Woo-Hoo! Picked up my AK-47 today!!!

Today I finally picked up my brand new AK-47 and bought 200 rounds of ammo for it and one 40 round magazine [smile] I'm going to try it out on Sunday, 19 on the NES group shoot. Does anyone know a good gun club in RI where I can practice with it reglarly?

Always nice to have atleast one in your collection... if you get a chance post some pics.

threaduselesswithoutpics.jpg

First off congrats. I've never even fired and AK. I'm afraid to. Especially after what happened when I shot my first AR this spring. (I've got two now.)

I've shot at Manville when I shot Cowboy Action. Seems like a nice place, but I don't know how close that is to you.

There's something amusing about a Russian emigrating to America so she can buy... a RUSSIAN firearm! [laugh]

Congrats, Yelena; enjoy it!

Today I finally picked up my brand new AK-47 and bought 200 rounds of ammo for it and one 40 round magazine [smile] I'm going to try it out on Sunday, 19 on the NES group shoot. Does anyone know a good gun club in RI where I can practice with it reglarly?

Awesome, your gonna have fun with that. Stock up on high-caps for it while you can.

I was wondering about buying one for myself, even though I know my AR15 is better... but I keep seeing a price of like $300 in catalogs for an AK. So at that price, why not. What can a MA resident get one for (and from where)?

Normally I'd never want one, but I keep hearing about how they are black and evil and need to be banned... suddenly I want one.

I was wondering about buying one for myself, even though I know my AR15 is better... but I keep seeing a price of like $300 in catalogs for an AK. So at that price, why not. What can a MA resident get one for (and from where)?

Normally I'd never want one, but I keep hearing about how they are black and evil and need to be banned... suddenly I want one.

I'm the same way. I always looked at AK's as being up there with the Fiat in terms of technology. But, as I was saying to Clinotus recently, The quickest way to create desire for any piece of junk is to tell me I can't have one.

At $200 I won't buy it because, hell, for $200 it must be a piece of crap.

At $300 I'll buy one in a heartbeat.

At $400 I'll throw it on the Credit Card

At $500 I'll pass it by

At $600 I'll laugh at it.

At $700, I'll consider buying it once again because, hell, for that price it must be one heck of a firearm.

At $800...well that's just ridiculous.

Anyway, the $300 days seem to be more or less gone. Say hello to your new friend, the $475 AK (WASR 10)

And to think I wasted all those years in B School trying to learn the intersection between price differentiation, and a typical demand curve...

I can just see myself, a we lad in front of the class...the professor saying, "Today Mr. Duke is going to be teaching us about diminishing returns theory using a cheap Romanian AK47, a copy of the Assault Weapon Ban, and his most recent credit card statement.

Last edited:
I went and checked the catalog again... looks like the one I remembered being under $300 had its barrel welded closed to disable it. But they have several for $380... but they aren't C&R (why not? "47" means 1947, i.e. >50 years, right?) and they only sell to dealers.

yeah...the C&R thing doesn't work unless you were lucky enough to find one actually made back then. They are still in production and the law, unfortunately only refers to manufacture not design.

If that were true we could all C&R a brand new 1911

I bought mine in Florida for about $1200... It is made in Bulgaria (Arsenal 10).
Are you all going to laugh at me now? [crying]

Not me. If you're happy with it, then I'm happy too.

Besides, I think I remember reading that the Bulgarian ones are the really spiffy new ones with the blond wood stock and parts that fit together.

Seriously, don't listen to anyone here...go buy some ammo, light it up, and have a blast.

Last edited:
There's something amusing about a Russian emigrating to America so she can buy... a RUSSIAN firearm! [laugh]

Congrats, Yelena; enjoy it!

Yep, you can take the girl out of the country but not the ........

Yelena - Enjoy! Whatever you paid for it, it is worth it to you. If anyone here laughs, then they have less class than I do.

Last edited:
I don't know AK's so I have no idea if $1200 is good or not, although it is more than I have been willing to pay for ANY gun (so far -- maybe I'll get that M1A someday). I'm sure the price depends on the gun. For all I know, the $380 one I wish I could buy is probably 50 years old and may have been obtained after it was fished out of the mud when the previous communist revolutionary was shot while carrying it in some crap hole country.

So, go have fun with it! It'll be a blast.

Congrats Yelana!!! Love my SAR1. I'll never laugh at you for spending $1200. I've spent that and more on a firearm I really wanted. Probably will again. If it's worth $1200 to you, then it's worth it.

I bought mine in Florida for about $1200... It is made in Bulgaria (Arsenal 10).
Are you all going to laugh at me now? [crying]

You bought yours? In Florida? [thinking]

According to a newspaper report a few days ago, people are just throwing them away in the streets down there now. After only one magazine! You probably should have just hung around the street corners and waited.

Kris probably has two or three of those throwaways now. [smile]

Seriously, congratulations. Shoot well.

Back
Top Bottom