Why do most clubs in MA require an NRA membership to join?

I'm currently a member of Harvard Sportsmen's and it's a great place and the club officers do a great job. I also used to be a member of MRA. Both of these places require an NRA membership to join. Can anyone tell me why that's a prerequisite?

I ask, because as a Massachusetts resident, I'm not very enthusiastic with the NRA's level of support for the burden gun owners live under in this state. As an example of what the NRA does for people in other states, see here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/120206-California-ammo-ban-dead.

So, as an alternative, would it be possible to have a GOAL membership as an alternative prerequisite? Or maybe make a donation to Comm2A?

I think it might have to do with club affiliation. If MRA and HSC are NRA affiliated clubs, then it might be a requirement of the affiliation. The NRA also provides insurance, and I bet dollars to doughnuts, if either of these clubs are on their insurance, that members of the clubs must also be NRA members.

-Mike

I think it might have to do with club affiliation. If MRA and HSC are NRA affiliated clubs, then it might be a requirement of the affiliation. The NRA also provides insurance, and I bet dollars to doughnuts, if either of these clubs are on their insurance, that members of the clubs must also be NRA members.

-Mike

Thanks Mike. That makes sense, especially the insurance part.

I'm currently a member of Harvard Sportsmen's and it's a great place and the club officers do a great job. I also used to be a member of MRA. Both of these places require an NRA membership to join. Can anyone tell me why that's a prerequisite?

I ask, because as a Massachusetts resident, I'm not very enthusiastic with the NRA's level of support for the burden gun owners live under in this state. As an example of what the NRA does for people in other states, see here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/120206-California-ammo-ban-dead.

So, as an alternative, would it be possible to have a GOAL membership as an alternative prerequisite? Or maybe make a donation to Comm2A?

Is this new? MRA do not have the requirement (as far as I know). HSC do have this as a requirement.

I asked the same question at my club, where a NRA membership is only required for the first year you are a member. The answer was insurance. But the club requires a GOAL membership as long as you are a member which I whole heartedly agree with.
Cape Ann Sportsmans Club, probably should have stuck that in there somewhere.

I just joined MRA and they didn't require my brother our I to be members with the NRA.maybe in the past

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

Is this new? MRA do not have the requirement (as far as I know). HSC do have this as a requirement.

I could have sworn they required it, but it's been awhile since I joined there.

Maybe it was just a "recommendation".

I have heard multiple people @ HSC state their desire for the club to be a "100% GOAL club" -- definitely an admirable target. I know that not all members of the club shoot, but I would expect anyone who does to be a GOAL member anyway.

At one time NRA required 100% to have insurance thru them.

I have been told by club officers that NRA NO LONGER requires this level of membership. However, I'm sure that many clubs are unaware of the change in policy.

The NRA, GOAL and others are the gun owners voice in government. I can see why gun clubs would want their members to be a part of a political action org. It might be the only way for the club to stay in business if it's located in a red town. They might rely on the pressure applied by these org's to survive??

One motivator is the ability to buy NRA insurance (I think 50% membership is required), however, NRA insurance tends not to have the best deal as their policy (the last time I checked) has HUGE exclusions - like "does not cover suits brought by members".

One motivator is the ability to buy NRA insurance (I think 50% membership is required), however, NRA insurance tends not to have the best deal as their policy (the last time I checked) has HUGE exclusions - like "does not cover suits brought by members".

Yes, Braintree R&P dropped NRA insurance a number of years ago. I understand that whoever we use now provides better coverage for less money than NRA insurance did.

Yes, Braintree R&P dropped NRA insurance a number of years ago. I understand that whoever we use now provides better coverage for less money than NRA insurance did.

I suspect a primary component of selection as "NRA insurance carrier" is the amount of the honorarium paid to the NRA in return for the designation. Excluding suits by members and hunting accidents (another NRA exclusion) is a hole sufficient to make insurance nearly worthless.

Back
Top Bottom