Woburn?!?

Not sure if this has been discussed before and I have a meeting in a few minutes so I can't spend time dicking around on the search function.

I have a colleague/friend who wants to get licensed and just took his class. He lives in Woburn and was told by the police that part of their application process is he'll have to take a test on the 1998 MA gun laws and get at least a 70%.

Is this for real? Can anyone from Comm2A chime in?

EDIT: looks to be true from city website:

2. Applicants will be required to take a written test prepared and offered by this
department at the time they submit the completed application form. The test will be
based on the New Gun Law for 1998.
a. A passing grade of 70% is required.
b. The applicant must provide proper positive identification at
this time.
c. If the applicant fails to pass the written examination he or she will
not be eligible to retake the exam for a period of three months. It
will not be necessary to file a new application at the time of the
retesting provided all of the information on the original application
remains unchanged

WHAT THE ****?

Last edited:
Never heard of that one.

I might also be one of the few people on this forum that is OK with requiring that people understand the responsibility that goes with CCW before they are allowed to do it. And since the laws in this state allow the local CLEO to basically set his/her own standards I'd prefer that people be asked demonstrate this knowledge as opposed to supply letters of recommendation which I think are useless information.

Go ahead ... fire away.

P.S. to save myself the time of answering let me say going in that "Yes I know people who carry guns and it scares the S___ out of me that they do." (and I'm sure you know some of them)

Never heard of that one.

I might also be one of the few people on this forum that is OK with requiring that people understand the responsibility that goes with CCW before they are allowed to do it. And since the laws in this state allow the local CLEO to basically set his/her own standards I'd prefer that people be asked demonstrate this knowledge as opposed to supply letters of recommendation which I think are useless information.

Go ahead ... fire away.

P.S. to save myself the time of answering let me say going in that "Yes I know people who carry guns and it scares the S___ out of me that they do." (and I'm sure you know some of them)

Yes, That would be most Cops...

It's for real. I'd be interested to see if they still tell people that they cannot put All Lawful Purposes under the reason for wanting the firearms license, but rather must put "Target and Hunting" (unless you own a business in Woburn) or they will not receive the license. The cleo in Woburn is a scumbag is my point I guess.

Never heard of that one.

Go ahead ... fire away.

2 things:
1. Thankfully I live in a free state and don't have to prove anything to anyone.
2. Are you also afraid of other drivers, people with knives, doctors??

If this test is not offered in multiple languages it would be very discriminatory. I doubt that it is for example offered in Khmer or other asian language. If it is not and you cannot read english then you are not good enough to own a firearm in woburn.

No I am not a liberal

2 things:
1. Thankfully I live in a free state and don't have to prove anything to anyone.
2. Are you also afraid of other drivers, people with knives, doctors??

I drive 50 to 60 thousand miles a year and I'm terrified of 20% of drivers. My uncle had his lower intestine stapled to his stomach. And I've seen some people that are down right idiots with a blade in their hand. So yep to all 3. And I've seen some interesting gun safety things too see the dude who shot himself on his own YouTube channel.

Still think the test is worthless because it's only gun laws from what I can garner and I'm an active member in this forum and have been for 2 years and routinely see stuff posted that I had no idea was a law. But if you go around in a bubble thinking every person who has a gun knive drivers license or a medical license is perfectly capable of using their it. I think you missed the annual darwin awards

Never heard of that one.

Go ahead ... fire away.

And I think that before you are allowed to post on any internet forum subjects, uh citizens must prove that they fully understand the responsibility that goes with exercising their First Amendment rights. You may exhibit yours by providing us with a lengthy dissertation on why your last post was so incredibly dumb.

If this test is not offered in multiple languages it would be very discriminatory. I doubt that it is for example offered in Khmer or other asian language. If it is not and you cannot read english then you are not good enough to own a firearm in woburn.

No I am not a liberal

i'm gonna go ahead and guess there are a good amount of people on this site that would say if you can't read/speak English. then GTFO of their country lolololol

I agree with spt_1955. I have seen too many people at ranges, who seem to have forgotten basic gun safety.

Never heard of that one.

Go ahead ... fire away.

[popcorn]

Never heard of that one.

Go ahead ... fire away.

the laws actually DON'T allow the CLEO to make up rules. They only have discretion with suitability (slightly neutered with new laws) and restrictions. It's absolutely illegal to make applicants do ANYTHING other than what the statute says.

Sorry, but you're no friend of the second amendment.

i'm gonna go ahead and guess there are a good amount of people on this site that would say if you can't read/speak English. then GTFO of their country lolololol

Probably. But what about people who come here legally and are in the process of learning English? No gun for them until they learn? Maybe it's ok as long as they're not from a brown people country. Never mind that we have no official language in this country.

I agree with spt_1955. I have seen too many people at ranges, who seem to have forgotten basic gun safety.

I have seen too many people who can't practice grammar and should not be allowed to exercise their First Amendment rights. Case in point is above.

Never heard of that one.

Go ahead ... fire away.

your avatar would seem to be out of place with your comment.

And I think that before you are allowed to post on any internet forum subjects, uh citizens must prove that they fully understand the responsibility that goes with exercising their First Amendment rights. You may exhibit yours by providing us with a lengthy dissertation on why your last post was so incredibly dumb.

or that they fully understand that first amendment rights only protect you from Government censorship and don't apply to privately owned internet forums or any other private organizations for that matter [wink]

Must be a new requirement from when I did my 3 years ago, I don't recall having to take the test.

Back
Top Bottom