• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why attend/what goes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the info guys. Personally. I like a good cult. They make the BEST kool-aid!

What's a "mini" event? Am I to assume a 1 day event?

As much as I'd love a full weekend, even a local one, that's likely more time than I will be allowed to invest. Yeah, I said it... allowed. ;)

Go saturday....then at the next event go Sunday

I have never heard or read anywhere at an Appleseed or on the Appleseed forum about LE shooting free.

IIRC That's at the discretion of the event's shoot boss.

Interesting . . .

- When you register online (as I did), it becomes a moot point.

- One would have to know to ask for said waiver, highly unlikely to happen. [The post above was the first I heard of it and wouldn't have had a clue wrt who to ask before registering.]

- It would also mean that only "walk-ons" might get this waiver. And Pelham was advertised as "sold out" (even though apparently 9 people were no-shows), so you weren't likely to get "walk-ons".

Sounds like it would be better to make one firm policy and stick with it, like they do for women, young'uns and Military . . . or not give LE the discount and be done with it.

Last edited:
I have been told lots of different services are not held to the cost of registration. Don't take it as gospel, the actual event threads have specific information for the specific shoot.

Gentlemen, you might be confusing range fee's with the appleseed registration fees. I have yet to hear of a free LEO at an appleseed. Range fees are the discretion of the club. Some clubs have none, some charge as much as $10 per shooter per day. Some charge women, military, children, some don't.

I have been told lots of different services are not held to the cost of registration. Don't take it as gospel, the actual event threads have specific information for the specific shoot.

I won't take it as gospel. [wink]

The info on Pelham was mute on this subject. Seemed to use the National form/info and nothing more (other than local places to eat/sleep) which led to the following issues:

* Many came with one box of ammo (500-550 rds) only. I sent a number of folks to Wal-Mart, where they had some Fed bulk packs on Saturday night. I ran ~1300 rds for both days, but I had been forewarned about this from Dwarven1 so I actually had brought 3 boxes for each of us with me.

* Some of us went out and bought lunch (per instructions) which was a PITA for those of us staying in local hotel/motels. We had no idea that the club was cooking lunch (would have been a simpler solution for most of us).

* A suggestion to bring some empty large trash bags would be a good thing (nationally)! Putting dirty/muddy shooting mats, etc. on top of clean suitcases or other items in the trunk is not desirable when a simple solution exists. If we do another Appleseed, we'll be wiser, but this should be in the basic info given to everyone.

I don't want to sound disgruntled, because I'm not . . . I just think that some info could be improved upon.

police, etc all shoot free.

NO!! Police do NOT shoot for free.

Sounds like it would be better to make one firm policy and stick with it, like they do for women, young'uns and Military

There IS one firm policy! I don't know who keeps coming up with this "LEO shoot free" nonsense.

Women shoot free.
Anyone under 21 shoots free.
Active duty military (including reservists, Nat Guard, Coast Guard) shoot for free. (IE; retired don't shoot for free)
Elected officials shoot for free.
Rev War reenactors (in uniform) shoot for free.

That's all there has ever been.

Period.

As I said earlier, I showed up to my first weekend thinking I knew a thing or 2. I quickly realized that I did not. After that weekend, I walked away learning where my down falls were, what I needed to do to fix them, and learning more about April 19th then I ever learned in school. So at 26, it was worth the time investment to me, so much so that I volunteer my time now to work these shoots, and bring my parents in as participants. I had my mother on the line back in April, and I am trying to get my father to go.

As was discussed at loooooong length in an other thread, Appleseed also opened me up to interest in rifle competitions. Now I harbor no thoughts that I will build a service rifle and walk up to the line and win, but I think I have a good base to start building further skills.

I hope that answers your question.

Please read this in the most inquisitive and neutral tone the internet can project:

Well... since you don't seem to want to take our words for it, I'm going to let some possibly recognizable gun authors say it in their words.

Here's one article by a gun author on his experience at an Appleseed Shoot.

Here's another (from SWAT magazine).

And another (from Dillon's Blue Press).

See if these answer your questions.

Timber, we come across a lot of folks with the misconception that shooting a 1" square at 25m is an easy thing to do or does not lend itself to a sense of accomplishment. It may be easy or instinctual for you, but for the vast majority of folks, it is not. It is a challenge.

My recommendation would be to come to an Appleseed and find out for yourself. If you or your son make Rifleman, congrats! We'd probably also ask you to come help us out.

It's inexpensive and would not be a "waste of time" - at the very least, if you get nothing out of the program, you'd be putting lead down range! How is that ever a waste of time?

I'll go back to the OP and answer from the perspective of a first timer (last weekend, Pelham). I went to learn how to shoot a rifle effectively. I did, and learned some history in the bargain. Some group instruction, some individual pointers, and a lot of rounds downrange to try to improve. I didn't make Rifleman but came closer than I thought possible in one weekend going in. I'll do it again.

Last edited:
Not sure that this thread needs any more input, but I found no politics other than an encouragement to exercise the rights which were fought so hard for by the folks in April 1775 and since.

I went in with an open mind, but then again that was easy for me since I hadn't shot a real rifle in 20+ years. Lots of fundamental instruction, definitely well worth the time for new and experienced shooters alike. I think I heard at the end of the line in Leyden that the experienced shooters had some of their own techniques they preferred to the ones being instructed. But these guys were experienced enough to take the instruction and use it to refine what they knew. If for nothing else I think everyone had a ton of fun, and if you are interested in shooting targets why not spend some time having fun punching holes in paper instead of <<insert activity here>>. Well worth it, in fact my son and his friend are going to the next local Appleseed and we are already signed up for the one after that... and then my nephews and their parents will be coming in the Fall. Sowing the apple seeds...

p.s. Nothing at all cultish about this. In fact I went in expecting this to be very "tea-party" related, and perhaps it was not because it was Massachusetts after all, but there were no politics at all. For that I am very glad as my personal politics are nobody's business and theirs aren't mine. And this didn't seem to be about fighting for anything other than getting people to wake up and realize it is possible that you can take your current situation for granted and that someday we all may need to be ready for our own personal Concord Bridge showdown - democrat, republican, tea-party, anarchist, libertarian, etc.

<snip> if you are interested in shooting targets why not spend some time having fun punching holes in paper instead of <<insert activity here>>. Well worth it, in fact my son and his friend are going to the next local Appleseed and we are already signed up for the one after that... and then my nephews and their parents will be coming in the Fall. Sowing the apple seeds...
<snip>
this didn't seem to be about fighting for anything other than getting people to wake up and realize it is possible that you can take your current situation for granted and that someday we all may need to be ready for our own personal Concord Bridge showdown - democrat, republican, tea-party, anarchist, libertarian, etc.

+ reps inbound.

THIS is what Appleseed is all about, getting people up off the couch, onto the range and waking people up. When speaking in person with attendees after events I swear there are times when I can see the light buld turn on over their heads as they finally "Get it.".

One other thing:
Appleseed is not the be-all and end-all of training/instruction but rather an excellent platform for jumping off into more advanced competitions and training.

Appleseed is not the be-all and end-all of training/instruction but rather an excellent platform for jumping off into more advanced competitions and training.
I am glad that you see it that way.

But from what I have seen from appleseeders in my state, they do not. I posted an open offer on the Ohio appleseed sub forum to any appleseeder that cares to improve his or her marksmanship on real distances to come shoot one of the many formal and informal matches at distances ranging from 200 to 600 yards at Miami Rifle & Pistol Club, one of the two privately-owned, open to the public ranges with pits and multiple firing lines. The response has been positively underwhelming.

Methinks they like being big fish in little ponds.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=13550.25

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what about learning to shoot 500m targets and learning about YOUR heritage is not to love.
1) There is NFW that going to a 25 yard Appleseed teaches you to hit something at 500 meters. There is a LOT more to it that CANNOT be taught at reduced distances. The effects of the wind are not to be underestimated. Rimfire shooting at 100 to 150 yards is a close approximation, but even then such training needs to be backed up with the real thing.

2) All the history lessons are available to anyone who can read and can do a modicum of basic research.

Jose, you have stated your position repeatedly. Please drop it until you actually ATTEND an Appleseed Shoot and know what you're talking about.

You will find, once you deign to attend, that we're not so much into hitting the bullseye as hitting a 4 MOA target. We let you highpower guys try to shoot the balls off of a gnat at 500 yards - we're trying to get folks to the level of hitting a man-sized target at that range.

And, of course, teaching some history and getting people to be aware of their heritage. You may know it all. You may even have read some of the recent works on the American Revolution (Fisher's book is EXCELLENT, and the source of much of our materiel), but I'll guarantee you that 95% or more of your fellow Americans have NOT. And they NEED to hear this, in as dynamic a way as we can present it.

THAT's what we're doing.

Feel free to come to a shoot and see it. Hell, shoot it. You want, I'll even cover your admission fee - it would be worthwhile to get a shooter of your caliber as an Instructor. Let me know - PM me with your address and I'll have something in the mail to you within 48 hours.

Your move.

Last edited:
I'll be very clear. I have no intention of attending an Appleseed. I can hit a 4 MOA target on command at any distance you care to name. I have done it far too many times to count and don't need to be taught how.

I also understand many of the hows and whys of how we got here and what needs to be done. Don't need to be told that.

I am most definitely not going to join to be an instructor of any kind. Especially not after reading up on the appleseedinfo.org forum what all one has to do to be a "red hat".

Not interested.

My only desire was to gauge the level of interest about shooting at real distances and letting appleseeders compare theory to practice. As you can see from the underwhelming response to "proneshooter" (me) on the Ohio sub-forum, the interest is obviously not there. With that said, I promise to hold my tongue since I have seen what I needed to see.

I'll be very clear. I have no intention of attending an Appleseed. I can hit a 4 MOA target on command at any distance you care to name. I have done it far too many times to count and don't need to be taught how.

I also understand many of the hows and whys of how we got here and what needs to be done. Don't need to be told that.

I am most definitely not going to join to be an instructor of any kind. Especially not after reading up on the appleseedinfo.org forum what all one has to do to be a "red hat".

Not interested.

My only desire was to gauge the level of interest about shooting at real distances and letting appleseeders compare theory to practice. As you can see from the underwhelming response to "proneshooter" (me) on the Ohio sub-forum, the interest is obviously not there. With that said, I promise to hold my tongue since I have seen what I needed to see.

I dont side with/agree with you often, but I do when it comes to Appleseed. Solely the view I see of it from the outside makes me not interested in pursuing it further. I dont need a patch to show me my accomplishments, and I certainly do not need "my heritage" taught to me by someone I have no relation with and don;t know where their bias lies.

And you'd be most welcome. Hell, I'd not shoot and coach you myself.

I don't expect to be heading to Ohio in the immediate future, but I sent Jasper a pm in the meantime.

Jose, I'm sorry you were put off by Appleseed, but I'll settle for knowing that you're out there, passing on your knowledge, however you go about it.

Wow, such negativity. I never realized that doing something to teach people to shoot, mostly getting new shooters into rifle shooting, could be criticized. I'm amazed.

I'm still on the fence, but will extend the same offer, anyone wanting to shoot longer distance and get additional training is welcome to join me, I have enough rifle choices for any long range discipline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom