Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Gun permit plan takes hit

Worcester may fight ruling

By Milton J. Valencia TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

WORCESTER— The Police Department’s strict gun-licensing policy has lost its first court challenge, with a District Court judge overturning the suspension of a Shrewsbury man’s permit to carry a gun, Police Chief Gary J. Gemme said.

The suspension came after the man was arrested for punching his wife in the face.

Chief Gemme stands by the policy and the suspension, saying he has the authority to decide who is suitable to hold a gun permit. In this case, the chief said, the Shrewsbury man is not, and the chief is seeking other ways to revoke the man’s permit. The man applied for his permit in Worcester because he works here.

Under the policy enacted a year ago, the chief reserves the right to determine who is suitable to carry a gun by considering a person’s history, particularly violence. The person’s history does not depend on whether he was ever convicted. State law bans felons from possessing a gun but allows local authorities to consider other factors when issuing a gun permit.

Gun-rights groups blasted Chief Gemme’s policy, saying it’s too broad and infringes on personal rights. Chief Gemme has maintained the policy was needed to keep guns out of the hands of gangsters and people with violent histories.

The chief has suspended more than 30 licenses and revoked others in the last year.

In the case of the Shrewsbury man, the chief suspended the license on Sept. 14, two days after the man was arraigned on charges he had punched his wife in the face.

According to court records, Raymond J. Holden, 52, of 6 Rice St., Shrewsbury, had been out with his wife drinking and having dinner when the two began arguing. She called a cab, but he eventually drove her to her daughter’s house, on Main Street, Shrewsbury, according to the records. While parked in the driveway, he allegedly punched her in the face, then made his way to the other side of the car and dragged her out of the passenger side door. The woman’s daughter called police.

According to court records, Mr. Holden told police that he did hit his wife, after she hit him first. Police noticed a scrape on Mr. Holden’s face, but they considered it was an old wound received before the fight, according to court records. Mr. Holden was charged with domestic assault and battery.

The case was later dismissed.

Mr. Holden sought the reinstatement of his firearms permit and was denied. He challenged the denial in Central District Court.

In a ruling released Monday, the court reinstated the license. Associate Justice Dennis J. Brennan wrote that, while police could base the suspension on the initial arrest, they could not reject the request to reinstate the license because the charge had been dismissed. Justice Brennan wrote that there is no factual determination from the case to base the decision to reject the reinstatement.

“The court takes judicial notice that many allegations of criminal conduct, whether made by citizens or by police officers, are without foundation in fact,” the judge wrote.

Chief Gemme said the city may appeal the ruling and the department is considering other ways to revoke the permit. He said the judge ruled that the suspension could not be based on the charges because the charges were dismissed. But, the chief said, he still has the authority to consider a person’s past. He cited the state law that gives him the authority to consider an applicant’s past, regardless of the suppression of evidence, dismissal of charges or even in the case of a gubernatorial pardon.

The chief’s argument was listed in court records, saying past rulings have upheld a licensing authority’s consideration of a person’s history, even if there are no charges.

“Furthermore, the courts have held (that) the licensing authority is allowed to consider evidence of volatile relationships, evidence from illegal searches, dismissed charges, relevant hearsay and lack of compliance with firearms laws in determining suitability,” the city argued.

Chief Gemme said his biggest concern is the domestic violence charge, noting such charges are often dismissed because a witness, or victim, decides not to cooperate in court. Still, the chief said, that doesn’t mean the domestic violence never happened.

Mr. Holden could not be reached for comment.

The chief said reluctant witnesses have made it harder to prosecute domestic violence incidents, but he stressed such cases are a concern for police because of the nature of the crime.

“It’s not something that just happens once,” the chief said. “There’s a very high probability it’s going to happen again.”

Interesting article. IMO though unless someone someone is actually convicted of the crime how is it possibly fair that they have their license revoked? I wonder where the ACLU is on this issue (joke, joke)- I'm sure this happens all the time! Now maybe the police have "evidence" that there really is abuse and if they couldn't convict him and revote his license legally that sucks... I don't like wife beaters. But a charge without a conviction is nothing in my opinion. Local chiefs have way to much discretion.

It's nice to see the tide changing and that that thing....what's it called? Oh ya, DUE PROCESS back.

I read this article in the T&G this morning and I am glad that Len posted it.
One thing that I am a little unclear about is why the person was issued the permit had one from Worcester and Shrewsbury. I only thought that one could have a permit from another town that they resided in only if they owned a business there. According to T&G the man worked in Worcester, there was no indication that he owned a business there. Now I realize this is a small point, and one that could be attributed to incomplete reporting and failure to get all of the facts, a fairly common occurrance.

The other aspect of this, is that I thought that a chief had the authority to revoke any license any time if he or she (the chief) deemed a person not suitable.

While I am glad to see the court weigh in and weigh in favor of the license holder, I am not sure if that license holder is the person we want for a gun rights poster child, still it isn't the poster children that get laws changed most of the time.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Mark

I'm very surprised that the judge found for the defendant. If the chief can appeal the ruling, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets overturned.

"I'm very surprised that the judge found for the defendant. If the chief can appeal the ruling, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets overturned."

Having JUST been before this judge and seen the cartwheels he turned to uphold a chief that :

1. Refused to file an Answer to the Petition;

2. Refused to provide discovery;

3. Refused to even attend the hearing on the motion to compel discovery;

4. Refused to abide by the order compelling discovery; and

5. Who wrote a personal appeal to the judge and the clerk;

I am ASTONISHED that this judge overturned the Worcester chief.

I am told that Brennan is THE most overturned judge in the system and that his caseload is limited accordingly. I have little doubt that the Worcester chief will spend tax dollars appealing Brennan's bizarre ruling and even less doubt that Brennan's decision will be reversed.

I believe that I read somewhere that the guy did indeed own a business in Worcester. That is the ONLY way that he would have been eligible for a Worcester issued LTC, UNLESS he had moved from Worcester to Shrewsbury after his LTC was issued.

Back
Top Bottom