your carry gun

Jeezus. Holy F'in mitts there bud. Are you 8'8"?

I was at the range with friends and let a new shooter shoot one of my Glocks. This guy was 5'6" or 5'7", average sized hands for his body type and size. He shot, and when the slide hit his thumb the shell didn't extract, but the trigger re-set. He pulled the trigger again, gun went click, and we went through the whole "wait 30 seconds for hangfire" drill, took the gun apart to see if it was a squib in the barrel, and in the middle of it all the person watching him shoot said that he'd been holding the gun like that.

Jeezus. Holy F'in mitts there bud. Are you 8'8"?
Nope. I'm 5'9" with medium sized hands.

Take your semi-auto. Unloaded. Cross your support thumb over your strong thumb, as shown in the photo. Now look where the your support thumb is in relation to the slide. In a gun with a low bore axis, like a 1911 or a Glock, your support thumb is directly behind the slide. If you actually fire the gun like this, at best you will have a couple bloody race tracks across the top of your support thumb. At worst, you will have broken your support thumb.

The good news is that you only make this mistake one.

i'm going to have to try that modified grip on my 442. i tried shooting it with my weak hand only and it was a total mess. if i carry in the pocket holster i'd be drawing with that hand so i may consider different placement on my body.

Nope. I'm 5'9" with medium sized hands.

Take your semi-auto. Unloaded. Cross your support thumb over your strong thumb, as shown in the photo. Now look where the your support thumb is in relation to the slide. In a gun with a low bore axis, like a 1911 or a Glock, your support thumb is directly behind the slide. If you actually fire the gun like this, at best you will have a couple bloody race tracks across the top of your support thumb. At worst, you will have broken your support thumb.

The good news is that you only make this mistake one.

Yeah my buddy got the tracks with a compact .45. He was shooting with the gun principally in his off-hand and his right got eaten. He should have gotten stiches but got by with butterfly closures. It is an ugly mistake.

No offense, I thought the picture looked like ginormous hands.

Yeah my buddy got the tracks with a compact .45. He was shooting with the gun principally in his off-hand and his right got eaten. He should have gotten stiches but got by with butterfly closures. It is an ugly mistake.

No offense, I thought the picture looked like ginormous hands.

a. Its a small gun
b. Those are not M1911's paws.

S&W 640 with Corbon .357 125gr.

J

I'm 5'6", about 135lbs, so small is best. Any recommendations?

I'm just under 6'3" but if you count up the responses here I am certain the J frames win, for good reason. The .357 mag alloy frames are apparently impossible for any normal person to shoot. Other than that there are a dozen models to choose from.

Bill
642CT

I carry my glock 33 in a Don Hume IWB in any month but I add my 442 in the front pocket in the winter. Soon I will be switching to carry my Glock 29 in a Don Hume holster and the G33 will be relegated to backup duty.

I've been carrying my Sig P245 6+1. It's a little heavy and bulky, but conceals well and it's comfortable with a suit on. I travel all day long in the car and after time I don't even notice it. Although this summer I will probably be looking for something lighter or smaller in .38

T-shirt weather, lots of bending over, or long drives-------Kahr MK9
Any other time --------commander sized 1911

And theIglu its not too hard, I'm 5' 8" 130lb and dont have any problems confortably concealing. You just have to keep trying differant holsters till you find one that works for you.

I'm just under 6'3" but if you count up the responses here I am certain the J frames win, for good reason. The .357 mag alloy frames are apparently impossible for any normal person to shoot. Other than that there are a dozen models to choose from.

Bill
642CT

Not impossible to shoot, just painful.

S&W Sigma .40GVE in the waist. And yes I own Glocks as well. (before the Sigma Haters chime in)LOL

No hate here. Thing fires everytime. Tough part is just getting used to the trigger. I have a SW40P with the ported barrel. First few rounds are fine, then I anticipate the bang along with the pull. Then all accuracy goes to hell. I was going to sell or trade it but right now I am not getting rid of any handgun. I recently threw a laser sight on it but have not had the time to sight it in

No hate here. Thing fires everytime. Tough part is just getting used to the trigger. I have a SW40P with the ported barrel. First few rounds are fine, then I anticipate the bang along with the pull. Then all accuracy goes to hell. I was going to sell or trade it but right now I am not getting rid of any handgun. I recently threw a laser sight on it but have not had the time to sight it in

The only thing I hate about the Sigma is the grip, its far too intuitive. Despite knowing the rules and never placing a finger on the trigger, the grip welcomes the finger onto the trigger. Not sure I am describing this correctly, but its like you pick it up and due to the design the hand grips it in ready to fire mode.

I really love this gun. Maybe I have a strong finger. I will put 200 rounds down range and not loose any accuracy or get tired. It has never hiccuped. I completely trust the new Gen Sigma. The trigger doesn't bother me one bit. I like the fact it has a heavy trigger. I am sure when the addrenaline is pumping it's even easier to fire. I will say I am not as accurate with it as I am the G17 but accurate enough. I think it is a tremendous value. Lot of gun for what you can pick them up for. I may look for a 9 to shoot on the cheap.

I just carry my 442 IWB... but I recently stopped carrying it because I can't shoot it very well. I'm looking into a semi auto now, I need something with a lighter trigger. I guess I have weak hands :( I really liked how small and comfortable the 442 is but I just can't entrust myself with it.

+1 im with you. This is why I don't own a snubby yet

The only thing I hate about the Sigma is the grip, its far too intuitive. Despite knowing the rules and never placing a finger on the trigger, the grip welcomes the finger onto the trigger. Not sure I am describing this correctly, but its like you pick it up and due to the design the hand grips it in ready to fire mode.

One of the main reasons I love it. I find its ergos perfect for my hand. When I extend my index it points exactly where I am aiming. But your right. It is like it is just begging you to squeeze the trigger. Maybe another plus for the 12# trigger. lol

What determines what you're going to carry when??

Is the pocket 442 just for summer? Same gun, but do you switch to a belt holster in the fall/winter ?

I usually carry the 442 in the summer for obvious reasons and go back to the G27 in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom