• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Woburn Turkeys

Future NES member?

And here I thought you were about to make few disparaging comments on members of the Woburn Sportsmens. [rofl]

Why are people afraid to grab them by the neck and toss them to the side? They're not rabid coyotes. They're fat birds.
I was kind of afraid of geese as a child, and as an adult I metaphorically kick myself for not realizing I could literally kick them in the head or swing them around like a noodley mallet.

Last edited:
IF you see a turkey in the woods they take off or hide before you can even see them
If you see it on the road it tries to fight you
It is like they know the hunting laws and see the space surrounding the roads as a safe zone

They are the smartest birds around. They can read, and always hides behind "POSTED" signs. They have watches and can tell time; when hunting ends at 12PM they are out and about in all fields everywhere.

I was kind of afraid of geese as a child, and as an adult I metaphorically kick myself for not realizing I could literally kick them in the head or swing them around like a noodley mallet.

Ever see someone try and kick a goose in the head???? It doesn't go so well. They are pretty agile in avoiding a hit. Most animals are faster than hoomans.

Back when I was driving my brand new SUV home from the dealership a pack of wild turkeys appeared at the side of the road.

I was moving along pretty good and instead of stopping or doubling back they decided to take flight across the road.

They all cleared the top of my vehicle except for one guy who could not get enough altitude. He smashed an broke my drivers side mirror.

I guess I should have tried to file a comp claim but I just said screw it and ordered a new mirror. 700 bucks later I realized I should of filed the claim.

Ever see someone try and kick a goose in the head???? It doesn't go so well. They are pretty agile in avoiding a hit. Most animals are faster than hoomans.
1663699786373.png

Fake swing, Fake swing, Fake swing, Fake swing, Fake swing, Fake swing, Real swing & follow-through.

Last edited:

There is nothing worse than a mean Canadian Goose on a golf course. You can't hit them with a club or nothing. Pretty much sucks.

Back when I was driving my brand new SUV home from the dealership a pack of wild turkeys appeared at the side of the road.

I was moving along pretty good and instead of stopping or doubling back they decided to take flight across the road.

They all cleared the top of my vehicle except for one guy who could not get enough altitude. He smashed an broke my drivers side mirror.

I guess I should have tried to file a comp claim but I just said screw it and ordered a new mirror. 700 bucks later I realized I should of filed the claim.
I just replaced a low-beam H7 bulb in my nephew's minivan that he had hit a low flying turkey last Fall with. Damned if I didn't kind a turkey feather in the housing...

I passed a couple of hens and maybe over 20 poults(?). My guess is they are a few weeks old. Aggressive behavior is no surprise. I would never mess with one.

i'd bet the ranch someone is...or was feeding them. i've seen turkey behavior like that before where i worked. the maintenance guys were feeding them and they chased the carts the guys used to go from building to building. i was riding around the property one evening and a bird that appeared to be the patriarch of the flock jumped in the damn cart with me. scary, you could hear their claws on the pavement as they ran beside the carts. in case you're wondering, the guys feed them posts "honey bunches of oats." they loved it.

Why are people afraid to grab them by the neck and toss them to the side? They're not rabid coyotes. They're fat birds.

I certainly won't try that, especially with the toms. They will kick the crap out of you with those spurs and possibly cut you up. I think they are a little tougher than you might think if it came to hand to neck combat.

There's a video kicking around of an older woman doing just this. Funny as hell.

/ETA

Here's the video. It was a goose, not a turkey.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0bDZmNsW8

Last edited:
1663705108898.png
Deep-Fried Wild Turkey. Christopher Testani

Ingredients

1 whole wild turkey (12 to 14 lb.), gutted
1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
1 cup kosher salt
3 gallons vegetable oil, or as needed

Directions

1. In a large stockpot, boil a gallon of water. Add the brown sugar and salt, then stir to dissolve them. Add 1 gallon of cold water and let the brine cool to room temperature. Immerse the turkey in the brine and refrigerate it for 24 hours or overnight. Remove the bird from the brine, rinse it off, and pat it dry.
  2. Fill a turkey fryer halfway with oil and heat the oil until it reaches 350 degrees. Gently lower the turkey into the oil and fry it for about 45 minutes, or until it reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees (the temperature will rise to the USDA-recommended 165 degrees while the turkey rests). As the turkey cooks, do not let the oil get above 350 degrees. Remove the turkey from the fryer, tent it with foil, and let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes.

Ever see what they do to a nice, shiny, reflective vehicle...? [rofl]
Black paint is the worst...
View attachment 664179
Yeah no shit. Polished up my black car last week before I headed up to NH. Get a call some turkey is beating the crap out of my car🤬! 15 years here, a thousand turkeys through the yard never a problem and then this fu€ker gos postal on my firebird when I’m 2 hours away and can’t do shit about it 😡.

Yeah no shit. Polished up my black car last week before I headed up to NH. Get a call some turkey is beating the crap out of my car🤬! 15 years here, a thousand turkeys through the yard never a problem and then this fu€ker gos postal on my firebird when I’m 2 hours away and can’t do shit about it 😡.
I think they're in The Rut... 🤔

Back
Top Bottom