Why is .22lr sold out everywhere? I never thought.

I was just coming over here to bitch about the same thing. 22LR sold out, really people??? Get a grip. For the love of gawd just let me go to the store and get a few thousand rounds.

Some guy was selling 2 500 round bricks of minimags on the net for $300 yesterday when I went searching.

Why? It's the economics:

1. 22lr isn't something you can reload (at least not economically).

2. With the ammo shortage, people naturally fall back to 22's so they can plink/train on a budget.

Why? It's the economics:

1. 22lr isn't something you can reload (at least not economically).

2. With the ammo shortage, people naturally fall back to 22's so they can plink/train on a budget.

This, plus the fact that the .22 LR round uses the same raw materials as the larger rounds. I recently spoke with someone who does commercial cartridge loading for Winchester. Guess what? They have NO powder or primers. In other words, their loading operation is currently shut down because they don't have the necessary components.

22lr is in short because IT A REPEAT OF 2008. same reason 22lr firearms have jump in price.
When center fire gets expensive everyone starts shooting 22lr. When this happens everyone who doesn't own a 22lr firearms goes and buys them and ammo to boot. Now consider a lot of 22 plinkers will shoot 1k rounds in a session. Toss in a few kids and multiple guns you want to bring.
With out even trying I average 2500 22lr a year as long as I'm shooting my centerfire guns also. Now with ammo for my centerfire at stupid prices I will shoot 90% 22lr from this point on. So 5k+ yearly from this point on.
Lesson to learn is buy ammo as much as you can when you can. Especially 22lr. You cant have enough 22lr. Stored correctly it last for years. I still dip into my dads mega stash from the 80s and still buy a case (5k) or 2 a year. Shooting a lot or not.

That thing is almost empty. You need a few more of those filled to at least be comfortable.

You can never have too much .22LR stashed away.

Last edited:
My dad has gone to four different stores in N.H and he cannot find any. Good thing I have this! View attachment 56080

IMO, people are simply hoarding.

Someone put it well a few weeks ago in a different thread... ".22 is a glorified BB." In the last few months i've brought my 10/22 and 22/45 to range a few times and get bored to death before I've finished 2 or 3 mags. I'm sure there are a lot of people that have fun with .22 and "train" with it too, but I haven't seen hardly any of them.

In contrast, I've seen plenty of people shooting real training rounds. .223, 9MM, .40, etc...

The question shouldn't be "why are people hoarding". The question to the people complaining should be why the hell didn't you have a hoard before this all started.

You need to have ammo for your guns stored in quantity. If not your guns are USELESS should you ever actually need them. Having guns and not storing ammo is like buying pots and pans and not storing food.

I am not bragging. I was just suprised it was so difficult to find. That ammo can has several thousand rounds in it and my father can grab what he needs.

I thought you were being funny. It turns out this thread was the usual BS and not interesting from post 1.

This thread again? The answer is the same every time: you can't find any because someone else already bought it all. Put some effort into it, get to Dick's/Walmart when they open, hit the phones, send emails to your local LGS, bring CASH, etc. Or wait a while for it to come back into stock. Or buy it from someone who already has some. /Thread

I was at the range today and along with 4 others, we were all shooting .22s (and then progressing up). Years ago, everyone would be shooting centerfire unless they had kids, were teaching someone or were practicing for a competition.
Simple Economics, .22s are cheaper than .40s!

I'm ahead of the curve, I just started hoarding BB's...

And here I was thinking I was odd to grab 4000 Crossman .22 caliber pellets from the same lot. Thankfully I did so back in October. Even target grade pellets are up to crazy prices. That 4k I got for about $80 would now run over $125 if you can find them in that kind of quantity, and good luck getting the same lot.

telepathically uploaded via Google implants.

I'm ahead of the curve, I just started hoarding BB's...

HA I'm further head on the curve than all of you.. I have a hugh stock of bows and arrows and I've started stock piling rocks!!! When all the rocks are gone you'll have to buy from me!!

Last edited:
I hate threads like this, I have a nice supply of .22 but now you have panicked me into buying a few more bricks tomorrow. [thinking]

Chris

Paintballs are where it is at. Plenty of knockdown power against UN european soldiers. Someone want to photoshop up a UN helmet shot up with paintballs...

Back
Top Bottom