• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why you DO need an AR-15 under the Second Amendment: Gun Guys Special Guest Massad Ayoob

I didn't watch it but for the first minute or so. I was really hoping that since Mas was drinking the coffee that Ken (or whoever that is) would start eating the apple. LOL

I’d think the 2A would be more supportive of an M16 than it’s neutered brother.

For sure.

But the prohibitionists saw their chance and won.

It all started with Alcohol. The gov knew it didnt have the authority, so it had to make a constitutional amendment. They got wise, fast though. The next substance bans didnt need any amendments because they knew there would be no realistic push back.

The feds tested the water with military arms in the 30's. With the 1st NFA we had Miller. And Miller said NFA is legit, since the military doesnt even use SBS's and it's not even a ban, it's just a $200 fee and some paperwork. Blood was in the water. Fast forward to 1986. Reagan signed it, so technically it was a bipartisan bill to completely obliterate the true use of the 2nd for good, which was to provide military weapons to the people for the militia.

conservative SCOTUS wants nothing to do with it. republican super majority governments in recent times want nothing to do with it either.

The $200 tax was a work-around to the fact that congress knew a ban was unconstitutional. And, there was a time when the US did not have secret trials.

The $200 tax was a work-around to the fact that congress knew a ban was unconstitutional. And, there was a time when the US did not have secret trials.

It was a large deterent as designed.

The US Inflation Calculator measures the buying power of the dollar over time. Just enter any two dates from 1913 to 2019, an amount, and then click 'Calculate'. (2020 comparisons will be available following the next government data release on Feb. 13, 2020.)

Inflation Calculator
If in 1934
I purchased an item for $ $200.00
then in 2020
that same item would cost: $3,815.78
Cumulative rate of inflation: 1,807.9 %

*Learn how this calculator works. This US Inflation Calculator uses the latest US government CPI data published on January 14, 2020 to adjust for inflation and calculate the cumulative inflation rate through December 2019. The Consumer Price Index (CPI) and inflation for January 2020 is scheduled for release by the U.S. Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics on February 13, 2020. (See a chart of recent inflation rates.)

Imagine if they followed the law and ONLY the $200 tax was a requirement. Like a duck stamp to your license. Pay your $200 and pick up your somhow-extra-killy item. No wait. No nothing. I don't like the $200 but it seems that there shouldn't be anything beyond that. I can't think of any other tax that you have to jump through so many hoops for before being GTG.

You Sir, are highly mistaken. Ayoob is the BEST source for legal information in the country. If I was ever in court for a defensive shooting and could call only one expert witness, Ayoob would be the one.

One can be smart AND be an ash-whole. It's not one or the other.

Drug prohibition started as a simple tax stamp, too.

The sad part is the majority of this forum supports the drug laws in one way or another despite them being completely unconstitutional.

Perhaps many of our peers would be the 1st in line at the local Heroin shop the day it opens?

And what would you base the above statement on?

methinks you attempted to paint with too broad a brush......maybe try a poll next time before slandering what you believe to be a majority.......you may in fact be correct.......or not.

It's been discussed here several times in the past. Very few people support full legalization of recreational drugs.

You Sir, are highly mistaken. Ayoob is the BEST source for legal information in the country. If I was ever in court for a defensive shooting and could call only one expert witness, Ayoob would be the one.

You Sir, are highly mistaken. I never said he wasn't a good source for legal information. I simply stated that he is an a**h***, which is 100% fact. That comes from first hand experience.

Not trying to be Editor here, but two subtle errors that continually screw up our society are:
1) anecdotes portrayed as evidence
2) opinions portrayed as facts

You Sir, are highly mistaken. I never said he wasn't a good source for legal information. I simply stated that he is an a**h***, which is 100% fact. That comes from first hand experience.
A**h**** status is a matter of opinion; the only 100% truth is that you personally believe it.

I'm not even going to start with Dench's broad brush. It speaks for itself often enough.

Oh I think even with people who love Mas think he's an a-hole. LOL. He's not shy about being so. He comes off as an arrogant dink in his classes. It's just his style.

Not trying to be Editor here, but two subtle errors that continually screw up our society are:
1) anecdotes portrayed as evidence
2) opinions portrayed as facts

A**h**** status is a matter of opinion; the only 100% truth is that you personally believe it.

I'm not even going to start with Dench's broad brush. It speaks for itself often enough.

Well, it is a matter of opinion, and your opinion doesn't matter. It's quite that simple. The man is a flaming a**h*** in every sense of the word. So much so, my mother wouldn't allow him into the house any longer. So, I do not give two shits what you want to believe. And that is a fact.

Ayoob is a real a**h***. He was a friend of my father. Couldn't stand being around the guy.

a**h*** or not, the guy knows what he's talking about and is gracious enough to share his knowledge with the general public at no charge.

Well, it is a matter of opinion, and your opinion doesn't matter. It's quite that simple. The man is a flaming a**h*** in every sense of the word. So much so, my mother wouldn't allow him into the house any longer. So, I do not give two shits what you want to believe. And that is a fact.
Ah, what do I know. It’s not like half the nation wants to impeach our president with that standard of evidence.

I've never met the man, but I can see how he could rub people the wrong way.

That said, I know he was approached about a self defense case in NH, and told the attorney that there was someone better, and for this particular case they should use the other guy.

Back
Top Bottom