Why is Scott Brown rated "A" on gun rights?

http://www.ontheissues.org/Domestic/Scott_Brown_Gun_Control.htm

Rep. Brown indicated he supports the following principles concerning gun issues:
-Allow citizens to carry concealed guns.
-Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks on guns.
-Require background checks on gun sales between private citizens at gun shows.
-Require a license for gun possession.

Typical MA RINO... and yes, definitely better than Coakley. I guess it's a start [hmmm]

He had King RINO on stage with him...What do people expect? I'm thankful for Scott Brown's victory over Let Em Eat Cake Coakley, but underneath the major Scott Brown ass-kissing festival, remains the FACT that he supports government sponsored healthcare, (said so this very morning on Fox) and he supports gun control measures...Let's not kid ourselves....Much like HR 2259, he's better than what we have now, but what lies underneath the surface is more of the same-o-same-o...Take a sniff of the coffee and wake the hell up folks....

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - in the right direction. The Dems learned what happens when people become dissatisfied with their agenda. Let's hope the lesson is not lost on all legislators. Brown is in, it is up to us to guide him from here.

Diddn't Scott Brown say that he'd be the 41st vote against health care? He lied to us? Someone paid him off?

Suddenly I feel sick.

Diddn't Scott Brown say that he'd be the 41st vote against health care? He lied to us? Someone paid him off?

Suddenly I feel sick.

He is against the "Health Care Reform" as it is written. He essentially wants to use the Ma. Health Care system as a template for the country. Either way, if he is the 41st vote, Health Care will likely be put on hold for a while.

He said he'd be the 41st vote against the helthcare Bill -- ie -- as it is now.

Yup..Scott Brown believes in government run healthcare. He supported the debacle in Massachusetts....He supports gun control measures...Surprised? I'm not - I knew this going in, but like many in Massachusetts, we get used to voting for "better than what we have now"...Wonder how he'll vote if another AWB slides into the Senate? Like said - I'm glad that he won. I literally sent my checking account into the red donating to his campaign. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. However, any illusions that Scott Brown is somehow this savior of Republican ideals, is simply euphoria from from the ass-kissing festival....

As others have posted... he's much better than whom we could have ended up with.

The gun control issue (and Browns rating), may have helped him to get where he is right now.

Back in 2004, Brown ran for the Senate seat against Angus McQuilken.

McQuiken just happened to have been a top aide to Cheryl Jacques (the queen of gun control in the MA legislature).

McQuilken also had a hand in authoring the 98 gun control laws we have now.

During the campaign, McQuilken bragged about his accomplishments and attacked Brown for being to lax on firearms related issues.

Brown won by a couple of thousand votes in that election; which makes me wonder how many of those 2,000 votes cast for Brown were from angry gun owners?

Putting it into perspective, if Brown hadn't won back then, it's doubtful he would have even had a chance of wining the current US Senate seat (if he even ran at all).

I would have picked most anybody instead of Martha Coakley, Scott was the other and better choice! This election hopefully wakes up many politicians on both sides of the fence. Right now the house and senate have much bigger issues.

Having seen the healthcare costs double and tripple in recent years something has to be done. NO medical care if you are not here legally would cut lots of costs (don't see it happening). Having recently taken my 81 year old father to the emergency room and his week long stay at one hospital and transferred to another I saw what amounted to huge wastes of money and tests because nobody could be bothered to discuss things with his primary and surgeon (I actually had to make calls, yell, threaten to call lawyers an the medicalboard). I DO NOT WANT the healthcare bill that they are trying to ram down our throats and maybe the Scott Brown win will stop it. Something does have to be done!

In DC Heller was the right case at the right time. In Mass with this election Scott Brown was the right candidate at the right time. Someone with a better 2nd ammendment understanding "might" not have won and "they" might not have gotten any message at all?

I am hoping the upcoming supreme court decision and incorporation will have a bigger impact on Mass gun rights than the Scott Brown election win!

Last edited:
You can tell a lot about a man by the company he keeps: Rudy Giuliani (supports assault weapons ban and nationwide licensing along with gun control), was here stumping for him and Mitt Romney is his bud, (hello? forced healthcare and assault weapons ban anyone?). brown's first visit was to John McCain's office...Hint, hint?

If the Mass Independent machine was smart, it's quickly find and groom a candidate that's closer to the Center than Brown (Kennedy?) as his opponent for the next election if Scott goes the Business as usual route.

If the Mass Independent machine was smart, it's quickly find and groom a candidate that's closer to the Center than Brown (Kennedy?) as his opponent for the next election if Scott goes the Business as usual route.

Yup...I'd like to see someone like you describe make a run for Kerry's seat...I just got done watching Brown hanging out in Kerry's office...made me throw up in my mouth a little....

Suddenly I feel sick.

He is against the plan as it is written now due to the fact that it will cost too much and the rich pay for the poor.

He said he'd be the 41st vote against the helthcare Bill -- ie -- as it is now.

exactly

He is against the "Health Care Reform" as it is written. He essentially wants to use the Ma. Health Care system as a template for the country. Either way, if he is the 41st vote, Health Care will likely be put on hold for a while.

He is more or less looking for each state to come up with a plan for what they feel works for them and all compare to see if something is possible for everyone. Technically Ma has universal health care since hospitals allow anyone to go and you are fined if you choose not to pay for healthcare.

Mark, Baby steps, the person you describe, a true conservative will be very difficult to get elected at this time.

You guys have to remember, we are coming out from under how many years of Democratic rule? It's going to take a while for the citizens of MA to continue adjusting their political philosophy.

Scott is a great first step towards that process, remember this is a GIANT leap for Massachusetts voters, to go from Kennedy to Brown. I think it's vitally important for us to insure his success, so that we can point to him and say "see what he is doing, imagine, more of him except even better!"

Mark, Baby steps, the person you describe, a true conservative will be very difficult to get elected at this time.

You guys have to remember, we are coming out from under how many years of Democratic rule? It's going to take a while for the citizens of MA to continue adjusting their political philosophy.

Scott is a great first step toward that process, remember this is a GIANT leap for Massachusetts voters, to go from Kennedy to Brown. I think it's vitally important for us to insure his success, so that we can point to him and say "see what he is doing, imagine, more of him except even better!"

Very well stated. I do agree with a number of issues presented. Also, what pdm said...if we held out for the perfect candidate, we run the risk of losing all our rights.
Hopefully, this election will lead the way to more conservative candidates.

Yup..Scott Brown believes in government run healthcare. He supported the debacle in Massachusetts....He supports gun control measures...Surprised? I'm not - I knew this going in, but like many in Massachusetts, we get used to voting for "better than what we have now"...Wonder how he'll vote if another AWB slides into the Senate? Like said - I'm glad that he won. I literally sent my checking account into the red donating to his campaign. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come. However, any illusions that Scott Brown is somehow this savior of Republican ideals, is simply euphoria from from the ass-kissing festival....

He IS the savior of Republican ideals... it's just that those ideals suck these days. As for his rating on gun rights, he deserves a C to D in my book if he supports those restrictions.

Look at how our rights have been whittled away by the other side. It was a gradual, creeping process over decades, but it's been extremely successful. The same gradual process is needed to regain everything we've lost.

EDIT: To clarify what I mean by that, I'm saying that I don't think MA is ready for a true A candidate. An A candidate would most likely be unelectable. You can try in the vain attempt to "send a message", but you can just save yourself the time by unplugging your phone then calling up Beacon Hill to voice your displeasure. You don't go from a 0.1 GPA to a 4.0 overnight.

Last edited:
Did anyone bother verifying this information or shall we brand him with a Scarlet "D" now...

The information on that sight is in contrast to everything he has done in MA with GOAL and to the candidate questionnaire that he personally filled out.

He IS the savior of Republican ideals... it's just that those ideals suck these days. As for his rating on gun rights, he deserves a C to D in my book if he supports those restrictions.

You have a good point - he represents a lost party. I just hate to see people under the illusion that Scott Brown's election means more than it does. While people are kigh-kicking in a chorus line for Brown's victory, the reality is that he'll likely change very little for us here in the Bay State. Sure he's going to derail Obamacare, but he stands for government sponsored healthcare - he supports it right here, (and it's a holy mess). Sure he's no Martha Coakley when it comes to gun control, but he is also no real friend the the 2nd Amendment either. Name one piece of pro-gun legislation he's sponsored? Find me one piece of legislation he introduced to fight the excise tax, turnpike, sales taxes, gas taxes, hunting, trapping, etc...Just one. He will be a good wrench in the toolbox in Washington, but we really need to focus more on what can be done right here right now, or we'll be choking down more of the same....Like I said before: we've become all to comfortable being happy and giddy because something is "better than we have now"...

Scott Brown getting a A on guns, is a bit like me getting an A in calculus - I cheated my way through it and scraped by with a D. Let's call him what he is: A D student when it comes to the Second Amendment...Always room for change....

Did anyone bother verifying this information or shall we brand him with a Scarlet "D" now...

The information on that sight is in contrast to everything he has done in MA with GOAL and to the candidate questionnaire that he personally filled out.

What fun would that be... [grin]

I look at it this way... what choice did we really have?

At least Brown potentially might listen to some of us. Coakley? Well, you might as well have invited Hugo Chavez to come in and take the seat, politics would probably be identical.

I suppose im a bit more optimistic than usual- simply because Brown doesn't seam like a typical pol.

-Mike

Mike, are the answers to the questions (or a scanned copy or something) on the GOAL website?

Really very tough crowd here. This thread is amazing in its negativity.

I find a distinct difference between negativity and reality...I for one am elated that he's the new Senator from Massachusetts. I just don't happen to fall into line that he's some standard-bearer for liberty, freedom, a saviour of the Second Amendment and champion of smaller government....

God forbid anyone dissent from the euphoria....

He doesnt believe in government run health care-he believes the states should be left to provide it-not the federal government. Which I think is rational. I think that the option should be left to individual states, NOT the federal govt!

Back
Top Bottom