• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why buy pre-bans?

Also take a step back. You don’t need to have used that rifle. How about self defense shooting with your MA compliant whatever pistol with low cap mag? They’re going to hold everything you own and suspend your license while the investigation is ongoing. Wasn’t it Dedham PD that smashed open a fixed mag AR pistol (compliant) and said it was an AW? Took the manufacturer to come into court and prove it wasn’t indeed compliant. Think they won’t wrench on that fake pinned brake?

Or, medical emergency while you’re cleaning a gun. Or, car accident coming back from the range.

This risk is greater than people calculate. But, you do you. Your guns your choice.
No argument there, It was a hypothetical question.
In my neighborhood, there was recently an armed home invasion by 5 attackers who beat and tied the homeowners in their cellar then ransacked the home.
My EDC is my first choice in most cases, but if I see 5 possible attackers outside my home via camera, the AR is a better choice.

I brought it up because when I aak about the Maura 2016 enforcement, so many are quick to laugh and say just buy the evil non compliant weapon. What good is it if you can't use it for defensive purposes.
yes and no. to laugh is normal, as no one is going to cry here.
but - to anyone with brains it is a very clear message - cops cannot assess a lot on a spot, a pre-ban it is or not - but they see and react on those 2 things as a bull to a red cloth - a 30rd mag and stocks that move. and it is very easy to bypass this issue with things i posted.

Thank you. That's exactly what I expected.

I brought it up because when I aak about the Maura 2016 enforcement, so many are quick to laugh and say just buy the evil non compliant weapon. What good is it if you can't use it for defensive purposes.
Hold on, I was talking about 1994 pre-bans. I've got no opinion on Maura's 2016 intepretation letter.

yes and no. to laugh is normal, as no one is going to cry here.
but - to anyone with brains it is a very clear message - cops cannot assess a lot on a spot, a pre-ban it is or not - but they see and react on those 2 things as a bull to a red cloth - a 30rd mag and stocks that move. and it is very easy to bypass this issue with things i posted.
If you're going to persue compliance make sure you change your parts out of state (or have an immunized party like an ffl do the work) and document that fact, because you can potentially be " illegal in transit" in that little window while performing the modifications. Just saying. 🤣

Yes you probably think I'm insane but that's how this whole compliance thing is it's basically insane on its face. 🤣

Why do people buy pre-bans for $2,500 when you can buy a brand new AR-15 for $500 with a fixed stock?
Human nature. When you tell someone that they can't have something, they want it all the more, no matter what the cost. If you have a wife or a girlfriend, then you should know this.

Human nature. When you tell someone that they can't have something, they want it all the more, no matter what the cost. If you have a wife or a girlfriend, then you should know this.

"kinda". Theres an entire realm of pre94 SOFMAG type firearms though that are basically just a large barrel of hot garbage.

Believe it or not, but MA now has an approved plumbing fixture roster. A plumber is not allowed to install a fixture that is not on the roster. :rolleyes:

I'm sure, but in this case this was a retrofit job, that faucet was not broken and they replaced a perfectly good faucet for the sake of virtue signaling. (Because big name libtard edu) And it's not like they had a problem in there where "hooligans were keeping the water running" etc.🤣

If you're going to persue compliance make sure you change your parts out of state (or have an immunized party like an ffl do the work) and document that fact, because you can potentially be " illegal in transit" in that little window while performing the modifications. Just saying. 🤣

Yes you probably think I'm insane but that's how this whole compliance thing is it's basically insane on its face. 🤣
And yet hood rats are rarely sent to jail.

Face facts boys and girls. Whitey and gun owners are the new darkies.

I make fun of 2016 and only refer to pre- Sep 1994 as “pre-ban”. 🤷‍♂️

Not necessarily. Quite a few pre-bans have historic value, such as SP1s. As long as the pre-ban owner has the original parts to return it to.

I can assure you this rifle has much better performance and is more reliable than a $500 AR.

And doing a rough calculation of the key parts (not optics/lights), the build was $2.3k. Good quality parts all around, including down to the LPK, and assembled methodically and according to proper procedures and best practices with an QA/QC inspector who I trust (me). Yeah, I’ll take it over a $500 PSA any day of the week, even though it cost a lot more. Overall cost is inline with new premium ARs.

Admittedly, there are some extra costs that could be swapped like the Geissele trigger/handguard, Badger safety/charging handle and Surefire flash hider. Those are purely preference and could easily be substituted with cheaper parts. A quality build can easily be sub-$2k.

View attachment 822715
But can you get shorty?

Attachments

• 20231201_121332.jpg
    20231201_121332.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 22
Did you get those cards on a fishing trip when your guns fell off into the ocean?
Almost. I only lost one in the ocean. 12 gauge shot gun while shark hunting off the cape. A great white swallowed it. All I have left now is a 22 revolver, bolt action 22 and a o/u shotgun

I've got one pre-ban Valmet with a folding stock. Honestly, folding stocks don't do anything for me. Collapsible stocks allow me to tailor the length of pull to my physique and to what I'm wearing that day (T-shirt versus thick winter coat), so I've got more use for collapsible stocks than folding stocks. YMMV.

...you had me at Valmet.

brokeback mountain GIF

Thankfully, I never met a plumber that cared.
Last year when I was looking for contractors to redo a couple bathrooms they made me aware of the issue. For routine plumbing repairs without a building permit or inspection I suspect it is a non-issue. But if you are doing a bathroom gut rehab with a permit and inspection then apparently it becomes an issue.

The MA legislators claim to be concerned about the high cost of housing, but they keep passing nonsense like this.

Last edited:
The FEDs actually went Green on here? Or Healey is sparing no expense for intel?

Anyway, it doesn’t really matter what you are buying. Registering the firearm means whenever the “law” changes or reinterpreted confiscation is just a knock, knock away. I says this as someone that has done the dance and have my firearms registered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom