WOW! Reality check last night!

Hey I'm glad he bolted before it got worse, and nice reaction time. The motion lights are key, game cameras too, and the furry trip flare if you can. Did you call the PD? It's possible you weren't the only one probed that night, and it's possible someone has a plate or description etc. Can't hurt to report it.

I went down the station the next morning and made a report. Nothing else was reported that could be related.

uvapuse3.jpg

These are the best early warning systems you can get

this smells bad, if you had cars in drive, then this guy is spying/stalking/breaking in on an occupied situation. any videos neighbors might have, i would up security and install some cameras and motion sensors that chime you. you need to identitfy this guy.

What woke your wife up?

Get some driveway sensor alarms. Harbor freight has them.
You can place them all over your yard and have the sirens next to the bed.

Crazy world. 2 nights ago I awoke at 2:30AM to 8-10 loud bangs on my front porch. The windows on my front porch lead directly into the house, pretty scary. I jumped out of bed, told the wife to grab a pistol, and I grabbed my Rem870. Turned on all the lights and the banging stopped. I have no idea what or who it was...but like said above, you never know when it might be you.

You want to light up the outside of the house, not the inside. What you did allows them to see you while making it nearly impossible for you to see outside. I saw this on TV (Midway Best Defense) so it must be true...... But in all seriousness, lighting up the inside is not the best idea... But in the heat of the moment, sometimes you don't think about such things.

when i build my next house, i will make it a fortress, except for one steel basement door which will be unlocked, once you enter and pass a certain point towards the stairway, a solenoid activated bolt will shut the door so that it cannot be opened. this part of the basement will be fireproof soundproof and windowless. after 24 hours a 26 watt lightbulb will come on illuminating the room. an intercom like panel will be visible, when the talk button is pushed a recording will say "put the lotion in the basket". [rofl]

That does it, I just drilled a small hole in each security light switch (front & back areas) and ran a fishing line to each. The switches are located at the bottom of the stairs - directly below the top landing. I looped it over the post, now if there is an issue outside I just pull the line, easy to find and only one hand needed, the gun will already be in the other.

That security cam idea is looking better all the time.

Glad it worked out, meaning no one got in.

(My security lights are 4 heads per switch 2 bulbs per head - lots of light)

Last edited:

Poop my pants!

To the OP, good thing nothing happened. I wonder if the guy had the wrong house or was trying to rob you or what. I had someone come to my apartment door once and begin trying to bash in the door. I loaded my revolver and pointed it at the door and he left, turned out to be some neighbors friend at the wrong door but all he did was slam into the door angrily and yell "OPEN UP" so I was ready to shoot the guy.

I grew up in MA, and after a series of bad decisions ended up living in Fresno CA for a few years. in almost 30 years in MA I never once felt the need for a gun...2 months in Fresno and I very much felt the need. One night about 2 am I was woken up by someone pounding on my apartment door...I mean hitting it hard enough to shake the walls. I grabbed my 870 and looking through the peep hole saw a large African American gentleman and his smaller, tattoo covered Mexican friend. After a few more knocks realized they were not going away I opened the door, took a step back and leveled the shotgun at the bigger guys chest. Turns out they were looking for the guy in the APT across the walkway from me...but I am certain if I didn't have a gun on them I was at least getting robbed and beaten. needless to say I didn't get much sleep the rest of the night.

We live in a realitively rural area of Vt. 1/4 mile long dead end dirt road offf a state highway. 3 houses on the road, ours is the first one, about 300 yds. off the highway and about 150 yds from the middle house. 4 days ago my next door neighbor e-mails me to ask if we were up and around early that AM...like 2 AM. I told her that we certianly were not and our Labradog never stirred off the bed all night. She said there was someone in their driveway at 2 AM. I asked her how the he** she knew someone was there at 2AM? Turns out she bought her husband a security camera for Xmas. Sent me the video, and sure enough here comes this guy almost up to their front door, pauses, (probably sees the camera), then turns around and beets feet outta there back in the direction of our house. They sent the video to the SP...but whatever...
I told them to be sure to keep their 2- 6 shooters loaded. Maybe this instance will help convince them that they need to spend some time at the range so they actually have a prayer of hitting what they may have to shoot at.

At our house, if they get past the dog, they will still need to deal with the 870 backed up by 2 laser/light equiped semi autos with STD capacity SD ammo. All loaded and within easy reach. (no kids anymore)

Vermont is NOT what it used to be. I have a friend whose RN daughter just started working at a methadone clinic. She and another RN see about 300 patients from 5 am untill 11 am 3 days a week. His daughter is suprised by how many of them she knows. They're waiting in the parking lot at 4 am.
JD

Back
Top Bottom