WOW a FULL RACK of AR's

I think this place has a negotiate-the-price policy. Everything is marked at MSRP, and you're free to make an offer. I don't know if I care for that. Their SKSs are always overpriced. I don't think they're particularly knowledgeable in the milsurp category, generally.

Lol.....people are willing to pay a marked up panic prices and stand in line for over an hour but won't drive a few hours .

Rofl.

Well I Lived in Housatonic until I was 24...We had no such rule!! Especially after Alice bought my mothers store....!!
But I took the link off.
We will keep it a secret!!!

Last edited:
Yes there is a place called H--------C.

Ken, the first rule of The Berkshires is you don't give away any locations.

Other than, maybe "Yeah, it's down the road a piece. You follow the road 'til it turns dirt, then you keep going 'til you pass where Petersen's barn used to be before it burned down...of course, by then you've gone too far so you'll have to turn around, but you won't be able to because the roads wicked narrer there since the 'bankin' got warshed away two hurricanes ago..."

[video=dailymotion;xkgmyo]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkgmyo_aaron-lewis-country-boy_music#.UNYl--0srS8[/video]

Other than, maybe "Yeah, it's down the road a piece. You follow the road 'til it turns dirt, then you keep going 'til you pass where Petersen's barn used to be before it burned down...of course, by then you've gone too far so you'll have to turn around, but you won't be able to because the roads wicked narrer there since the 'bankin' got warshed away two hurricanes ago..."

i live here, but STILL
hehehmn_16134.gif

Well, Dan and I stopped in there to-nite and, sure enough, there's a sign that spells out the Gun Store Rules, and it includes a prohibition against loaded firearms in the store and a requirement that staff be notified of all (unloaded) firearms being brought in. I'll give the owner the benefit of the doubt and assume it's some kind of insurance requirement. Nobody patted me down upon entering and, based on my chat with the owner I think he'd look at me like I was nuts if I offered him an unloaded handgun for safekeeping.

The store has been remodeled since my last visit. All the long guns are behind the counter now, except for those stored overhead, so they're not as fondleable as they used to be. Lots of Evil Black Rifles available, but they're moving fast. Three were sold during the 25 minutes or so that I was there. One guy was buying an basic Stag, M4 type, for under $1000. He was a newb, and he looked (and smelled) like he had been drinking. He was unsure about buying a "flat top" vs a rifle with a carry handle, and wondered aloud about mounting a sight. I told him about detachable carry handles, and he bought the "flat top".

Ammo was plentiful, and .223 was available in several flavors, from TulAmmo for $6.99 a box to PRVI at $12.99. I bought 300 rounds of ammo. I won't say which because I really don't want to start a lot of opinion setters off on a discussion of which ammo/price/bullet weight/box color and logo is superior, preferential, a great bargain or totally sucks.

Busiest I've ever seen the place. They sold a Smith M&P 40c while we were there, too. The kid was probably buying it for his mom, who is French, and needs something to shoot while her husband is cooking.

housatonic sounds like a drink or acid pill

The USS Housatonic was a Union warship and the first ship to be sunk by a submarine when the H.L. Hunley rammed it with a spar torpedo in February 1864. The Housatanic was named after the river which flows through the Berkshires.

I though everyone knew that.

what gringo said. you may have been in there when i was! MassMark and myself were wandering about. i was attempting to get a price on a second gen smith auto and the third gen smith autos they have there...which were way over priced.

what gringo said. you may have been in there when i was! MassMark and myself were wandering about. i was attempting to get a price on a second gen smith auto and the third gen smith autos they have there...which were way over priced.

They have some kind of odd pricing policy. Everything is pretty much subject to negotiation, or something. Most items are marked with the MSRP and the words "Ask Us!".

Well, Dan and I stopped in there to-nite and, sure enough, there's a sign that spells out the Gun Store Rules, and it includes a prohibition against loaded firearms in the store and a requirement that staff be notified of all (unloaded) firearms being brought in. I'll give the owner the benefit of the doubt and assume it's some kind of insurance requirement. Nobody patted me down upon entering and, based on my chat with the owner I think he'd look at me like I was nuts if I offered him an unloaded handgun for safekeeping.

The store has been remodeled since my last visit. All the long guns are behind the counter now, except for those stored overhead, so they're not as fondleable as they used to be. Lots of Evil Black Rifles available, but they're moving fast. Three were sold during the 25 minutes or so that I was there. One guy was buying an basic Stag, M4 type, for under $1000. He was a newb, and he looked (and smelled) like he had been drinking. He was unsure about buying a "flat top" vs a rifle with a carry handle, and wondered aloud about mounting a sight. I told him about detachable carry handles, and he bought the "flat top".

Ammo was plentiful, and .223 was available in several flavors, from TulAmmo for $6.99 a box to PRVI at $12.99. I bought 300 rounds of ammo. I won't say which because I really don't want to start a lot of opinion setters off on a discussion of which ammo/price/bullet weight/box color and logo is superior, preferential, a great bargain or totally sucks.

Busiest I've ever seen the place. They sold a Smith M&P 40c while we were there, too. The kid was probably buying it for his mom, who is French, and needs something to shoot while her husband is cooking.

Ha!

I should've worn my NES hat! I could've shook Gringo's hand!

I was with my son and stayed near the back where the LEO Glock's are cased until my purchase was concluded. Apparently the exact time you were there last night. I bit my tongue during the "What's the difference between a Windham and a Bushmaster?" questions, and my son mentioned if I noticed the "guy who had been drinking."

Nice, nice people. Gave me a good cash deal on the Glock.

Anyone notice if they had any AR10?
Ha!

I was with my son and stayed near the back where the LEO Glock's are cased until my purchase was concluded. Apparently the exact time you were there last night. I bit my tongue during the "What's the difference between a Windham and a Bushmaster?" questions, and my son mentioned if I noticed the "guy who had been drinking."

I think that guy was there the last time I went in. I'm pretty sure he just sort of walked around and shot the shit; he handled zero firearms while I was there (whew).

As for the "No Loaded Firearms" sign, pretty much everybody in there has a noticeable square bulge in their shirt. One guy almost pulled out his carry piece once to show me how easily it carried in the fake cell phone holster. I gave him a wide-eyed look and assured him I'd seen them before - AKA "Keep it in your pants, yo".

There's almost always a cop in there talking guns when I go. Overall it's a pretty friendly place. The pricing is a bit weird. I don't like having to ask what everything costs.

I may have to swing by tomorrow to check on the inventory. Last time there were only a few ARs and I accidentally spent my AR money on something else. Oops.

Funny. As. Hell.

Because it's true.

Ha!

Huh. Maybe a brief road trip is in order.

Did they happen to have any AR complete uppers? I'm OK on lower receivers.

If he was there when we were, I would have man-hugged him... [grin]

manhug.jpg

"Oh snap it's zbrod, he's back!" I know people, contain your excitement.

I actually made the 2.5 hour drive (each way) this morning from Somerville to check this place out after hearing about this thread, ended up buying a Windham for $1,050. I didn't have an AR and wanted to be sure I had one just in case a new AWB goes through. Since I was scouring this thread for info I thought other people might be interested in this place.

As was mentioned, the store is only open select times, such as today from 9am-2pm. I had emailed them after reading this thread to see what they had in stock for AR's, they got back to me fairly quickly but not with very detailed information. I tried calling this morning to try and figure out if the drive would be worth it, was only able to get through the third time and they couldn't talk long, so I just had to say **** it and go for it.

Place wasn't hard to find and it's a pretty nice store. It wasn't too crowded, under 10 people there plus an old guy, a younger guy, and a woman who all worked there, all very nice. They were pretty busy though and didn't have much time to deal with the phone, as I suspected. The old guy was very talkative though and showed me the AR's, I didn't feel rushed at all which was a welcome change. For those of you who were antsy about the no concealed carry rule though, I suggest not asking him his opinion on 30 rnd mags, you might not like it.

I'm an AR noob, I had a vague idea of what I wanted and I'll try my best to recollect what they had in stock. They seemed to have maybe 20 AR's, I'm bad at counting. Most of them were the longer 20" variety, often performance/competition models. For example they had 2 of the M&P 15 Performance Center models (but no other S&W). The others consisted of Colt and Bushmaster (I took the last Windham I think). Not as many carbines, and there were others in the store scooping those up while I was there (the Bushmasters in particular). So there's probably still a good amount of Colt 20" rifles in stock.

As for prices, I have no idea. I payed $1,050 for the Windham flat-top. Most prices in the store seem negotiable but they wouldn't budge on the AR's (or I'm just a bad negotiator--they said it was due to shipping costs and obviously demand). I talked with the younger guy for a bit and he explained why but maintained they were not price gouging even though they could, I'll take his word for it. I know one of the Bushmasters was $1,100 and another $1,700. Not sure what the Colts were but I'm guessing pricey. I didn't mind paying MSRP, I just didn't want to pay any ridiculous premium on top of that, and $1,050 didn't seem unreasonable.

Background check went really fast, apparently the online thing is not under any extra stress. I also bought a cheap red dot sight as the AR I bought was a flat-top, some cleaning supplies, and some ammo. They seemed to have a decent amount of .223 in stock, they had the 100 round boxes of Federal (?) brass for $45, which seems pricey to me, I don't know what it usually goes for. They also had steel/tin/whatever target ammo for $7.50 per 20 rnds, so a little cheaper. I picked up 200 rnds of that.

Overall I'm happy I made the trip, and I hope this info is helpful to anyone else planning to. I think you can still get some AR's if you get there within the next week, I would email them just to be sure. Certainly if you're looking for Colts with 20" barrels or (possibly overpriced) ammo. Feel free to hit me with any questions/berate me for my noob-ness (DM;AR).

haha Zbrod is back armed with an AR! $1050 is reasonable in the current market. Sucks but reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom