Woodpecker problem, need BB gun advice please.

Hello,

Every once in a while we get woodpeckers pecking the side of our house. I know nothing about BB guns. Can someone recommend an accurate BB gun that I could use to take care of this woodpecker problem?

Thank you.

Get a Owl decoy, oh and get and exterminator to look for bugs in your siding like termites and carpenter ants

http://birds.audubon.org/faq/why-woodpecker-damaging-my-house-and-how-do-i-stop-it

We have cedar shingles and just had the house repainted. The painter said there was no rot in the siding. It seems like the woodpeckers are either making exploratory holes or just drumming to find a mate. The holes aren't very deep, but they are annoying. Do you think the owl decoy will actually work? Do you have any experience with it?

Thanks.

We have cedar shingles and just had the house repainted. The painter said there was no rot in the siding. It seems like the woodpeckers are either making exploratory holes or just drumming to find a mate. The holes aren't very deep, but they are annoying. Do you think the owl decoy will actually work? Do you have any experience with it?

Thanks.

I had a problem with carpenter ants, no problems since taking care of it, I also have a large wind chime hanging in the area that I like the sound of

Lots of threads on BB Guns here to search. That said, I do NOT recommend the Daisy 880whatever for $50 at Dicks or WMT, even indoors at 50 feet its spray and pray at best.

Joe-Biden-Go-Buy-a-Shotgun.png

We have cedar shingles and just had the house repainted. The painter said there was no rot in the siding. It seems like the woodpeckers are either making exploratory holes or just drumming to find a mate.
It is one of the great myths of woodpeckering that woodpeckers only go after houses and other wooden structures that are hideously infested with bugs and rot and anything else nasty you can think of. In fact, I have seen them attack brand new perfectly bug-free construction. They just do it for the fun of it and to piss people off. They are very good at it.

Personally, I use a Gamo combo pellet/air shotgun for small home pests, although I have yet to take out a woodpecker with it. They are way too quick for me.

It is one of the great myths of woodpeckering that woodpeckers only go after houses and other wooden structures that are hideously infested with bugs and rot and anything else nasty you can think of. In fact, I have seen them attack brand new perfectly bug-free construction. They just do it for the fun of it and to piss people off. They are very good at it.

Personally, I use a Gamo combo pellet/air shotgun for small home pests, although I have yet to take out a woodpecker with it. They are way too quick for me.
check the link I posted above there are three reasons they do it, bugs being one of them, breeding and housing are the other two, also be aware that shooting a woodpecker would violate Migratory_Bird_Treaty_Act_of_1918

Side of my garage looks like swiss cheese because of the peckers. Owl decoys work but you need to move them around every few days or so.

a clock ticking inside can be heard by wood peckers. wood bees will draw them as well.
the little downeys are a pain . I have the big ones around ,but never had trouble with them though.

and I'm pretty good at caulking/replacing shingles now though.[smile]

Another way to get them to stop pecking your house is to hang a couple small mirrors (ones from compact make-up kits are perfect) from your gutters.. my neighbor leans a mirror against his house pointing up at a 45 degree angle not sure if that one works though..

Or just go out side ever time they are pecking and scream at the top of your lungs at them, that what i did before the mirror trick at least..

Last edited:
Lots of threads on BB Guns here to search. That said, I do NOT recommend the Daisy 880whatever for $50 at Dicks or WMT, even indoors at 50 feet its spray and pray at best.

Really? What happened to Daisy? I had one when I was a kid, granted that was several decades ago - but I remember that 880 being dead nuts accurate. Damn, they don't make things like they used to - you know they stopped putting firing pins on revolver hammers, too?

Speaking of revolvers, the Crossman model that looks like a Colt Python is awesome! I've used it on two mice and two chipmunks. I am NOT a master level marksman, but scoring hits on mice repeatedly means they work well.

I put signs outside my house in several languages saying, "don't be a peckerhead." Haven't had a woodpecker since. I see them in the trees but not on my house.

If you have woodpeckers the size of crows a bb gun might piss him off.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

It seems like the woodpeckers are either making exploratory holes or just drumming to find a mate.
Correct -- woodpeckers will drum to find a mate, and like your acoustics; they'll even go after aluminum siding. If you fill the area behind where they're drumming (e.g. spray foam), you'll ruin the sound and the woodpecker will find somewhere else for his drum solo.

Moving deterrents (foil, pinwheels, etc) are more effective than static ones (plastic decoys).

not sure if someone already posted this yet since I don't feel like reading 3 pages worth of woodpecker stuff but go with an airsoft gun. Depending on how close you are you could kill the bird and if not you would definitely cause enough pain to keep it away from your house. If you miss, it wont do any damage either. Or just do the owl decoy thing.

Flechette rounds from suppressed shotgun.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

Back
Top Bottom