Why Do You Block Out Gun Serial Numbers?

I have seen P38 listings with the serial numbered XXX'ed out on the text to the ad but the pictures clearly show the serial number. I cant figure that one out.

Is that anything like a zoobow?

2006_beerfest_002.jpg

If you have to ask, big man, you can’t afford it.

If this was the case the gun is contraband and it couldn't be legally sold anyways. Once a gun is altered like that, it becomes a "hot felony potato" and you might as well destroy the frame and sell the parts.

Not always true.
If you remember the recent story of the Bonnie & Clyde guns that went to auction, the Colt revolver was recovered from Bonnies corpse with the serial number filed off. The ATF assigned a new serial number and stamped it into the gun, thus making it legal again to possess.
Sort of the same way the RMV assigns a new VIN to a stolen/recovered car after the original VIN has been removed.

If this was the case the gun is contraband and it couldn't be legally sold anyways. Once a gun is altered like that, it becomes a "hot felony potato" and you might as well destroy the frame and sell the parts.

-Mike

I forgot to put up the sarcastic meter...not really thinking he filed the numbers off. For most cases, that would be a "hot potato" as you stated...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom