• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Why are Lugers obsolete ?

there is more positive comes from a slide than negative. how often do you hear people being injured by a 'fast moving' slide?

On a 1911, pretty much never. On a glock, well, that's another matter. How many glock newbies have been 'bit' by the slide?

IME, the 1911 is NOT a complicated design. Well, unless you plan to completely strip it down to a bare frame and slide. How often do you do that though? There are far more complicated pistols out there, than a 1911.

Personally, I have zero desire to own a luger. Just as I have no desire to own a 9mm pistol.

Hear is my dyf 42 and my 1915 DWM with snail drum magazine.All the leather is reproduction.

Boy would I like to get that set in some natural light in front of my Fuji. Thank you for the image.

b0d659e5.jpg

Your worried about breaking the bank, with all the nice toys you have.You must be a pro at breaking the bank. LOL

Rhymes with Luger...

r1.jpg

(Poor man's Luger)

I got one of those [in .22LR] too... Not as good of condition though. Heavy patina on it. Believe I even have two mag's for it... Don't know if I'll ever shoot it again though. Have plenty of other things more deserving IMO.

cz vz82 is NOT a complicated gun. FCG there is a bit on the finer side but it's just slightly more complex than soviet PM.

Take a look at these two diagrams (1st is CZ82, 2nd is Makarov for those who don't recognize them), and reevaluate your statement. I've taken both designs down to the last pin and spring, and the CZ82 is much more complex than the Makarov, or the 1911 for that matter.

cz-82-exploded.gif

makarov_exploded.jpg

The Luger is a piece of history, and very ahead of it's time when it was first developed. Those two factors, and the fact that they're getting rarer by the minute, are why they're so collectible. Mine functions just fine for the most part but I did have to replace the ejector and extractor when I got it. I also took that gun down and the hardest part was dealing with the recoil spring and lever. That can be a bitch without the right tools. I don't shoot mine very often out of concern that something will break and be difficult to find.

Last edited:
If the P08 is so out dated why the demand?

Because it is a collector's item with a lot of historical meaning for many.

A 1955 Mercedes 300SL gullwing is in great demand and will cost a great deal of money. That doesn't change the fact that a $22,000 VW GTI is a "better" car -- faster, quieter, better handling, more reliable, etc.

Because it is a collector's item with a lot of historical meaning for many.

A 1955 Mercedes 300SL gullwing is in great demand and will cost a great deal of money. That doesn't change the fact that a $22,000 VW GTI is a "better" car -- faster, quieter, better handling, more reliable, etc.

Really? I thought it was because they are ubercool. lol

ca7fcafa.jpg

...MJ...

Taxi !

DSCF3755_zpsb3b85158.jpg

I visited a museum in Cork, Ireland a few years back and in the antique weapons section I see this WWI Luger, supposedly having belonged to none other than Michael Collins. You can't tell by the pic but there was surface rust starting to collect on it. I freaked out and told the girl I was with that I need to go find the curator to let them know they need to oil that pistol down. She said something to the effect of: "No one here cares enough about any gun to do that."

[crying]

Irelandfall2010006.jpg

Expensive to make, lots of parts, not a terribly robust design, the loading a fresh mag/chambering first round process is a little weird if you're not used to it, prone to doubling with wear, squishy trigger spring, gets fouled relatively easy.

You forgot "Requires precision machining that costs $$"

Back
Top Bottom