rather than knowing she is going to give them away. When people know you passed on they will be at her door to get them and try to rip her off.

I told my son who i'm leaving mine too if he sells off any i will haunt him forever. I will be back.....

My guns go to my nephew... which will piss off his mother no end as she's a screaming anti-gun liberal. If I live long enough that my niece turns 18, then I can make sure that she and her brother get to split them. Accomplishes two things: the guns go to someone who will appreciate them, and it will piss off my sister. [devil] I still remember the half-hour long lecture I got when I was 21 about how "owning guns will open you up to the path of violence".

This post started about Military "trophies" etc. I have a question regarding Military trophies. A shooting buddy of mine had an uncle who was in WWII who passed away about 10 years ago. He had a bunch of guns that went to the executor of the estate. All but a few guns were sold or given to family members. However, that executor now has possession of a Military M1 Garand and my buddy wants it. He's not sure if the firearm was ever registered or not and if his uncle just "borrowed" it from the Army. Is there any way to find out and could the executor do a transfer (although he isn't a licenced gun owner) or can the gun be brought to a MA dealer and do the transfer there?

An executor can transfer without an FFL involved. This supposes that the estate is still "open" (not totally settled). There is no time limit involved.

[Note for some: This is DIFFERENT than a spouse having 180 days to get a LTC if they want to keep guns that were left to them.]

Once the estate is settled, AFAIK (IANAL) the executor ceases to exist in the legal sense, and any transfers must be made thru an FFL in the recipient's state (and handguns mostly become verboten to transfer). So if the estate was settled, the executor kept some guns and ten years later want to then transfer the gun . . . they are just a gun owner wanting to sell/give a gun to someone (rules apply the same as everyone else).

So if the executor does not have a LTC can the transfer still be done thru an FFL?

Is there any way to find out of the rifle is currently registered still to a deceased person or the military? He's nervous that he'll try to transfer the rifle and it will belong to the military. Is this a possibility?

If the person is a court appointed executor of an estate, NO FFL is needed! True even if the executor doesn't have a LTC or lives in another state.

Realize that with handguns, if you use an FFL, the intended MA recipient will "lose" the handgun!! The FFL can NOT transfer any handgun unless "in state" status (10/21/98) can be determined or it is on the List and AG compliant (not likely for old guns).

Rifles can go thru FFL, but why pay the fees when the law allows you to do it without an FFL???

FA-10s are needed no matter which way you do it. If no FFL, you do it as "Registration" (gun and recipient info are all that are required). Does NOT matter what status of gun before owner died was, except if the gun is on a "hot list" as stolen.

dwarven1 said:
My guns go to my nephew... which will piss off his mother no end as she's a screaming anti-gun liberal. If I live long enough that my niece turns 18, then I can make sure that she and her brother get to split them.

That the one up my way? You definitely need to leave a couple of handguns for Liz. She likes 1911A1s.

I think the problem with this particular scenario (as opposed to general discussion of firearm laws in the abstract) is that, after 10 years, the gun in question is almost certainly not in the possession of the executor; it's in the possession of a normal, unlicensed individual who, once upon a time, was the executor. As such, he's no different from anybody else without an 01-FFL.

Ken

I've looked into this issue, since my father is an FFL and he is 80 now. We could liquidate the business, and IIRC, could carry on the business until the next renewal comes up. It's irrelevant now, since we put me on the licenses, therefore allowing me to definitely go until the next renewal.

I'm surprised no one else has volunteered, but hell, I'll be the first...

Anyone out there that's worried about this is more than welcome to put me in their will as the recipient of all their firearms when they shuffle off this mortal coil.

I promise to shoot, clean, and oil every piece and give it a loving home. On my honor... :)

Jay G said:
I'm surprised no one else has volunteered, but hell, I'll be the first...

Anyone out there that's worried about this is more than welcome to put me in their will as the recipient of all their firearms when they shuffle off this mortal coil.

I promise to shoot, clean, and oil every piece and give it a loving home. On my honor... :)
+1

Can't the individual officers offer to buy them? Or make a call to an interested party?

Second, I wonder if it is legal or questionable or whatever to put an ad in the local paper offering money for old guns.

Back
Top Bottom