Worc. PD going to M&P

[wink]It has been decided..WPD will be go to the S&W M&P 45....... A training officer has told me they have had them in train for @ a year and will be going to then. AND the Glocks they have will be traded in.... Sooooo hopefully they will find there way into the Ma gun pool[rofl]... BUT I DOUBT that![frown]

Considering this is Chief Gemme we're talking about here, I'm surprised he lets his officers HAVE guns and not just whistles. [rolleyes]

Considering this is Chief Gemme we're talking about here, I'm surprised he lets his officers HAVE guns and not just whistles. [rolleyes]

No, no Ross. Gemme thinks guns are just fine, but only Cops should have them. [thinking]

Gemme is a chump.

Is this a pistol which is not on the Attorney General's "list". So it has not been tested to MA standard, and is therefore presumed not safe for the public to buy, because it is too cheap and likely to explode in their hands or fire by itself at random? Seems like a poor choice for the police to use then.

Huh? They need a year to train before they issue them? How many cops are we talking about?

No they have been using them in the Training Dept.(I guess)
They were approached by S&W ..sooo ..they may have had 1 0r 2 for a year.

Both my father and sister had no issues getting their LTC-A no restrictions from him and it only took a little over 2 weeks.[thinking]

I stand by my comments. Gemme is a chump. He has been quoted as saying only cops need guns.

http://www.worcestermagazine.com/content/view/1820/

Given these factors, Gemme says the increase has to be put into perspective. "Between January 2003 and December 2003, we issued 1,300 licenses to carry. When I became chief in 2004, I changed the policy and at the end of the year we gave out 674."

His first year in Gemme cut the license renewals in half. You know because the city has gotten safer since he's been in command. [rolleyes]

http://www.galleryofguns.com/ShootingTimes/Articles/displayarticles.asp?id=6655

Chief Gemme said his new policy narrows the definition of a "suitable" person.

Under his plan, an applicant can be disqualified if he or she:

Has been arrested for a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years;

Has been arrested for any felony or any incident involving physical violence or threats to commit physical violence;

Has been involved in a domestic violence incident that results in the issuance of a temporary or permanent restraining order against him or her;

Has had any drug arrest, including marijuana;

Does not have a job;

Has been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or has multiple minor alcohol-related arrests;

Has had any past or present affiliation, association or cohabitation with any person or group with a known criminal history.

Moreover, the chief said he will ask applicants their intended use of the weapon, rather than allowing them to check off a box saying it's for "all lawful purposes."

Under the chief's plan, the only allowed purposes will be:

Sporting, for which the gun can be used only at shooting and target clubs;

Target practice, for which it can be used only at a shooting club or facility;

Hunting, for which a license will only be issued for a large- capacity rifle and a shotgun;

Personal protection, in which case the applicant must specify the reason he fears injury to himself or his property.

The chief also listed criteria an applicant must follow under the personal protection category: If a license is issued for work or employment, the weapon may only be used while acting within the scope of employment, such as transporting money to and from a place of employment or depository. If it's for a business, the weapon may only be kept at the business, or may be carried within a set time frame. If the weapon is used for protection at home, the license holder may not remove the weapon from the home. Anyone violating the terms of the license could see the license revoked.

Under the chief's plan, only active and retired law enforcement holders may say the weapon will be used for "all lawful purposes."

The policy applies to first-time applicants and applicants for license renewals.

The chief has said that state law does not cover every angle needed to examine a gun applicant. He has questioned if a suitable person is someone who, though he has a clean record, "takes his firearm, concealed, toward a nightclub at 2 in the morning." He has said the new policy was meant to limit the scope of people who qualify to hold a gun and will assure they're using a gun for proper purposes.

"We're going to go from being one of the more liberal (departments) in the state to one of the more restrictive," Chief Gemme said.

It doesn't get any clearer than that. If your father and sister got ALP from him in two weeks they know somebody. [thinking]

Gemme is a commie chump.

Note that just being ARRESTED will disqualify you - it doesn't matter if it's a case of mistaken identty (we KNOW that those NEVER happen, right?) or you were found innocent at trial, JUST THE FACT THAT YOU WERE ARRESTED WILL CAUSE GEMME TO DENY YOU YOUR RIGHTS.

He should move to North Korea or some other totalitarian dictatorship; he'd fit right in there as he obviously believes that he's a "more equal" animal.

isnt that like, unconstitutinonal....well,even more than mass already is?

The only thing that makes for a hard day at work for Gemme is that damn constitution... I'm surprised he doesn't make his bike cops wear helmets with spikes on the top. [thinking]

be glad you don't have to deal with him ..like I do!

I did have fun dropping off my C&R copy to the station...I giggled the whole way out the door.. Nice knowing He doesn't have anything to say about it!

Worcester cops move "up" to .45

http://wbztv.com/local/local_story_332104603.html

Worcester Police Beef Up Weapons With Firepower

Jonathan Elias
Reporting

(WBZ) WORCESTER, Mass. Fighting fire with fire is an old saying that has new meaning in Worcester as police there and in a number of other cities get new and more powerful guns.

The kind of gun that has been carried by our military for nearly 100 years will soon be on the streets of Worcester.

The reason -- call it a sign of the times.

“From our point of view we don't want to be outgunned,” said firearms training officer Daniel George with the Worcester Police Department.

They train for the worst, and if it comes Worcester police want to make sure their officers are not only ready for it, but are properly equipped.

"We’ve been fortunate to not have an officer involved shooting for a long time, but we would rather err on the side of being proactive instead of reactive," George said.

Over the next year Worcester officers will be turning in their guns for new ones with more firepower.

They are going from a .40 caliber to a .45 caliber.

George said the difference is huge, especially if it comes to a gunfight.

"I’d rather have my officers on the street with equipment they need and never have to use it, rather than be in a situation where they need it and don't have it,” George said.

"We’re constantly pulling weapons off the street and a lot of them are higher caliber weapons so it's time for us to step up," said Sgt. Kerry Hazelhurst.

Hazelhurst said the changeover is in keeping with the times and the threats.

"We’re stepping up to the .45 now to give our officers a better capability to stop any kind of threat," Hazelhurst said.

The Worcester’s police chief said it gives him some comfort to know he's giving his troops the best tools to stay safe.

They now become the biggest department in the state to make the switch, but there are others that have done it, or are considering it.

Some of the Boston Police Department’s special weapons officers carry .45s, but the department as a whole has not made this switch.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)
F

Proactive my ass.

The Worcester’s police chief said it gives him some comfort to know he's giving his troops the best tools to stay safe.

It's too bad he denies his subjects of Worcester the right to stay safe. [thinking] Gemme = douchebag

George said the difference is huge, especially if it comes to a gunfight.
Hockeypucks.

I'm sure you can gather from my handle that .45 ACP is my favorite handgun caliber. But there ain't a hill of beans difference between getting center-punched by a 180gr .40 and a 230gr .45. Either will ruin your whole day.

The Worcester PD would have been better off taking that money and putting it towards marksmanship training -- a hit with a .40 is better than a miss with a .45...

Most likely a Sig or a Glock.
Bu- bu- but Glocks aren't SAFE!!! Our ex-a**h*** General Tom Reilly and our current one both told us so!!!

I can't believe that the Worcester PD would be so cavalier as to get unsafe guns for their cops! Horrors! Are they even "profeshnul" enough for a Glock .45? [laugh]

Bu- bu- but Glocks aren't SAFE!!! Our ex-a**h*** General Tom Reilly and our current one both told us so!!!

I can't believe that the Worcester PD would be so cavalier as to get unsafe guns for their cops! Horrors! Are they even "profeshnul" enough for a Glock .45? [laugh]

I read somewhere else on here it was going to be the S&W M&P .45.
Oh. That's very different. Never mind.

At least they're supporting a local company. [rolleyes]

"I’d rather have my officers on the street with equipment they need and never have to use it, rather than be in a situation where they need it and don't have it,” George said.

Isn't that what we say?[rolleyes]

This article is such BS I think the PD could feed any crap to the media and they would take it as gospel.

I keep hearing this in the news, cops complaining that they're "outgunned". I find it hard to believe, frankly, but is it true?

Back
Top Bottom