Wood Stock Cleaners

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I've picked up an old beater rifle that I'm going to make a summer project and the first thing I'd like to tackle is the stock. If you look close there seems to be a very nice wood pattern underneath the grime, grease and dirt. I'm wondering what people have used to clean up their wood gun stocks that I can start using. I'm not sure if I want to strip it down to the base wood yet, but I would like to clean it up as a start.

Any recommendations on what I can start using that you've had success with?

Thanks.

Murphys oil soap and a little elbow grease works well.If your take it down to bare wood 5f5 is the best .

Last edited:
Murphys oil soap and a little elbow grease works well.

When I looked this up some people said Murphy's can damage/strip off the finish. Then again I was cleaning an old shotgun that my hands would be dirty and tacky after touching the stock so I ignored the risks and used Murphy's anyway .... it came out a lot nicer and I don't think the finish was damaged. So my only thought is weigh the risk of whether you will kick yourself if it gets a little damaged?

Simple Green and a fire hose usually gets all them hippies. . . . oh. Wood. . . .Stock.

I'd start with Mr. Murphy and walk up the ladder of aggressiveness of cleaner from there.

To remove an oil finish without using stripper I use 000 steel wool soaked in a small bucket of denatured alcohol wipiing with an old towel between scrubbing.

Edit: Ignore my suggestion, I guess they removed the detergent from Playdough when they changed it from wall paper cleaner to a dedicated children's toy

Last edited:
i'll give another vote for the murphys oil soap. least likely to cause damage so you can look at the stock and decide what you want to do.

or you could go crazy like i did with a used marlin. sanded off original finish except for the checker pattern,
then 3 coats of spar urethane
139.jpg

Last edited:
5f2b0f62-1bc7-4cac-ae64-5ca2b6583457_1.d1f34979b7989049c8453eac2bc71e5b.jpeg

I like Purple Power for my milsurps...

$4.87 @ walmart [smile]

Murphy's has wax in it. Makes it hard for anything else to adhere to it if you want to finish it later.

NEVER use Murphy's on your wood floors!

What is the existing finish--linseed oil or varnish?

If linseed oil, mix linseed oil 75/25 mineral spirits and brush it on. Let it sit long enough to start cuttingthe grime and polish it off with clean lint-free cottton cloths. Dispose of cloths safely outdoors overnight to avoid spontaneous combustion.

if you're dealing with grimy varnish, maybe use mineral spirits and 0000 steel wool, or a green 3M scrubbing pad, and buff gently.

Back
Top Bottom