Why I almost didn't buy an HK P30, and why I'm GLAD I finally did!

What do they say... Once you go Glock you'll never go back. Or something like that. :)

in this state you don't stand by idle .. you go out and get it anyway you can.. or you'll be waiting past your death bed.

i shot one, pretty nice btw

Not a gun I want to over pay for. 1911s are my only vice for overpaying.

What do they say... Once you go Glock you'll never go back. Or something like that. :)

Had one and sold it within a few weeks. There are a lot of sayings but not all are true [grin]

I'd like to get into IDPA and am planning on using the P30L when I do. Two dumb questions for you:

1) Once you load and re-holster, did you prefer to fire your first shot double action, or from cocked and locked (single action?)

2) Is there a 10 rd mag limit in IDPA? I can't find a definitive answer, and in my opinion that was the one disadvantage of using this gun.. the fact that there will never be pre-ban mags available for it in MA. But maybe it doesn't matter in IDPA if there is a 10 round limit...

I should have mentioned that my P30L is V1 light LEM trigger, so I am always shooting double action but the trigger pull is very light.

I am still learning the rules but for pistols there is a 10 round max so Mass mags are perfect, though the exact number of rounds you can have loaded varies by division as below. The P30 is in the Stock Service Pistol division (SSP) assuming it's stock without exterior modifications.

8.1.3. Division Capacity
8.1.3.1. SSP 10 rounds
8.1.3.2. ESP 10 rounds
8.1.3.3. CDP 8 rounds
8.1.3.4. SSR 6 rounds
8.1.3.5. ESR 6 rounds
8.1.3.6. In SSP, ESP, and CDP, the shooter will also start with one round in the chamber, unless the CoF
description requires otherwise.

I assume if you did have a 15 round mag you could just download it to 10. Also, you need three mags for IDPA, two in an ammo carrier and one in the gun and all must be loaded to division capacity at the start of each round. Since the P30 came with two, I found one for around 50 bucks online.

I am hoping to go to the classifier match at Harvard Sportmen's Club in May.

Ok let me get a couple of things out on the table here....

HK P7M8 - 9mm - My first handgun, kept it until a couple years ago.
HK USPc .40 and USPc .45 (Carried both of these a long time)
HK P2000 .40 LEM (Carried this gun at least an entire year, probably longer)
HK USP .40
HK USP .45, USP .45 Tactical, USP .45 Elite
HK .45 LEM
HK MK23 (w/Maritime finish)

I actually agree with most of what Mike has said here. I have owned a LOT of HK products and am down to a p7m8 and a 9mm uspc.

I am on the fence about trading the USPc. Again I think Mike Nailed it about size.. the "compact" while smaller than the immense USP is actually still pretty friggin huge. And as a steel gun, it is really heavy. IMO, it is not a carry piece as it is too big and too heavy, but it is not really a full size like a 92 or a USP.. It is just in the middle, kind of wondering what it wants to be when it grows up..

I would not sell the P7, it's just too cool..

And the full size USP in 45, was probably the most accurate and softest shooting 45 I have ever encountered.

Last edited:
As much as I bash IDPA, these questions are explained in the rule book.

I'd like to get into IDPA and am planning on using the P30L when I do. Two dumb questions for you:

1) Once you load and re-holster, did you prefer to fire your first shot double action, or from cocked and locked (single action?)

If you are competing in SSP, you must start a DA/SA gun hammer down. If you are in ESP, you may start cocked and locked.

2) Is there a 10 rd mag limit in IDPA? I can't find a definitive answer, and in my opinion that was the one disadvantage of using this gun.. the fact that there will never be pre-ban mags available for it in MA. But maybe it doesn't matter in IDPA if there is a 10 round limit...

It is really pretty simple to understand -- IDPA is trying to create a level playing field.

You can use any size magazine you want, provided it fits in the box. What IDPA controls is not the capacity of your magazine but how many rounds you put in it. Therefore, in SSP you must start with 10 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber (unless the course of fire specifies otherwise or your magazine capacity is less than 10).

FWIW, I have two HKs, an HK45 and a P2000SK in 9mm. At least for these two, I don't think they're ridiculously huge for what they are. I can definitely see that criticism for the USPs though. My thoughts on them are:

negatives:
- The HK45 is pretty flippy and it took a bit to get used to it.
- The DA trigger in particular does suck. I don't get why SIG and CZ can figure out DA/SA triggers that feel so much better but HK can't.
- The HK45 mag prices are ridiculous though the P2000SK magazines aren't anymore expensive than SIG mags.
- On the HK45, popping the slide release out to field strip is a PITA because it's recessed on the other side. The P2000SK isn't like that.
- stupid "night" sights on the HK45. I replaced them with Trijicons.

positives:
- Neither has ever malfunction, period. I've had Glocks, SIGs, an M&P, 1911s, etc and all had malfunctions of one form or another. Neither HK has ever failed to feed, fire or do anything but what they're supposed to. The HK45 has had everything from Wolf to UMC to Ranger +P through it.
- If I had to go swimming in the ocean with a gun, I'd pick an HK.
- I actually think the docker on the P2000SK is a good idea. It's ambi, more or less and doesn't add any width to the gun.
- I like the mag release.

Back
Top Bottom