• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woukd i legally be able to purchase a long gun in Vermont if I'm a Mass resident if I leave it in Vermont?

Does Vermont do background checks, would I need to transfer thr rifle or shotgun to Mass, do I need ID? I'd love a rifle for the purpose of just target practice at a range. I only work in Vermont I have to drive through. Just curious what the laws are like, thanks for any help.

You’re subject to the laws of the state that you are currently within, not where your legal home address is.
You can only buy a long gun out of state from an FFL. That FFL is required to follow the laws of his state of operation AND your state of residence.

An FFL in a state other than your home state is not going to sell you something that violates the law in your home state if they do they are incredibly stupid. Expect any gun you buy outside of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to be Massachusetts compliant. The amount of evil features will be limited

An FFL in a state other than your home state is not going to sell you something that violates the law in your home state if they do they are incredibly stupid. Expect any gun you buy outside of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to be Massachusetts compliant. The amount of evil features will be limited

Unless it’s a pre-ban rifle.

I think the OP lives in Boston so there is still the Boston AWB to consider IIRC.

Oh really? Please elaborate.
From the ATF FAQ. See the part I have bolded below.

May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another state?​

Generally, a firearm may not lawfully be sold by a licensee to a nonlicensee who resides in a state other than the state in which the seller’s licensed premises is located. However, the sale may be made if the firearm is shipped to a licensee whose business is in the purchaser’s state of residence and the purchaser takes delivery of the firearm from the licensee in his or her state of residence.

In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.

Full text here: May a licensee sell a firearm to a nonlicensee who is a resident of another state? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Long guns can be bought across state lines, when purchased from a FFL, and IMHO the rifle or shotgun meets any requirements imposed by the buyers home state.

Handguns and "firearms" like the Shockwave can NOT be sold to non residents by a FFL unless shipped to a FFL in the buyers home state for transfer

No private party sales of any gun are allowed across a state line unless handled by a FFL

MA does not allow a FFL to sell a long gun to an out of state resident.

Long guns can be bought across state lines, when purchased from a FFL, and IMHO the rifle or shotgun meets any requirements imposed by the buyers home state.
Minor quibble: the dealer needs to follow the laws in both states. In this case, the laws in the buyer’s state (MA) are more restrictive.

OP just move to NH
Why pay tax in a state that you is restricting your 2A rights to zero
(someone else can confirm if a improper storage conviction is a federal disqualification)

Last edited:
Just to be clear .... in the the ATF regulation quoted a "Firearm" refers to a a gun with a barrel less than 16 inches long (i.e. a handgun or SBR). That definition can be found in 26 U.S.C. Chapter 53
The part of that law pertinent to this conversation is the second paragraph:

In addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the state where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over–the–counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with state law in the state where the licensee is located and in the state where the purchaser resides.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom