Why Do You Block Out Gun Serial Numbers?

I notice on many advertisements where sellers block out the serial numbers and do not understand why they do that.

I want to know what the serial number is on certain guns for sale so that I can tell the date of manufacture; blocking them out makes life difficult.

(Example: on the Glock 26 that is for sale now on NES Classifieds): http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/174895-WTS-Glock-26-Gen3-(in-MA)

I don't get it.

Rich

1) Maybe the serial number has been filed off.

2) Maybe it detracts from the nice looks of the gun, so he covered it.

3) Maybe it is a "stock" photo and the seller does not want people to think that they are getting that exact serial number.

4) Maybe the seller does not like having an "exact gun with serial number" tied to him/her displayed on the internet.

I guess answers #3 or #4.

I would PM him/her and ask for the serial number if it is that important.

I notice on many advertisements where sellers block out the serial numbers and do not understand why they do that.

I want to know what the serial number is on certain guns for sale so that I can tell the date of manufacture; blocking them out makes life difficult.

(Example: on the Glock 26 that is for sale now on NES Classifieds): http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/174895-WTS-Glock-26-Gen3-(in-MA)

I don't get it.

Rich

Because tinfoilers think that someone is going to call the cops and claim it's their gun and that it was stolen. That's pretty much the only reasoning behind it.

As far as when it was made, who cares? PM the seller and ask for the SN prefix if you really need it. [grin]

Course. the seller could make life easier for you by putting the prefix in the ad.... [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Don't ask Don't tell.

Don't let the big brother get your SN and duplicate it. With SN, big brother can trace your info and bring on the SWAT. Your dog will be the victim. [tinfoil]

I suppose to a small degree it might protect you from potential fraud.

Some sellers choose to block out only a part of the serial, thereby giving you enough information to date the firearm.

1) Maybe the serial number has been filed off.

If this was the case the gun is contraband and it couldn't be legally sold anyways. Once a gun is altered like that, it becomes a "hot felony potato" and you might as well destroy the frame and sell the parts.

-Mike

Because tinfoilers think that someone is going to call the cops and claim it's their gun and that it was stolen. That's pretty much the only reasoning behind it.

As far as when it was made, who cares? PM the seller and ask for the SN prefix if you really need it. [grin]

Course. the seller could make life easier for you by putting the prefix in the ad.... [laugh]

-Mike

Yeah, so PM them and ask for the serial to get the "Gun Facts"!

Charles.

I have always wondered about that myself. Many people on the car forums block out their license plates when posting photos too. I personally never have, but apparently the theory with the cars is that it allows thieves to access the dmv database, get your home address and then come and steal your car. Sure...[laugh]

That guy better move his face before he gets a dick in the eye......

Occupational hazard.

images

I've done it. I guess it's just out of habit. Honestly if some .gov agency wants to find out who you are through a forum, they'll figure it out one way or the other. Are you doing everything firearms-related legally and covering your ass? Yes? then why would they give a damn about you.

I started doing it because I saw other seasoned forum guys doing it and I wanted to be cool and mysterious like them. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom