Wife's fingerprints rejected....

Same thing happened with my wife last week. They called on Monday to tell us her prints had been rejected. No big deal, just come back and do a reprint. The wife told me that the officer had had some problems during the printing process, so, I assumed the rejection was related to that.

And the number of crimes solved by matching up crime scene fingerprints with an LTC holder's print card is...??????

Holy f***ing waste of time and money, Batman.

That should be the sign that greets motorists as they cross into the state.

"Welcome to Massachusetts: A big, f***ing waste of time and money."

And the number of crimes solved by matching up crime scene fingerprints with an LTC holder's print card is...??????

Holy f***ing waste of time and money, Batman.

That should be the sign that greets motorists as they cross into the state.

"Welcome to Massachusetts: A big, f***ing waste of time and money."

In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts it is strictly forbidden by policy to use the fingerprints submitted for a LTC or FID to "run" against the criminal ten print data base or latent prints in the AFIS system. The purpose of submitting fingerprints in the licensure process is to ascertain that the person who submits the prints does not have a criminal record. Remember that many people are criminally printed under aliases. During the time that I processed fringerprints for LTCs and FIDs I uncovered people who had been convicted of crimes which did not show up on their criminal background check. Why..? Because they used the name, DOB and social of a close relative. Also too, the criminal records system was very incomplete. There were records of some convictions which were not reflected on their rap sheets, but the records were on their fingerprint cards. This is especially true of older convictions, offenses that were commited and adjudicated prior to the late or middle 80's.

I clearly recall one applicant who had been convicted of second degree murder. Naturally he was using an alias, but there was no doubt that he was the person who was convicted. The ten print cards matched perfectly and were nice, clear, clean prints on both the criminal card and the applicant card. In this case there was absolutely no doubt that this was a match and as a further protection given the severity of the offense, three different technicians verified the prints as a match.

All LTC and FID applicant prints are firewalled in such a matter that both new arrest prints and latents that are run through AFIS are not run against the applicant data base. Applicant fingerprints are not run through the latent data base either, only the ten prints that are submitted when one is arrested and then convicted (people are printed several times during the process of arrest, conviction and incarceration: when arrested at the police station, when awaiting trial in the county jail, and upon conviction when classifed and sent to prison by the DOC)

When one does a criminal background check (rap sheet) on CJIS Web, the persons DL picture will come up on CJIS Web, it is true, but many departments only use the older LEAPS terminal and all that comes up is a print-out with absolutely no identification data such as a photo. As the records go, there is a warning that the data is not supported by fingerprints. The fingerprints then provide a means of supporting the printed out data.

So, in effect the fingerprints submitted are used to verify the identity of the individual and not added to the criminal data base. Your privacy rights are protected. You are correct that no crimes have ever been solved by using applicant fingerprints, but that is not the purpose.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom