• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why do people sell guns with 50 rounds through them?

I have a gun listed for sale (it's SPF) with 55 rounds through it. It's a Ruger LCP MAX - I bought it because it's the smallest 10rd count mag .380 available. I couldn't try it before I bought it. I have a messed up right hand/wrist, so I'm really limited to what calibers I can shoot now. Anyway, I bought it, put a box of .380 fmj through it, and my hand & wrist hurt for almost a week. So I tried a couple of tweeks to reduce the recoil, and shot another 5 rounds to test it. Unfortunately the tweeks didn't improve it enough for my damaged wrist. So I'm selling it.

Lots of reasons, but most people are losing 100-150 bucks on it out the door, so they might as well shoot it a bit more.

Unless its a Glock or a hard to find non mass type gun, then your pretty much breaking even or making a few dollars if you bought it correctly. Hence the reason for maybe
50 rounds and if you didn't like it your not selling it at a loss.

Also, large caliber small revolvers and small carry guns don't get shot a lot by some people because some of them just suck to shoot. So they put 50 rounds thru it and it either sits or they carry it and want to move on.

It’s not always cost it’s about poorly informed decisions. For example an SW340PD is a very expensive revolver. Nobody that knows better would buy one. (between the pain of firing them and the tendency of the guns to blow up/fall apart. )
I traded for a 340sc and took it to the range twice. It beat the shit outta my hand so I sold it and bought a proper 586 w/ 6” barrel. That one isn’t going anywhere.

how about they got a box of ammo with it when they bought it and can't find any more ammo after shooting that box, or the ammo they find is too expensive so sell the gun.

500's are fun to shoot compared to a 340 PD. I've fired @EddieCoyle's 500s a few times. Not for amateurs but a pleasurable experience compared to a 340.
Ya .. I have an m&p 340 with about 50 rounds through it… want to buy it?

but guns are like shoes.. you just don’t know how they really work for you until you have walked around in them all day.

Because they don't know any better and buy something that sucks or doesn't fit them. Or they "impulse buy and regret"
Or they think they'll be able to shoot the ass off of a flea @ 75', then go to the range and can't hit the broad side of the barn from inside of it. 🤷

...I also don't believe sellers when they provide a round count absent other verifiable information, such as if I can tell the gun's not been shot much or I knew when the seller got the gun and how much he shot it. Did they really shoot only fifty round or was it 26 or 48 or 64 or 538?
I keep a spreadsheet with round counts on all my guns. I know a couple of other members here are equally psychotic.

I’m going to be selling an unfired LE6920 that “I had to have” soon. If a potential buyer doesn’t believe the round count I couldn’t give a f*** less.

Nawh. None of the above. The guy buys the gun after he promised the wife that he would not buy any more. She catches him at it and tells him that he won't get laid until he sells it. He shoots the one box of ammo that came with it and sells it the next day. You know who you are. Jack.
Correct. ‘Cuz wife

how about they got a box of ammo with it when they bought it and can't find any more ammo after shooting that box, or the ammo they find is too expensive so sell the gun.

Kind of on point? I imagine there will be many (some?) very lightly used firearms up for sale soon, if not already.
How many pandemic panic buyers put a box through their new gun, hated it, and it didn’t take much for their wife to have convinced them it’s not safe to have in the house?

There’s an adrenaline rush the first few times shooting a gun (I still get tingly years later 😍) and I imagine some people fall in love with it, and some people are turned off by it.

None of my guns has a low round count because I shoot several times a week but many don't. I have almost a full box of .500 S&W that someone gave me because he loaded the gun once, fired it, said holy shit and sold it.

Bought a 365 SAS, went from the store to the range, shot 2 mags, hated the shit out of it, stopped at the same store on my way home and gave it in consignment. Stuff happens.

500's are fun to shoot compared to a 340 PD. I've fired @EddieCoyle's 500s a few times. Not for amateurs but a pleasurable experience compared to a 340.

What? You must not have read this review about the 'Fatal Feather':

Smith & Wesson Revolver 340PD - AirLite Sc

"If it is true that the eye always wants its part, handling a weapon like this is like having a poem in your hands;..."

I must have missed the poem about the gentleman from Nantucket putting his famous member onto an anvil for a few sledgehammer whacks. [rofl]

Most likely there are more than a few low round count guns sold because their bite is as bad as their bark. My Dad's lightweight 7mm Mag is a great western hunting rifle, but not at all pleasant to shoot heavy hunting loads for more than a few rounds unless there is some sort of shoulder padding involved. After about 10 rounds you will get a black and purple shoulder if wearing only a T-shirt. Lighter loads + shooting jacket no problema.

Back
Top Bottom