Franken-Garand

EMTDAD

NES Member
so.. my M1, the "pizza chit" as it was so fondly called by the mini-paisan.. is a mismatch of mfg parts.. Mostly SA, but WRA trigger guard and IHC op rod.

is it worth trying to find a SA trigger guard and op rod to make it all SA? Anyone looking for these specific parts that might want to trade?

Worth it in what way? If you plan to sell it, perhaps. Function wise there is no advantage. If you just want it all SA that's up to you.
I guess it's just my OCD for matching things...

I mean, also, if someone with a WRA or IHC M1 is specifically looking for those parts, and willing to trade SA parts, I'd be open to helping them out.

As mentioned above, if you just want a shooter leave it as is. If you plan to sell you will get more money if it is correct, which will take more research and effort to be 'correct' rather than simply all SA. There's a difference given the many drawing numbers and other identifiable features to be found on the various parts. Though I do enjoy learning from the more serious collectors, mostly I just shoot M1's in CMP matches. For me, setting up a good shooter has greater value than collectibility.

Something to consider is that you can spend a lot of dinero on finding correct parts. It's possible you might not recoup the sum total when you sell the complete rifle. That's OK if you enjoy doing it.

It's a rite of passage for the Italian Stallion to give fresh CMP M1's the 'itzapizzashit' endorsement. [laugh] He has seen and/or owned some of the best ones available and via his many years winning at in-service competitions had won something like 3 dozen or so M1 trophy rifles. It's disappointing to him to see the condition of some of CMP's latest M1's. He knows more about M1's than probably anyone in the area and by word of mouth only is probably the best match M1 builder nationwide. He is occasionally wrong about M1 info, but rarely. Just don't try to convince him otherwise LOL.

Any all-matching USGI is fake. All USGI rifles are mix-and-match, and if you find one with all matching parts, someone took a bunch of parts from different rifles to assemble one that "matches".
If any garand where to be perfectly correct you would need to know if at any point they borrowed inventory from another manufacture.
The M1 carbines are even more difficult to be “correct” as there where so many sub manufactures
Not to mention finding the correct parts codes.
Basically you need to find a new in the wrap M1

Any all-matching USGI is fake. All USGI rifles are mix-and-match, and if you find one with all matching parts, someone took a bunch of parts from different rifles to assemble one that "matches".
Not necessarily true. DCM sold alot of as mfg rifles never repaired or rebuilt, including ww2 rifles, as did early days of cmp. Owned 21 such unmolested rifles with paperwork ranging from 1972-1994 and rifles dating mfg1940 to 1956. Anything out of cmp now since prob 2014 has been hobbled together "correct" grades with even now repro parts like buttplates and gas cylinders (thought saw they were looking into making op rods).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom