• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WOW! Reality check last night!

gasaman

NES Member
Now last nite, I awake from a sound sleep to my wife saying there's a man on our deck. I sit up in bed and she her peeking out the blinds of our slider. I say "what the expletive is going on"? She then says "I think he tried opening the slider". Our slider actually opens to our bed room. I jump to action but he has already made his way back to his car. Which was in our front driveway and takes off. Did I say WOW?!?

Were your cars in the driveway? If not maybe he thought your home was empty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's much too close for comfort. It's comforting to me to know I have an early warning system that every once in awhile will alert me to a non-intruder although I suspect there'd be little question if that intruder were to venture onto a deck or porch of my house. Just sayin.

Overnight UPS/FedEx delivery? :)

All kidding aside, it just goes to show that there's a lot of crime happening out there. Even though he DIDNT get in, he tried and was thwarted. And stuff like this happens often and never gets reported.

Crazy world. 2 nights ago I awoke at 2:30AM to 8-10 loud bangs on my front porch. The windows on my front porch lead directly into the house, pretty scary. I jumped out of bed, told the wife to grab a pistol, and I grabbed my Rem870. Turned on all the lights and the banging stopped. I have no idea what or who it was...but like said above, you never know when it might be you.

Now last nite, I awake from a sound sleep to my wife saying there's a man on our deck. I sit up in bed and she her peeking out the blinds of our slider. I say "what the expletive is going on"? She then says "I think he tried opening the slider". Our slider actually opens to our bed room. I jump to action but he has already made his way back to his car. Which was in our front driveway and takes off. Did I say WOW?!?

Close call, glad everything is ok

But on a not so serious note, if your gonna use the s&w 500 in self defence, make sure you put on your earmuffs, believe me no one will win if you dont

Motion lights came on, he still walked up 3 deck steps then about 12' to the slider. All within in view of my street, any car going by could have seen him on my deck.

Funny you post this. I'm writing this as I'm sitting in the Lowe's parking lot. Picking up a new door and lock set for my gun room. Last thing I want to someone getting their grubby paws on my prized possessions

Edit

Before anyone asks yes it's going to be a steel door and doorframe

That's a scary close call .... After being woken and "jumping into action" I'm assuming you grabbed a firearm. How long from climbing out of bed was the firearm actually in your possession? Might be something to think about incase he comes back a little more motivated to get in

While I was cleaning my car in one of the storms, I noticed 2 guys approaching my car. One back handed his buddies arm, and then went toward the back of my car, while the other continues toward the front, kinda like they were trying to flank me. I unholstered my pistolm and quickly put it in my jacket pocket, taking a step back so my back is against the other car. I'm trying to keep an eye on both, while facing more toward whoever is closest. Turns out one was trying to sell me a necklace, and the other walked right by towards the bodega.

Back when I was in Lynn I was crouched down putting air in a leaky tire I had. It was 2:30am, downtown, on my way to work. Not a soul out. This "fella" started to come up behind me, i could feel him approaching. I stood up and just reached my hand behind my back and made steady eye contact with him with a "let's not f*** around" face. He put both hands up, palms out. Just a feeble junkie looking for a dollar.

That's a scary close call .... After being woken and "jumping into action" I'm assuming you grabbed a firearm. How long from climbing out of bed was the firearm actually in your possession? Might be something to think about incase he comes back a little more motivated to get in

What if he sleeps in the nude? Gun first? Or undies? There was a thread about this last year can't find it. OP no need to post pics of your sleep attire.

always on yellow alert.
This. I live on a fairly untraveled road (about 100 yards long) and any car driving, idling, or stopped in my 'hood brings me to the window. The motion lights let me know if they've come to my door. There have been a few instances where I've flown down the stairs between 2:30 and 4:30 am, but it's usually the paper-delivery person or a neighbor's booty call. My neighbors have an aluminum wheelchair ramp that makes a ruckus when tread upon. My two most memorable moments last year was 1)someone driving VERY slow shining a flashlight onto (and even into) my neighbors' homes, going up once and coming back five minutes later. They were confronted with a 'what the f--- are you doing?' (Delivering the paper)
and 2) a car drove ONTO my neighbors yard, put the car in park and I had run downstairs just quick enough to catch her driving around the corner. The goddamn paper delivery girl was too fat and lazy to get out of the car to check the address. I was furious to have been woken up because of this gross laziness, and let her know how I felt about it.
I live in a fairly safe neighborhood, with very little crime, but it's important not to forgo vigilance. All it takes is one instant to turn a safe neighborhood into a crime scene.

It was very quick, wife actually commented about the timing this morning.

Scary that the cars, street, and motion lights did not deter the person.

We got motion lights and cameras, now I'm debating getting a dog.

What if he sleeps in the nude? Gun first? Or undies? There was a thread about this last year can't find it. OP no need to post pics of your sleep attire.

There is no doubt - gun first. Not even a question.

OP, any idea why he selected your house? Do you live in an isolated area? Do you keep a traditional schedule or work nights?

Scary that the cars, street, and motion lights did not deter the person.

We got motion lights and cameras, now I'm debating getting a dog.

Right! I have the vehicles more stretegly placed tonite.
The game camera idea is great. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

That's ballsy.

yup

and I / we keep a fairly regular schedule.

Back
Top Bottom