Win 231/HP 38 being phased out/ discontinued

Insults from the moderator...what's the world coming to ;-)

What is *special* about Win231 is that I know it and like it...and that has value to me.

A few more dollars per/lb is not going to cause me to miss any meals.

Again, others may feel differently...and that's perfectly fine.

Less choice is always bad...continue to sell it for more $$$ and let the market decide.

Agreed. N320 costs me $25-$30 a pound. I can get ~1,750 rounds out of 1 pound. Using 4 gr costs me just 1.7 cents per round. What other component of reloading will cost you less than that?? You probably spend more money on electricity for lighting in your reloading room or to run your tumbler [laugh].

Same would apply with 231/HP-38. I think if the powder cost per round begins to cost more than the primers ($40-$60 per pound for example), then that might be an issue. Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
Agreed. N320 costs me $25-$30 a pound. I can get ~1,750 rounds out of 1 pound. Using 4 gr costs me just 1.7 cents per round. What other component of reloading will cost you less than that?? You probably spend more money on electricity for lighting in your reloading room or to run your tumbler [laugh].

Same would apply with 231/HP-38. I think if the powder cost per round begins to cost more than the primers, then that might be an issue. Just my $0.02.

I use 3.8 grains of HP38 under a 147 grain bullet. At Shooter's price of $160 for 8# that is 1842 rounds per pound at 1.09 cents per round.

Going up to N320 would be a 57% price increase for powder. Admittedly bullets are by far the most expensive component so that $0.61 per thousand is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

I use 3.8 grains of HP38 under a 147 grain bullet. At Shooter's price of $160 for 8# that is 1842 rounds per pound at 1.09 cents per round.

Going up to N320 would be a 57% price increase for powder. Admittedly bullets are by far the most expensive component so that $0.61 per thousand is negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Exactly.

So, who do we believe?

Both sources are from the Internet and yet they can't both be true...

The facebook post says nothing about it being discontinued or not. Its only touting its virtues.

We're all alive and well at the moment, some day we won't be. So to me the facebook post means nothing regarding the powder's fate.

Well Hodgdon says nothing about Winchester 231..... my speculation is Hodgdon will drop "Winchester" all together vs paying licensing fees for the name.

Well Hodgdon says nothing about Winchester 231..... my speculation is Hodgdon will drop "Winchester" all together vs paying licensing fees for the name.

That's probably what's going to happen. They "kill off" W231 and continue to make HP-38

That's probably what's going to happen. They "kill off" W231 and continue to make HP-38

Curious to see what DOW does with the Winchester name now that they own Olin. Will they continue to manufacture "Winchester" ammo?
Will browning and FN continue to make certain firearms along with US repeating arms?
Who knows, just stock up though anything can happen. Both Dow and General Dynamics are a huge part in the game and buddy buddy with .gov

I just checked the Hodgdon website and saw that there are only 3 Winchester pistol powders listed: 231 (a.k.a. HP-38), Autocomp (a.k.a. HS-6) and 296 (a.k.a. H110).

Why do they bother?

I just checked the Hodgdon website and saw that there are only 3 Winchester pistol powders listed: 231 (a.k.a. HP-38), Autocomp (a.k.a. HS-6) and 296 (a.k.a. H110).

Why do they bother?

I've wondered for a long time why they bothered making the same powder with 2 different brand names and designations. Makes no sense to me. Its not like chevy/pontiac/buick that put out models with the same chassis/drivetrain/etc. Those all have distinctions that make them quite different from one another.

I've wondered for a long time why they bothered making the same powder with 2 different brand names and designations. Makes no sense to me. Its not like chevy/pontiac/buick that put out models with the same chassis/drivetrain/etc. Those all have distinctions that make them quite different from one another.

I suspect is has to do with acquisitions over the years, and the desire to keep the good will and brand loyality of the acquired brands.

I mourned the loss of WW540 for a couple of years and then found out HS6 was the same thing (good for 38 super); now my favorite powder is Titegroup (goor for 40 short & wimpy).

That was the only thing I could come up with too. It could even have been a contractual agreement for acquiring the brand name. They may have had to continue it for a certain number of years as part of the agreement.

I suspect is has to do with acquisitions over the years, and the desire to keep the good will and brand loyality of the acquired brands.

I mourned the loss of WW540 for a couple of years and then found out HS6 was the same thing (good for 38 super); now my favorite powder is Titegroup (goor for 40 short & wimpy).

I have had great luck with Titegroup in .40; it was cheaper than 231 and you use less. This powder did not work well in my 9mm SIG P 226 Stainless using minor loads. The case mouths were getting dinged so bad on extraction /ejection that they couldn't be reloaded. The only cause I can come up with is that the faster Titegroup was causing the gun to unlock prematurely causing extraction problems.

This problem gave me fits and my attempted solutions (changes in bullet weight and powder charges, brass, recoil springs and barrels) all ended in failure. I gave up and went back to 231; problem solved. I am going to miss this powder.

I have had great luck with Titegroup in .40; it was cheaper than 231 and you use less. This powder did not work well in my 9mm SIG P 226 Stainless using minor loads. The case mouths were getting dinged so bad on extraction /ejection that they couldn't be reloaded. The only cause I can come up with is that the faster Titegroup was causing the gun to unlock prematurely causing extraction problems.

This problem gave me fits and my attempted solutions (changes in bullet weight and powder charges, brass, recoil springs and barrels) all ended in failure. I gave up and went back to 231; problem solved. I am going to miss this powder.

Ummmmm... So switch to HP-38. Problem solved.

Head shots, so probably 4-6" groups using an Ibeji 147 grain coated bullet.

4-6" groups from 8" barrel with 9mm...... what bullet are you using. That's some nice shooting.
You could clean the targets at the 200 yard fun match with shooting like that.

4-6" groups from 8" barrel with 9mm...... what bullet are you using. That's some nice shooting.
You could clean the targets at the 200 yard fun match with shooting like that.

Agreed. That's some good shootin

It isn't nearly as difficult as you guys make it sound/I'm not an amazing shot. Decent yes but I hate shooting for groups and cloverleafs and such.

Currently we use Ibeji Head 147 gr but I ordered some 124 gr to get a flatter trajectory. See if we can't flip the T Box with the 9mm. The current trajectory is too steep bc the steel flipper is at an angle and the bullet arc is too steep to move it even if we squeeze it through the T Box.

Back
Top Bottom