Wife's first trip to the range.

She did quite well considering she never fired a handgun before and her intiation was at the hands of a Glock 30 loaded with 230Gr FMJ's. Nothing like baptism by fire.

We were the only ones at the indoor range at that time which I think made it easier on both of us. First shot off the bat she hit a bulls eye at about 4 yards. She quickly got over her nervousness and really started enjoying it. She has a tendency of pulling the gun down just before the shot is fired in anticipation of the recoil. We'll work on that.

The good news is that she's ready to go back but she want's to try something different that fits her hand. The Glock 30 was tearing up the middle finger of her shooting hand. She said to me: "I think I need something more suited for me". Damn I love that girl. This gives me an excuse to go buy her a Ruger 22/45, Walther P22 or maybe even a nice 9mm like a Sig P239 or whatever it is she likes.

Her range etiquette was excellent. She kept the muzzle up and down range at all times and her fingers off the trigger. At one point she got some hot brass that went down her shirt and into her bra. She had the common sense of putting the gun down first, muzzle down range before attempting to remove that brass. That a girl.

I could feel your pride and your pleasure - so nicely written. Very touching. I am very happy it was such a wonderful day for you both!![grin]

At one point she got some hot brass that went down her shirt and into her bra. She had the common sense of putting the gun down first, muzzle down range before attempting to remove that brass. That a girl.

You couldn't fish it out for her. [wink]

On a serious note congrats on getting the girl to the range, now get her a LTC and a carry gun.[smile]

Her range etiquette was excellent. She kept the muzzle up and down range at all times and her fingers off the trigger. At one point she got some hot brass that went down her shirt and into her bra. She had the common sense of putting the gun down first, muzzle down range before attempting to remove that brass. That a girl.

Great story! Regarding the above, I'm reminded of the first time I shot at the indoor range at Worcester Pistol and Rifle a long time ago. I was a new shooter, and the guy there said to me "When you come in to shoot, make sure your shirt is buttoned up 'cause if you get hot brass down your shirt you'll be likely to hurt someone."

I thought, "yeah, yeah, yeah ... like THAT could happen!"

So help me God my very first shot fired at WPR resulted in a hot casing going right down my shirt. And as I thought, "Ow ow ow! That's hot!", I also was thinking of what the man had said to me, and I'll tell you I have never ignored the advice of an old man again.

Of course in my case there was nothing to impede the progress of that hot brass dropping straight down to my belly button, which it did. [shocked]

Cudos on the great range experience, have her take a safety course if she has'nt already, and then the two of you should take a concealed carry course together.... Trust me when I tell you, have a professional teach you both the right way on shooting from concealed carry... you will appreciate....

Cudos on the great range experience, have her take a safety course if she has'nt already, and then the two of you should take a concealed carry course together.... Trust me when I tell you, have a professional teach you both the right way on shooting from concealed carry... you will appreciate....

I've convinced her to get her LTC - if for anything else than she'll be lawfully allowed to go into the gun safe and protect herself if she needs to. I doubt she will ever CCW but at least she'll be able to buy mace, ammo or whatever.

I'm working on her... slowly. I don't want to come across as being pushy and turn her off.

Smart man.... slowly ease her into it... if you suggest do the training together she might be more apt to do it.....

I've convinced her to get her LTC - if for anything else than she'll be lawfully allowed to go into the gun safe and protect herself if she needs to. I doubt she will ever CCW but at least she'll be able to buy mace, ammo or whatever.

I'm working on her... slowly. I don't want to come across as being pushy and turn her off.

atta boy!! get her an LTC so she can run out and get ammo for you!! /jk

Glad the range visit went well, nice to hear that!

Have her take a pistol safety training course - most of the courses have a wide range of pistols available for her to try out, and this variety in one setting allows her to find what type is best for her.
My wife went to a safety pistol class, and we found that the best pistol for her was the Beretta with the tip-up barrel for loading, as she didn't have the hand strength for racking the slide on a semiauto or to use a revolver...( Now if only I can get her back to the range to practice !!!)

have her take a safety class, then go to a range that rents firearms and have her try different types and calibers...

Where do you shoot, If you are at Somerset Sportsmans Club I could meet you some weekend and she could try out some 22s I have a Ruger MK 3 and a S&W 617. Also have an SP101 and a Mod 19 in 38spl she could try out or a 380 Beretta...

Awesome man. Good to hear!

But I'm surprised.... no one's posted the obligatory "This Thread Is Worthless Without Photos!" [smile]

Back
Top Bottom