Wish this were mine

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Shelves20DFD.jpg

More ammo there than I’ll probably shoot in a few lifetimes. Take a gander at that mother of a beam running across the ceiling, that has to be one large structure to have that for part of the support.

More ammo there than I’ll probably shoot in a few lifetimes. Take a gander at that mother of a beam running across the ceiling, that has to be one large structure to have that for part of the support.

Maybe he's holding up 18" of concrete blocks on the floor above so that the basement is also a fallout shelter.

I would have thought you need a bit more support on that shelf. But really cool. I need to build myself something like that.

Does anybody else think this house is owned by dwarfs.

That or those are some DAMN big ammo cans

my new house has a central beam about that size in it, so it odesnt necessarily have to be THAT big....

a long time ago

when i was in the navy i got stationed at an ammo dump for 18 months,

you cannot imagine how big the small arms mag was. It was covered with
a berm. We could drive a fork lift into it to rotate outdated ammo.

the best part was that we got to shoot as much of the outdated
ammo as we wanted. at some point it got destroyed, just too much,
we could not keep up with the rotation.

I sure would like to have whats in the photo//

JimB

You can figure out the size of the whole thing by looking at the 3 battle packs on the bottom shelf (look like South African 7.62x51 to me). Judging by the ammo cans in comparison - that beam is only a 12" or 14" deep beam - pretty much a standard size for cross beam. Whomever this is must have built this in the crawl space of his house - looks like floor to ceiling is only 4 or 5 feet.

when i was in the navy i got stationed at an ammo dump for 18 months,

you cannot imagine how big the small arms mag was.

<drool> Wanna bet? </drool>

the best part was that we got to shoot as much of the outdated
ammo as we wanted. at some point it got destroyed, just too much,
we could not keep up with the rotation.

Sure was a burden serving on that detail, eh? ;)
Lucky bastard.

One more reason to move slightly north;

New Hampshire has no limit to the amount of ammo you can keep at home.

Of course now that I've said this somebody's gonna check...

I'll never get to that level but I bought a can of .223 from qmmo.net over the weekend. Nice guy, product looks very good and the price was great.

A friend of mine was in the National Guard here in MA. He said that during the '70s when they were issued ammo for range training, his unit was always issued way more than they were able to shoot. And that there was no procedure for them to be able to turn back in the unused ammo. They didn't have enough time to shoot it, and it would have been illegal to keep it themselves, so they ended up burying cases and cases of ammo.

It would be fun to find one of those cases, dig it up and see how the ammo can stood up 30 years under ground.

It was down at MMR. They've done a lot of environmental cleanup work down there, so I think they've probably dug them all up.

He told me about the times when they were told to dispose of a bunch of ammo, explosives and such. A few sergeants, a truck, a bunch of ammo and explosives, and time to play...

He also told me that the back of an M113 made a great cooler and they had determined just how many cases of beer would fit in the bottom -- it was water tight so it held the ice real well. IIRC, the kind of beer math they used was along the lines of 2 beers times 37 men equals 47 cases. Couldn't do that in today's army, I suspect.

Back
Top Bottom