WTF...I emailed NRA and no responce

yanici

NES Member
I know they're busy, what with the surge in new membership but we have a problem. There is a thread in the "Gun Laws" section of the forum that talks about the perilous travel, through NY, with a legal firearm locked up in your trunk. http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63216

I'm looking for an opinion here. Do you think it would be worthwhile for us Northeast Shooters to flood the NRA with emails to ask for help on this problem? Living in New England and not being able to transport through NY without trepidation just ain't right. NY happens to be a gateway we need to pass through to get to most other parts of the country. I believe that the NRA should be helping us in this regard.

Any ideas on this?

I know they're busy, what with the surge in new membership but we have a problem. There is a thread in the "Gun Laws" section of the forum that talks about the perilous travel, through NY, with a legal firearm locked up in your trunk. http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63216

I'm looking for an opinion here. Do you think it would be worthwhile for us Northeast Shooters to flood the NRA with emails to ask for help on this problem? Living in New England and not being able to transport through NY without trepidation just ain't right. NY happens to be a gateway we need to pass through to get to most other parts of the country. I believe that the NRA should be helping us in this regard.

Any ideas on this?

Here's an idea. Don't get worked up with information given to you by people who love to post a lot, but provide very little useful information. What did you want the NRA to help you with?

Here's an idea. Don't get worked up with information given to you by people who love to post a lot, but provide very little useful information. What did you want the NRA to help you with?

+1 There is no problem traveling through NY. I've been pulled over, had the LEO ask me what was in my gun cases, I told him, he asked where I was coming from and going to and sent me on my way with a speeding ticket.

NYS and FOPA

NY has a state firearms association. Just as GOAL does more in MA than the NRA, I suspect the New York State Rifle and Pistol Association would be the appropriate venue for your query.

http://www.nysrpa.org/

NYSRPA is the "main" gun rights organization of NYS, and they do try to fight the good fight, although many NY'ers would describe it as a "fighting retreat". They have some useful information on their website relating to traveling, which I suggest you review yanici. That said, their cycle time for updating items on their website is embarrassingly slow, so (unfortunately) you can't just rely on what's on their website.

In terms of "doing something about it", I'm afraid that neither the NRA nor NYSRPA have the political power to get legislation passed that would address your uneasiness. They spend all their time fighting newly proposed anti-gun legislation, which would appear to be the favorite sport of NYS and local legislators. It's amazing we don't already have ammunition serialization, microstamping, one gun a month, mandatory 40 hour training, no CCW....

I hear you on your trepidation regarding NYS and FOPA - the stories you've probably read about are real, but they are related to specific facts and circumstances that you can easily avoid. I've written it in other threads, but let me repeat: if you're traveling by car, you really won't have any problems. If you need to use a NY airport for a trip involving handguns, then I'd say you should be much more careful. PM me and I'll be happy to walk you through it.

Back
Top Bottom