Why are we still here?

Yeah, I know those places, except for Wasik's - where's that?
Also called "The Cheese Shop" in downtown Wellesley. 61 Central Street
And any place with the name, "Karl's Sausage Kitchen" is someplace that I want to try. You're going to have to tell me where that one is located.
142 Broadway in Saugus -- northbound side of Route 1. They make all their own sausage on site. Three different kinds of Bratwurst. Knockwurst. Andouille. Italian sausage. Liverwurst. The smoke their own bacon. I walk in there and I feel like died and went to Sheboygan [grin]

HOLY CRAP!! I'm going to have to search this place out. If I can find good Andouille I'll be so happy. My Red Beans and Rice just isn't the same with Chorizo.

And I have a buddy that lives in Sheboygan, I'm going to have to tell him about this place. I've been ordering sausage from places out by him...it would be nice to get it locally...and save shipping. LOL!

Red beans and rice? Hmmm, never made that. A quick search of the cookbooks chez M1911 did turn up three recipes. That sounds like a productive use of the weekend -- maybe time for a pilgrimage to Karl's Sausage Kitchen.

Yea, I have a red beans and rice recipe that's been in the family for some time.

It takes two days to make...but it's GOOD!

1 pound dried red beans
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup chopped tasso
2 chopped yellow onions
2 chopped Red onions
about 5 stems chopped celery
3 chopped green bell peppers
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 teaspoons Creole seasoning blend
Worcestershire sauce
3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
1 pound andouille, split in half lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 pound smoked ham hocks or salt pork.
1 head chopped garlic
2 large cans of chicken stock, or water
You're fav Hot Sauce
Rice

Soak the beans in one can of stock over night.

In a large pot, put in the onion, green pepper, celery, Worcestershire, creole seasoning, oil, and garlic and saute until it's looks clear.

Add in the other can of stock and then some water, until it's covered about 2 inches. Add in the bay leaves, cayenne, and a couple of drops of the Hot Sauce and Boil for about 40 min and stir here and there to keep everything from sticking to the pot.

After boil, turn down to med low and add in ham, sausage and cook for however long it takes to reduce by a bit more than half and everything is really creamy. I usually cook it about 6-8 hours. If it's getting too dry, but not really creamy yet, then add about a 1/4 cup water or so until it's wet again. Do this until it's a really good creamy consistancy. You really won't see the veggies anymore once you get to this point, they will pretty much boil and dissolve. But leave a big creamy tasty mess.

Cook Rice per package instructions and then put some on a plate and cover with the Red beans.

Here I will usually add a little more the Hot Sauce on top.

Geeze I check back on the "Why are we still here" thread and it's the damn Martha Stewart thread.

I'd be hard pressed to move from an area like Cape Cod regardless of who was in office. I had the good fortune to spend a weekend down south when my wife entered a dog show and I loved the area. Just couldn't stand to move again.

Last edited:
its about values

I agree with those who have deep roots, or moving family away from family
but out of the 50 states we really are a stick in the mud. "Oh you live in Mass"

I don't know who will be the next governor, or atty general, at least not
yet i'll wait till the votes are in. But if Deval Partick and the Reily Robot are
elected, we're in for a whole lot of trouble. Being a gun owner is only one
of them.

Its become to "pro illegal immigrant" for one thing, they are in public housing
"excuse me" tax money built it and they are living there.

In summary, the values here are too twisted, and its too liberal here,

I'm not moving tomorrow, but it is in the planning stages.

JimB

Back
Top Bottom