• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WTB: Military Surplus Garand Ammo

Idoktr

NES Member
Looking to buy some ammo for my newly acquired Garand. Any suggestions or leads would be appreciated. Seems CMP is out of the surplus ammo.......

You can also find HXP ammo on Gunbroker, but the prices vary wildly. HXP also occasionally pops up on the CMP forums. Others have already mentioned Target Sports.

I will be digging out the ammo bunker and reducing inventory in a few months. I have a few cans of HXp that will need to go....If I can't find a way to shoot it first.

The commercial made Garand ammo is better than surplus HXP anyday. You can also recoup around .15 per rd by selling the brass

Glenn's Ammo in North Reading typically has both the new and some surplus ammo on hand.

The commercial made Garand ammo is better than surplus HXP anyday. You can also recoup around .15 per rd by selling the brass

The commercial ammo is certainly top notch, but the 192 round cans of HXP provide a lot of military grade enbloc clips.

The commercial ammo is certainly top notch, but the 192 round cans of HXP provide a lot of military grade enbloc clips.
24 actually and it's hit or miss. I bought 2 tins of 1972 HXP with 1972 clips and the clips are problematic. I have made sleds out of many of them. HXP is fine but seems to come with a flyer in each 8 rounds?

I'll bet you could barter your services for all the ammo you could ever shoot Doc.

I want to but I still have an unopened 500 rd PPU can plus 10 boxes, ~300 of the HXP on clips from cheaperthandirt, and a 192 rd spam can. Then I have 400+ of my reduced 30-06 loads. Should last me awhile at the rate I shoot 30-06 lol.

Any Idea why it is listed as "Target and Practice" ammo?

"Ammo Rating: Target & Practice 30-06 Springfield Ammo"

Why wouldn't rate the same as M2?

Meh, idk. What else are they gonna call it? It is a bit under M2 specs fwiw, not by much though. Wolf Gold 223 is basically an M193 clone and is listed as target ammo as well. Cant call it Killin Folks ammo. [laugh]

Any Idea why it is listed as "Target and Practice" ammo?

"Ammo Rating: Target & Practice 30-06 Springfield Ammo"

Why wouldn't rate the same as M2?

Because its not match ammo and its not hunting ammo so that kinda narrows it down.

Back
Top Bottom