• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why attend/what goes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks.. Please feel free to yell and tell me to do a better search, or go to another forum. I might just be tired and just not using my brain to gather info..

I have been on the forum for a cpl years (casually) and heard a lot about the Appleseed training shoots.. but I haven't really gotten a solid idea on what occurs at the events.

I checked out appleseedinfo.org and got the marketing pitch, but not so much a particularly detailed account on what actually goes on. Did I miss something? (I'm sure I did).

Can anyone chronicle ROUGHLY what will occur for the day?

Basically I am trying to determine if i'd be wasting a a weekend if I went to an event. I am solidly in the causal/fun shooter who'd really like to step up my game but need some rudimentary training.

Any thoughts on all of the above? Please feel free to just drop links and/or call me an idiot for this post if you so feel fit!

Thanks all.

Morgan

IMHO, the marketing pitch is annoying as hell, but the training has its benefits. However, I personally do not look to join cults, either. Never done it, probably never will.

In a nutshell:

Saturday you'll come in, and shoot a target that everyone shoots when they come in at the beginning of the day to let you know exactly where you stand. Then you will learn gradually over the course of about 4 or 5 parts all you need to know to shoot a rifle well, steady hold factors, 6 steps to firing a shoot, natural point of aim, how to adjust your sights and zero your rifle. Then basically the rest of the weekend is shooting AQTs to attempt to attain the coveted rifleman's patch (a 210 out of 250 on the AQT). This target forces you to gain the skills needed to accurately shoot at targets equivalently sized to a man at 400 meters (and the 1 inch squares we use simulate out to 500m!). You'll also hear about the three strikes of the match, the events that took place on April 19th, 1775 and your heritage as an American. You'll be told the story of Paul Revere and the militia that risked it all so that you and I may be free.

I've yet to have anyone tell me at an appleseed that it wasn't worth it. Maybe thats because they went home instead of telling me but everyone I know has improved enormously. Can't beat $70 for training of this caliber.

Well, bostonasphalt2, I guess you can hate the pitch, but I don't know what about learning to shoot 500m targets and learning about YOUR heritage is not to love. I don't join cults myself so maybe we think alike. If you find any cults let me know so I can stay clear of them.

IMHO, the marketing pitch is annoying as hell, but the training has its benefits. However, I personally do not look to join cults, either. Never done it, probably never will.

Are you comparing Appleseed to a cult?

Rifle marksmanship and the story of April 19, 1775. That is what is put out at these weekends. I first attended one as a cocky fresh military vet, and was almost embarrassed by my ability, I had a lot of bad habits to shake. I also knew next to nothing about the events of April 19th, after listening to the stories told over the lunch break, it gave me an appreciation for the men that fought that day. It took me one and a half Appleseed weekends to shoot a rifleman's score of over 210 on the old Army qual test. I am now an instructor in training.

You will shoot 800+ rounds at a New England Appleseed weekend. You will learn the necessary fundamentals to shoot from the standing, sitting, and prone positions and make 4 MOA groups on the paper.

Ninsho covered it pretty well. You really can't beat Appleseed for learning the fundamentals of rifle shooting.

wow... 800+???? those are obviously not covered under the $70 fee, so how much does it cost each of you?

That is the reason the bulk of the training, if not all, is done with a .22 rifle at 25 meters with graduated targets to simulate actual distance to 400 yards. A 10/22 with a set of Tech Sites are ideal for Appleseed events.

There is a full distance shoot at Jericho VT this summer, July and Sept, where we will be going out to 600. I think the center fire round count for that event is 200, with the rest being .22.

Last edited:
At most events you can shoot centerfire for the whole thing if you want / can afford it. 22LR is the way to go though for your first event. I recommend a 10/22 with tech sights, but any mag fed semi-auto 22 with good click adjustable sights or scope will do great. If you can't execute the fundamentals on a 22, you're just wasting money on centerfire ammo.

You will shoot 800+ rounds at a New England Appleseed weekend. You will learn the necessary fundamentals to shoot from the standing, sitting, and prone positions and make 4 MOA groups on the paper.

wow... 800+???? those are obviously not covered under the $70 fee, so how much does it cost each of you?

Don't know if anyone was keeping count or if we broke any records this weekend, but I shot two full 550 rd bulk packs (Federal, ~$20 each at WM) and probably about 250-300 rds of the third box! And that was in spite of the rain, mud, sand, heat.

Saturday you'll come in, and shoot a target that everyone shoots when they come in at the beginning of the day to let you know exactly where you stand. Then you will learn gradually over the course of about 4 or 5 parts all you need to know to shoot a rifle well, steady hold factors, 6 steps to firing a shoot, natural point of aim, how to adjust your sights and zero your rifle. Then basically the rest of the weekend is shooting AQTs to attempt to attain the coveted rifleman's patch (a 210 out of 250 on the AQT).

Well, that's most of it. But inevitably, there will be some bad habits that shooters are bound and determined to hold onto (lack of followthrough is classic), so there will occasionally be some drills to erase whatever bad habits are still occurring. There may also be some fun rounds to break up the afternoon, too. Basically, you are NOT going to be bored, and you WILL learn to shoot better.

I remember thinking much the same thing three years ago when I went to my first AS... and boy, what I learned was amazing. Even more, I discovered that this is also a great cause to be working for.

$70. What is that, a nights drinking out with the boys? A nice dinner with the other half? A ball game at Fenway? This is a full WEEKEND of training. And your other half can come with you for that price because she shoots for FREE.

I shot my first shoot with an M1 Garand and spent about $150 on ammo. Still worth it. Later shoots I moved over to a .22.

Persistence.jpg

Don't know if anyone was keeping count or if we broke any records this weekend, but I shot two full 550 rd bulk packs (Federal, ~$20 each at WM) and probably about 250-300 rds of the third box! And that was in spite of the rain, mud, sand, heat.

Yeah, that's an Appleseed Shoot, New England style. We shoot a LOT. And we make a lot of Riflemen, too.

Yuh Lens, I kept all my targets and with Red Coats and squares, I count 1100 rounds.
But I did sit out a few on Sun pm.
Now who was doing that brass magent vacum.....

All my pre-thunderstorm targets from Sunday were soaking in mud when we returned. They all got dumped.

Check this out for a "brass magnet"

http://www.nutwizard.com/?gclid=CKG12Nu3kKICFYpM2godbgi5cQ

I saw these being sold at the last 2 gun shows I attended (don't recall who had them however). NO idea if they really work on brass. I'm sure that it won't work with .22s however (shells too small). If this really works for larger brass, I'd buy one as my back and knees can't take the continual bending over to pick up a few here and a few there, etc.

ETA: Amazon.com lists a number of other (cheaper) devices that might work for some/most shell casings.

Last edited:

Appleseed is either a cult, nor is it a militia, another thing it is not, is "training" .
Appleseed is instruction. Nothing more, nothing less.

I suggest attending at least a mini event, the only things you are required to bring are an open mind and a teachable attitude.

Pink mist
I don't know where you got this from but nothing could be further from the truth and if you have actually atttended an event you know there is no mention is of inciting, encouraging or promotion any sort of revolt, uprising, (Other than an uprising or voters) or promotion of seditious activities.

Again, I suggest attending at least a mini (most times they are free, depending on location) and find out for yourself.

The discussion of any of the above by instructors is prohibited as being "Off Mission" and any discussion of these activites during the event (Or on the RWVA forum, as well as this sub forum) by attendees is frowned upon.

Last edited:
Mr Twigg - I could be wrong but I think Palladin was indicating that we instruct on the skills needed to hit small targets at long range but that's my optimistic opinion.

And yes, you're most correct - we teach shooting skills and review the events of April 19, 1775, the rest is up to the students to practice their liberties

Check this out for a "brass magnet"

http://www.nutwizard.com/?gclid=CKG12Nu3kKICFYpM2godbgi5cQ

I saw these being sold at the last 2 gun shows I attended (don't recall who had them however). NO idea if they really work on brass. I'm sure that it won't work with .22s however (shells too small). If this really works for larger brass, I'd buy one as my back and knees can't take the continual bending over to pick up a few here and a few there, etc.

ETA: Amazon.com lists a number of other (cheaper) devices that might work for some/most shell casings.

Actually, they WILL pick up .22 casings off a hard surface when new. I've seen a couple do this at the local pin match. Cool tools.

Michael.

thanks for the info guys. Personally. I like a good cult. They make the BEST kool-aid!

What's a "mini" event? Am I to assume a 1 day event?

As much as I'd love a full weekend, even a local one, that's likely more time than I will be allowed to invest. Yeah, I said it... allowed. ;)

Last edited:
Yes, woman, folks under 21, mil, police, etc all shoot free.

Just be careful, once the wife/girlfriend starts throwing up Rifleman scores you wont hear the end of it on the ride home, ask me how I know.
56.gif

Just be careful, once the wife/girlfriend starts throwing up Rifleman scores you wont hear the end of it on the ride home, ask me how I know.
56.gif

That's why you have to beat them too it. mine got a little flustered that i scored rifleman, and then started shooting worse because she was frustrated. I actually felt bad.... just for a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom