Why is Russian steel cased 7.62x39 cheaper than 5.56?

Pretty sure the OP is comparing the price of Wolf/Tula 7.62x39 and 5.56, ie both being steel case by the same manufacturer. At least that's how I read it

If that's the case, then he should clarify, but I saw saw his question as being more "in general" because I haven't seen a significant difference when comparing steel to steel like say Tula .223 compared to 7.62x39. I have never bought any steel cased .223 so I'm just going by cursory observation.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here! I can't believe it got this far into the thread without this point being made. Try pricing 7.62x39 ammo in brass case, then get back to me on how much cheaper it is...

We didn't. See my post from page 1...

Because the 7.62x39 is made for an inferior rifle.

I would bet it is a combination of S&D and the fact that the brass cases cost more than the steel ones.

.223 was designed in 1964 so just a tad over 15 yrs. Also the OP asked about 5.56 not .223. 5.56 has been in service since 1962.

Newb here. 7.62 is what the Mosins use right?

I just bought my first Mosin in that group buy.

You wait, my luck: 7.62 ammo will triple in price in the next 3 months.

Then stock up now. 7.62X54r ammo is cheap if you buy the surplus ammo in the bulk cans.

Look at it like this... Brass is NOT cheap, compared with steel. Even at scrap prices, steel is ~$0.25 per pound where brass ranges from $2-$3 per pound. Projectile weight differences don't offset that large a gap in raw material cost. Just like steel case .223 ammo is FAR cheaper than brass case .223 ammo.

It shouldn't be that difficult to understand here.

It is hard to understand if you don't read the OP.

He never mentioned brass cased .223 and steel cased .223 is still more expensive than steel cased 7.62x39.

OP: Supply and demand. Everyone in the supply chain keeps track of what they sell and they raise prices on things that sell more until they stop selling.

100% high demand artificially manufactures high price for in-demand items.
however the trend has been such that prices are slowly coming down. just so happen i'm low on some calibers so i've been watching and tracking prices across the web very closely. yesterday's milestone was 7.62x39 dropped to pre-newtown psychosis price for the first time in many month - 20c/r. and it happened on regular day of the week, not as part of holiday sale ot anything like that. this is great.

however for 223 because of much higher demand (than for 7.62x39) price reduction to normal has been a lot slower and not as stable. there are still flactuations and back and forth price wise. Lowest cost per round i've seen was .24 but that happened near christmas on sale and right after price jumped back to 30c/r or higher. it looks like a current price trend for steel 223 is howering around 30-35 c/r depending on the brand. wolf tends to by priced slightly higher and brown bear - lower.

i personally remeber paying around 30-35 cent for US made brass cased 223/5.56 and i'm not willing nor able to afford to pay that much for steel b/c i'm poor. i'll wait for another half year if need be. i'm a patient man.

I'm considering getting a rifle chambered in 7.62x39, and cost of ammo is a consideration. I feel fine shooting steel cased ammo for that caliber because I'm not expecting superb accuracy, and I'm not that great a shot either.

100% high demand artificially manufactures high price for in-demand items.
however the trend has been such that prices are slowly coming down. just so happen i'm low on some calibers so i've been watching and tracking prices across the web very closely. yesterday's milestone was 7.62x39 dropped to pre-newtown psychosis price for the first time in many month - 20c/r. and it happened on regular day of the week, not as part of holiday sale ot anything like that. this is great.

however for 223 because of much higher demand (than for 7.62x39) price reduction to normal has been a lot slower and not as stable. there are still flactuations and back and forth price wise. Lowest cost per round i've seen was .24 but that happened near christmas on sale and right after price jumped back to 30c/r or higher. it looks like a current price trend for steel 223 is howering around 30-35 c/r depending on the brand. wolf tends to by priced slightly higher and brown bear - lower.

i personally remeber paying around 30-35 cent for US made brass cased 223/5.56 and i'm not willing nor able to afford to pay that much for steel b/c i'm poor. i'll wait for another half year if need be. i'm a patient man.

Wow 20c/r for non corossive x39? Cheapest I've seen is 25c/r.

i know how this argument is going to end. i've been long enough on this forum to be able predict that. therefore i will choose to withdraw while keeping my opinion and not getting into petty argument about 'free America' and 'free market economy'. this isn't about that, not at all. It's about something else, but i'll give every one of you who disagrees with me an opportunity to arrive to that conclusion on your own. or not.

/thread unsubscribed

Back
Top Bottom