Why do people sell guns with 50 rounds through them?

“Gun manics” do this all the time. There’s literally a small subcategory of gun buyers who don’t shoot 95% of the guns they buy. They will mod them and have all kinds of delusions of grandeur but never shoot them. Then some period of time passes and a purge happens. It’s the gun culture equivalent of anorexia/bulimia. Binge. purge. wash, rinse, repeat.
I've certainly had a few times of "well, I want to get into this thing"......... Like that time I wanted to do cowboy action shooting and bought some stuff....then said. I have no time for that! And sold the vaquero's 6 months later. Luckily I had bought them used....but i still took a hit.

Very few times do I mod anything without keeping or shooting it though....that's a different type of stupidity. Because Mods you never get your money back barely ever......so you might as well sell the gun stock if your not going to shoot it or keep it. Most of any gun I think I will carry I put night sights on them. And almost every time i've given them away when I sold the gun.

If your going to Gucci a glock and sell it....might as well just sell it stock.

I've bought and sold dozens of guns I never put more than 50 rds through. I don't think any of them were new when I bought them. Some, I bought because they were inexpensive and I knew I could make a buck on them. Others, I thought were cool at the time, but the infatuation faded. Currently, I have a Springfield 1911 Range Officer in 9mm I won in a raffle. I put 1 mag through it and now have it for sale.
People are free to believe the story or not.

I could see a Mosin having 5 owners and only 50 rounds through it.
I bought one on a Saturday, shot it on a Sunday, sold it on a Monday... Solomon Grundy.

Back when they were stupid cheap, like $150 bucks, bought it at the Marlboro show. Took it to the range the next day with my son. Loaded 5 and sent them down range and thought.. " This thing sucks. Why do people love them?" Accuracy is meh. Recoil is stupid for what you get out of it, which surprised me because it is a relatively heavy gun. Trigger sucks. And it just feels like shit.
Loaded another 5 to see if I would change my mind. Shot 4 and my opinion remained. Son shot 1 and I asked him if he wanted to reload it. "Nope. Can we shoot an AR?"
Sold it for same I paid and threw in the unused ammo. POS communist peasant rifle.

I wanted to like the P220, but I couldn't shoot it nearly as well as the 1911, and I don't have time to figure out why, I only get to the range every couple of months at this point in my life, so I sold it.

I buy, sell and trade all the time. I have a good enough collection that there are a few guns with very low round counts that can easily be used for trade fodder if I want too. Think it depends on what you are buying and selling. In my early years I took quantity over quality so I disliked more then a few guns after shooting them. Now I lean more to quality and items I can more easily offload if I want. Low Round counts and all.

Somewhere over the years I became more of a collector then a shooter. I still shoot a lot but many of my guns I just enjoy knowing I own them.

I buy and sell all the time time too. Sometimes I'll pick up a new-to-me gun that's only been shot a couple boxes and you could easily tell it's low mileage. People [read: me] have short attention spans and sometimes want to try out the latest models or over time grow to like a specific different type of firearm that they currently have. For example, I used to love Glocks (G19 gen 4 was my first ever firearm) but now prefer DA/SA with thumb safety pistols. I've gotten rid of tactical expensive toys like a DP12, Tavors, etc. in favor of more utilitarian and traditionally designed guns. Aesthetics change and peoples' tastes change. Nothing wrong with buying or selling 'low mileage' guns... doesn't mean you're an idiot.

2. The gun doesn't s*ck, but it is in a caliber that is not shot often. (Example: .460, 500 SW ...)

For example, if you buy a 500 SW revolver, don't expect it to have 2K rounds through it, most might have 200 rounds. Because it is either too expensive to shoot, or the owner thought it would be cool to own the gun and now regrets it because he doesn't reload and the commercial ammo is too powerful for his soft hands. But the gun is a good gun.

Milsurps and really old guns are another example of this. PSA sold a bunch of 6.5x52 Carcanos either this year or last year. Most people who bought them aren't the kind of people that are going to load 6.5 Carcano, which isn't the same bore diameter as most other 6.5s. So, assuming they even find ammo, they aren't going to shoot the guns much.

Twenty or forty rounds through a Carcano, though, is a different story than someone who buys a new .44/whatever mag and only shoots it a teeny bit. Its more like "round count unknown."

Milsurps and really old guns are another example of this. PSA sold a bunch of 6.5x52 Carcanos either this year or last year. Most people who bought them aren't the kind of people that are going to load 6.5 Carcano, which isn't the same bore diameter as most other 6.5s. So, assuming they even find ammo, they aren't going to shoot the guns much.

Twenty or forty rounds through a Carcano, though, is a different story than someone who buys a new .44/whatever mag and only shoots it a teeny bit. Its more like "round count unknown."
Mil surp definitely. I have several Mausers I bought and never shot.

Mil surp definitely. I have several Mausers I bought and never shot.

That’s an entirely different disease, which is fine. Someone’s gotta buy that junk, and the collectors at least are serious about it. And some of it is pretty cool. I actually kinda feel bad for them because the sandy hook fgts drove a lot of
prices up.

That’s an entirely different disease, which is fine. Someone’s gotta buy that junk, and the collectors at least are serious about it. And some of it is pretty cool. I actually kinda feel bad for them because the sandy hook fgts drove a lot of
prices up.
I said Mausers, not .40 Shield. Not sure why you called them junk.

I said Mausers, not .40 Shield. Not sure why you called them junk.

I am a c*** when it comes to old stuff. Better than a .40 shield? sure anything is. but not something id use. Unless its a family heirloom or a gift from a friend, most of that stuff is just safe clutter. I’d rather see someone buy it that enjoys it. There’s about maybe a half dozen or so that I wouldn’t hate, lol. M1 Garand, K31, M1 carbine, an old Sig P210. Makarov. BHP. Like if a friend told me hey i got a lead on a Luger you can get it for like 400 bucks it’s legit and it’s due to blah blah sure I would buy the damn thing but then I would flip it in about 10 nanoseconds. Or sell it to a friend for what i paid etc. The only way im keeping clunky mausers, sks, mosin, or milsurp 1911s, lugers, p38s, etc around in my life is if its a gift or a family heirloom. Otherwise a lot of that stuff lacks long term interest to me. Lots of great guns….. for somebody else to own.

Low round counts don't surprise me. What does confuse me is when i see an add for a gun that has clearly had a bunch of work done to it and claims to be unfired. I mean who would buy a gun and drop $200 to improve it only to have it sit untouched.

Gift gun with a great deal of sentimental value then hard times.

They don't.
I have.... several times actually

I have an issue with hk trigger guards... all of them they rub my finger wrong and blister my hand. I knew this on the vp line up but I love the way they look so I bought a p30. Dry firing didn't expose my finger the way live fire did. So 5 shots finger rub sold it. Same mistake with a usp 9 that time I put 2 rounds fte hard and I took the gun home extracted the round and sold it

500's are fun to shoot compared to a 340 PD. I've fired @EddieCoyle's 500s a few times. Not for amateurs but a pleasurable experience compared to a 340.
The beauty of the 340PD is it’s 10.5 oz weight if I’m thinking about the correct model in .38+P. It’s meant to be carried a lot, and shot very little. I couldn’t imagine anyone owning one with more than a couple dozen or so rounds through it. But I bet there’s more than a few still getting carried around in pocket and ankle holsters.

The beauty of the 340PD is it’s 10.5 oz weight if I’m thinking about the correct model in .38+P. It’s meant to be carried a lot, and shot very little. I couldn’t imagine anyone owning one with more than a couple dozen or so rounds through it. But I bet there’s more than a few still getting carried around in pocket and ankle holsters.

Lol its .actually 357 Magnum. I have lost track of the # of people I know that have had theirs blow up. It doesn't take much, either.

Lol its .actually 357 Magnum. I have lost track of the # of people I know that have had theirs blow up. It doesn't take much, either.
The whole "scandium" thing really sketches me out, so this is good confirmatory intel. Also, is there a thing as too light for a revolver spitting 357?

The whole "scandium" thing really sketches me out, so this is good confirmatory intel. Also, is there a thing as too light for a revolver spitting 357?

There are other guns like the 327 TRR8 that hold up really well that are scandium. But the 327 TRR8 is not some feather-gun. I think that with the 340PD there is simply not enough mass going on there to deal with the shock/recoil going on. Mind you when 340PDs blow up they don't turn into grenades, but the frames will crack in a couple of spots and the gun becomes inoperative. Round counts are not consistent when this happens. One of the guys I know that had his blow up never had any trouble again after they replaced the frame, but I dont know if he ever shot it as much after they sent it back.

Sadly, most of my guns have less than 100rds thru them. There are one or two favorites. The rest sit in the safe. I get a great idea and act on it. Then the idea passes.

In the last 4-5 years, the ideas are dismissed BEFORE cash is laid out. I think my last gun was 2 years ago and that was a test of a single-stack compact Glock (45, 49, 54, 129 - whatever the #). It was nice. Not sure if it's replace-the-19/23 nice.

Hell, I was 90% the way to get my AR SBR'd back in Febbarerry. I still haven't finished that paperwork. LOL

So I am that moron. Less so than a decade ago, but still there sometimes.

.357 Magnum, OUCH!
I never put any magnums in mine. A handful of +P just to test that the bullets didn’t get pulled out when firing, then dialed in the laser grips with standard 38 special, and then a couple more +Ps to verify. And it’s been working perfectly sitting in a holster for the past 15 or so years where I hope it stays.

The only gun I've ever sold was a Kahr M1 Carbine I'd won in a GOAL raffle. It was fun. light. handy. but the ammo for it was expensive for what it was, and it wasn't as reliable as I'd have liked. I sold it to an NES member to fund an AR carbine build. The AR is also light, handy, shoots a better cartridge with many options for bullet types, is fully modern, and is 100% dead nuts reliable AF.

"Those are all junk" - Drgrant :) (JK)

"Nice collection" - Broccoli Iglesias

What is that long one at the top?
That long one on top obviously needs a red dot [rofl]

IMG_3193a.jpg IMG_3186a.jpg IMG_3191.JPG

I think it's a super rare Flobert sniper pistol, with an excellent smooth bore! I might consider a trade for a M107A1 o_O

German Proofs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom