Would the S.W.A.T. Team show up?

OK, here's the scenario a friend asked me the other day. I have [size=+2]NO intention[/size] of doing this, it was a question he asked.

He asked: If I took one of my AR's (or any other rifle I own) and decided to sit on my front porch and clean it in full view (NO ammo anywhere near me) of a public street could I do it, or would the SWAT TEAM show up and haul me away? I live on a fairly busy street.

Specifics:

I'd be on my own private property
I'm properly licensed
Gun is properly registered

What do you think?

Last edited:
OK, here's the scenario a friend asked me the other day. I have NO intention of doing this, it was a question he asked.

He asked: If I took one of my AR's (or any other rifle I own) and decided to sit on my front porch and clean it in full view (NO ammo anywhere near me) of a public street could I do it, or would the SWAT TEAM show up and haul me away? I live on a fairly busy street.

Specifics:

I'd be on my own private property
I'm properly licensed
Gun is properly registered

What do you think?
Most likely, you would be shot first and there will be plenty of time for questions at the coroner's inquest. My advice? Don't even THINK about a stupid move like that one! There are less painful ways to commit suicide, if you are so inclined.

I dont think the S.W.A.T. Team would show up. But there is only one way to find out. Call your friend over and give him a gun and a cleaning kit [smile]

Last edited:
what about a situation where you weren't so blatant? For instance, if you were cleaning your guns in your kitchen or in an open area where a neighbor could visibly see you doing so even though you had no intentions of announcing yourself to anyone, what would happen if the neighbor called the police (not realizing you a valid LTC-holder/gun owner)?

what about a situation where you weren't so blatant? For instance, if you were cleaning your guns in your kitchen or in an open area where a neighbor could visibly see you doing so even though you had no intentions of announcing yourself to anyone, what would happen if the neighbor called the police (not realizing you a valid LTC-holder/gun owner)?

I don't think the police would even show up to investigate something like that..what you do in your home is none of the neighbor's business and the police would probably tell them so...or I would at least hope they would...investigating something like that would be a ridiculous waste of time and resources...

But then again, we are in mASSachusetts

my son was plinking cans with a pellet rifle last week in my yard, as I was using the AR scope to see the hits. Guy across the street comes walking around the side of the house, takes a look...'wow, nice rifle...can I borrow your ladder?'

all depends on your neighbors

I think the picnic table would be a better location.

More room for cleaning gear.

That's where I clean mine.

My old man does the same, sometimes while drinking a beer or a glass of wine with the neighbor who cleans his mint issued M1 Garand at the same time

I've done my AR on my back deck many times but that's a whole different animal from the front stoop.

I don't know all of my neighbors so there's no way I'd sit out in the open with any firearm. And yes I'd assume some sheep would call the authorities on me.

And besides, ever disassembled and cleaned a gun outside and have a spring or pin go flying into the stratosphere? Yes I realize there's many intances where we might need to do such a thing outdoors, but if given the choice, I'm at my desk where I have at least a chance in hell of finding said airborn component.

I think the picnic table would be a better location.

More room for cleaning gear.

That's where I clean mine.

maybe in the company of this guy?

bear-sitting-picnic-table.jpg

he might keep S.W.A.T. away [wink]

Possession of a firearm is not against the law in MA if you're properly licensed. Therefore the act of cleaning a firearm on private property is not against the law either. Chances are someone might call the cops (depending on your neighbors) but once they show up and realize the situation there is nothing they can do against you. If laws aren't being broken there is no reason for law enforcement now is there?

Possession of a firearm is not against the law in MA if you're properly licensed. Therefore the act of cleaning a firearm on private property is not against the law either. Chances are someone might call the cops (depending on your neighbors) but once they show up and realize the situation there is nothing they can do against you. If laws aren't being broken there is no reason for law enforcement now is there?

Other then deciding that your upsetting your neighbors makes you an unuitable person and taking your LTC away, nope, there's nothing they can do to you.

with the "enhanced 911" as soon as they get the call with an address, they already that you are properly licensed and that you have guns. I think they would tell you to stop scaring the sheep. Worst case scenario is your found unsuitable by your chief.

Other then deciding that your upsetting your neighbors makes you an unuitable person and taking your LTC away, nope, there's nothing they can do to you.

Ayup. I wouldn't doubt there's some CLEOs out there that would deny you a renewal based on a "disturbing the peace" call.

Heck, I even take a quick look up and down the street before leaving the house to bring a rifle case to my car if I'm going to the range.

Paranoid? Me? Yeah sure, whatever. Living in this state will do that to you. [hmmm]

Heck, I even take a quick look up and down the street before leaving the house to bring a rifle case to my car if I'm going to the range.

Paranoid? Me? Yeah sure, whatever. Living in this state will do that to you. [hmmm]

i'm with you on this one...i unlock my house before i even open the trunk to grab my rifle case on my way back from the range

Nothing they can do against you? Um, no. Here in MA we have discretionary licensing. Your chief can decide you are unsuitable for most any reason, and I highly doubt a judge would overrule him if he decided you were unsuitable after responding to such an incident.

They can always cite you for disturbing the peace for almost no reason at all. If multiple neighbors called about you explaning you were "waving your gun around," e.g., turning it around as you were cleaning it, then that is justification to cite or arrest you for that crime.

I am not saying it would be a valid or enforceable charge, but why take the risk if you can clean the gun in your backyard, garage or elsewhere.

I am all about civil liberties, but don't invite trouble for the sake of trouble. If you need to clean it out front for some reason - no backyard, no garage and can't have solvents in the house, then maybe you have good and just cause for doing so. I think common sense applies in this situation.

Ayup. I wouldn't doubt there's some CLEOs out there that would deny you a renewal based on a "disturbing the peace" call.

I do the same thing. I doubt many of my neighbors would know that it was a rifle (they'd probably assume it was a musical instrument), but I'd rather not deal with anyone. Especially in a red town. It wouldn't take much for them to at least bump me down to restricted.

While true, if they have the support of a judicial decision alleging that you are unsuitable, it would be a really easy call for the COP.

1) The judicial decision in a disturbing the peace call would not be that you were unsuitable to be licensed. The judicial decision would be that you were guilty of disturbing the peace - a misdemeanor.

2) The CLEO doesn't need any kind of judicial decision to support his decision that you are unsuitable. He doesn't have to go to convince a judge that you are unsuitable to make that decision. He just makes up his mind, sends over a cruiser to retrieve your LTC, ammo, and guns.

3) It is only if you appeal the revocation to a judge that a judge's opinion becomes important. The judge will almost always rule in favor of the CLEO. The incident record describing what happened -- you were hanging out on the front porch with your rifle, neighbors freaked, police were called -- would be more than enough to virtually guarantee that the judge would uphold the CLEO's finding of unsuitability.

4) While the CLEO may or may not decide to press charges of disturbing the peace, I seriously doubt he would await a final decision on that prior to revoking your LTC. Court cases get continued forever here in MA, and a first charge of disturbing the peace is almost guaranteed to receive a CWOF. If he's the type to revoke your LTC over this type of incident, IMHO he's most likely to do it right away.

I highly doubt any of this would actually happen and this whole thread is nothing but conjecture. Could it happen? Sure it could happen but most Chiefs (and officers) have better things to do than bust peoples balls who aren't breaking any laws.

If you want a true answer call your chief and ask him what he thinks are suitable places to clean your firearms on your property.

I usualy host my airsoft teams summer BBQs, this has atleast 15 or so people running around my yard with AR looking airsoft rifles, wrestling/sparring, and tactic drills all happening within plane view of my street. also usualy people come to drop there stuff off at my place to fix, real guns in cases, but airsoft usualy just carried by hand. so far so good. but I think my neighbors are used to me by now, lol.

Back
Top Bottom