your carry gun

I've honestly never carried a day in my life. Really looking to change that sooner than later.

My P226 is too large for me to conceal easily. Once I saw the Ruger LCP released, I thought that would be a perfect carry pistol for me, but MA thought differently.

I'm 5'6", about 135lbs, so small is best. Any recommendations?

god your skinny clayton.

i carry M&P9 fullsize everyday right now with a elite holster since im too broke to buy the MTAC i want, and since its all i have.

love handles make concealing it easy with just a t-shirt.

Ruger P345 IWB with an extra magazine in my pocket (or two extended magazines and mini trauma plates duct taped to my arms so I can block incoming fire if I'm going to the mall).

As a big guy I have no trouble concealing just about anything in any weather.

Just a little while ago, I concealed half a blueberry pie on my person when I went to see Defiance... sucked eating it while the people on screen were starving in the woods, but whatever. It was PIE!!!

how often do you switch from one carry weapon to another?

Usually I carry my 442, the other day I went with a G30 instead and I started thinking about this.

What determines what you're going to carry when??

Is the pocket 442 just for summer? Same gun, but do you switch to a belt holster in the fall/winter ?

Does it depend on where you're going, which gun you take?

I just carry my 442 IWB... but I recently stopped carrying it because I can't shoot it very well. I'm looking into a semi auto now, I need something with a lighter trigger. I guess I have weak hands :( I really liked how small and comfortable the 442 is but I just can't entrust myself with it.

Don't give up on the 442, z0mbi. Greg Derr or Mike Larocca can improve that.

Hillman - I'm a big guy too. Care to share your CCP rig? It's better to have a pie and not need it...

My model 60 has to be one of the EASIEST guns to conceal, and if ever you doubt what its got behind it, 5 rounds through her at the range will quickly change your opinion!

I've got a Model 60. And a 642. I find that my Kahr PM9 is far easier to conceal than either of the two revolvers. YMMV.

HK USPc .45 is all I carry.

Do you have any issues with the safety popping off on your H&K? I have a Mass Compliant one (read old...) USP full sized and the safety pops on/off when I use most IWB holsters. I have not tried OWB nor have I tried a complete kydex holster.

99.9% of the time I carry my kel-tec p3at. I'd like to start carrying my glock 26 more, I carry it in a OWB when I'm going somewhere I can leave my jacket on now I just need to find a comfortable IWB holster for it.

If I have to go somewhere were I don't feel comfortable with the p3at I put the 26 in a smart carry and take both of them.

Hillman - I'm a big guy too. Care to share your CCP rig? It's better to have a pie and not need it...

I have a crossbreed Supertuck holster with the optional J hooks. It's pretty comfortable though I've had to replace the J hooks twice now. In fact at the moment one of the hooks is a J hook, the other is the other kind that goes over the belt, because I'm waiting for more J hooks to arrive.

Also, and strangely, I have a nylon bikini IWB holster, the kind with one wide metal clip, I think it cost me about $12, and it works really well. I use that when I don't want the extra bulk of the Crossbreed.

When I wear the crossbreed, I can get away with just one shirt, tucked or untucked. With the bikini holster, I generally have to wear one shirt tucked OVER the holster, with a second shirt or jacket covering the shiny black metal clip on my belt.

I carry on the same platform with interchangeable holsters, so for the most part I'm using the same firearm, just changing up for style and dress. Wintertime I try to stick with 40, Summertime 45.

I like this method best because I'm fairly certain if SHTF and I ever need to use my firearm I'm going on muscle memory and I don't want to introduce anything into the equation that may throttle my response. I just want to be able to point, shoot, and gather distance. I don't see myself doing that if I have to remember the safety, or wait for the trigger snap on a particular model.

Does yours chew up your thumb knuckle when you fire it? I've tried adjusting my grip to avoid it, but my natural grip allows the cylinder release button to gouge out my thumb knuckle on recoil. The grip is so small and the gun is so jumpy, I don't know if I could hang with it even after a trigger job.

What do you need to try a holster for? If you have any j-frame or a Glock 19, I could probably assist you.

I've never used one before and want to make sure I can conceal properly before I purchase.

Not necessarily try one out on my own, but try it with my pistol on me before walking out of the store.

Either that, or go to Four Seasons and find the compact pistol that fits me best, then get the appropriate holster with their expertise while I'm there.

You must be holding it incorrectly. You know the grooves on the side of the grip? Stick your thumb in that. If you still get bitten, well, I'm not sure what you should do then. All I know is the 442 will go bang when I really need it to, so if you walk away from almost being murdered with a boo-boo on your thumb, I highly doubt you'll even give a shit.

Good point, lol... maybe I'm stuck in the thought process of it being a range gun. When I put 50-100 rounds through it at the range, my thumb is pretty bad... but just running the 5 shots through I'm ok. Next time I go, I'll re-examine my grip again.

I usually don't switch it up often, but when I do, I tend to go down a caliber. At this rate I'll be packing a .22lr soon.

I've never used one before and want to make sure I can conceal properly before I purchase.

Not necessarily try one out on my own, but try it with my pistol on me before walking out of the store.

Either that, or go to Four Seasons and find the compact pistol that fits me best, then get the appropriate holster with their expertise while I'm there.

you can try my MTAC when i get it.

if you want to try my elite nylon IWB holster you can feel free, it will fit your sig

edirtyfour showed me this, and it really is like night and day between how I used to grip it, and how I grip it now.

Put the webbing between your thumb and forefinger as far up the backstrap as possible. It'll actually be on the metal a little bit. This makes your hand grip the gun at a steeper angle. Wrap your support hand around your strong hand, using your thumb to press the back of your hand into the backstrap.

If your hand still moves when you shoot, well, you're a wuss.[laugh] Your hand won't be able to move at all.

Like this?
Jerry2-6.gif

See http://www.shootingusa.com/PRO_TIPS/MICULEK2/miculek2.html

Warthog 50% of the time and my Sig 239 40% of the time. I also carry my S&W 637 10% of the time when just running to the store or taking dogs for a walk. In the summer time I put the Warthog and Sig 239 away and bring out my Walter ppk/s and sig 232 and use the S&W 637 a little.

Back
Top Bottom