• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Wish me luck, trying to educate today...

Brin747

NES Member
We have a another family that we are good friends with. Our kids have grown up together and we have done family vacations together so we know them pretty well. They are probably more anti gun than pro, but have always been respectful of our differing opinions and has been open to hearing the other side.

To make a long story short, she has actually asked me to take her two daughters shooting to teach them about gun safety and handling. She agrees with me that kids who have learned to handle guns in a safe way are much less at risk around them, and she's enthusiastic about this.

Wish me luck, maybe I can win her to our side. My plan is to get together later today at their house to go over safe handling and rules, then head out for some shooting. I'm open to any tips or pointers you guys have...

Start the girls off with .22 rifles. Then possibly move to .22 pistols once they put a few rounds through the rifles.

Good luck. If she's asking you to take her daughters shooting, you've won about 80% of the battle. Things like this are why I decided to take the NRA Basic Pistol Instructor course a few weeks ago. I get frequent requests from people who are interested in learning about guns and I decided that I wanted to teach them the right way. I'll probably never make a penny teaching courses, but to me it's worth it.

Use large sheets of blank paper, with a aiming point in the center. You don't want it to become a competition.

Make it fun; explain the Three Rules, but don't scare them. If you are the only real-world experience with guns that they've had, remember that the guns they're familiar with have never-empty mags of universal death, and a reset button.

Keep it light, and fun. If they have a good time, have them bring Mom and Dad next time.

Please provide an after-action report, too.

Good luck, and good shooting.

Or 9 inch paper plates. You can put a dot in the center if you want, but it's not needed. Just get them to put holes anywhere on the paper. Remember sight alignment, grip, and breathing. If they can group closely, that's a great start no matter where on the paper they hit.

The problem with most of us is that we concentrate on hitting the X ring too much. While that's good for people with some experience, with young people with no experience it's all about making it fun.

Oh, and if you are starting with pistols or revolvers and can do it, have them shoot from 15-20 feet at first. Easy success provides instant gratification and generates interest. There will be plenty of time for them to develop skill if they are interested. If they aren't interested, they won't continue to shoot.

Use large sheets of blank paper, with a aiming point in the center. You don't want it to become a competition.

Make it fun; explain the Three Rules, but don't scare them. If you are the only real-world experience with guns that they've had, remember that the guns they're familiar with have never-empty mags of universal death, and a reset button.

Keep it light, and fun. If they have a good time, have them bring Mom and Dad next time.

great advice, let us know how it turns out

Even using pellet guns with balloons can be fun for first time shooters. They won't have the report of the gun to make them flinch and there is no doubt when they hit the balloon. I think those two things alone will make for an enjoyable first time at shooting firearms. Give the option of trying a 22 with smaller balloons at a longer distance if they feel comfortable with it. Little steps go a long ways.

Greg

A great time was had by all. They shot some 22 rifles, then some rounds through my Saiga, and mom and dad even took a shot out of my Mosin. Then we went on to hand guns with my Ruger Mark 1, then through various 9mm's. Finally, we topped it off with a few rounds of 12 gauge.

We went over a lot of safety and even got a chance to discuss some of the misconceptions out there about gun laws. The mom especially asked me a lot of questions about the current gun control debate and was surprised at the facts. I'd say they are on the right track. The older daughter has asked for an XD9 for her birthday! Of course, she's only 15 so that will have to wait, but she definitely wants me to take her shooting again.

We have a another family that we are good friends with. Our kids have grown up together and we have done family vacations together so we know them pretty well. They are probably more anti gun than pro, but have always been respectful of our differing opinions and has been open to hearing the other side.

To make a long story short, she has actually asked me to take her two daughters shooting to teach them about gun safety and handling. She agrees with me that kids who have learned to handle guns in a safe way are much less at risk around them, and she's enthusiastic about this.

Wish me luck, maybe I can win her to our side. My plan is to get together later today at their house to go over safe handling and rules, then head out for some shooting. I'm open to any tips or pointers you guys have...

With all the recent publicity up in NH about the MAIG bus full of victims and the mission of Giffords and Kelly,you being asked to introduce two youngsters at this particular time, to safe and responsible gun handling speaks well of you and of the girls' parents. I'm glad to hear the outing was fun and that their interest will continue. Congratulations!
Best regards.

Back
Top Bottom