Why are Class III (full auto) firearms so damn expensive?

I was flipping through a NH gun shop's website this morning, and came across the Class III page. Of course, a poor Mass sucker like myself can dream, so I start browsing their inventory and prices. Of course, nearly every Class III firearm there is priced between $15k-$20k. And it gets me thinking. Why are Class III firearms so damn expensive?

I can't imagine there is some part or process which makes a select fire weapon more expensive to manufacture than a semi auto (and certainly not 20x the cost). Is it a matter of supply and demand? I can't imagine there's a huge demand for them. What is the supply (source) of Class III firearms on the civilian market?

Not a vital topic, just something I'm curious about.

Supply and Demand. The supply is kept relatively small, and the demand by those who can purchase is very high. Plus, there is basically a monopoly by companies that can sell Class III firearms. Coupled with the fact that there is no price ceiling, the prices can get as high as whoever can sell them makes it. Of course, you can probably find better deals elsewhere.

After 1986 there ARE no more Class 3 firearms made... so with a finite supply, demand goes up. People ask those prices because other people will pay them.

After 1986 there ARE no more Class 3 firearms made... so with a finite supply, demand goes up. People ask those prices because other people will pay them.

This is slightly incorrect. There are indeed post-86
machineguns in civilian hands- the only way this happens,
however, is if one is an FFL holder paying SOT tax; and getting
CLEO signoffs on demo letters for the new guns in your inventory.
The obvious downside is, that you can only keep them as long as
you maintain FFL/SOT status. It's really only a useful wallhack if
you're in the industry and have LE connections.

I agree that the pricing of the pre-86 stuff is pretty stiff due to
supply/demand, but a -LOT- of the pricing is because people keep
paying insane amounts of money for MGs. Some guy sells one,
another guy buys it, marks it up 2 grand, and some rich guy comes
along and pays the asking price without haggling because he
has a boner over whatever it is that's being sold. [laugh]

The other problem is that eventually a lot of MGs fall into the hands
of hardcore collectors; eg, guys that have more money than
god that never sell machineguns; this causes the supply to shrink
in size over time, as a lot of machineguns stop "rolling over" in
terms of ownership. This makes the supply even more "non
renewable".

-Mike

It's really only a useful wallhack if you're in the industry and have LE connections.
The hierarchy of full auto registration types, in decresding order of utility to the citizen:

- "Transferable" - Federally legal for civilian ownership (with proper papers)

- "Pre May" dealer sample - Dealer sample, can be retained after you go out of business

- "Post May" dealer sample - Dealer sample, must be disposed of once you are no longer a
dealer

- Other - LEO, government, manufacturer inventory, etc.

Even the most pro-gun PD's in MA tend to roundfile the regular supply of letters they get from SOT holders looking for a "demo letter".

I had no idea. That certainly explains it, though. A 20+ year moratorium on the manufacture of any product will do batty things to the supply curve.

Not that the price affects me any. I could have more money than God too, but so long as I live in Watertown, I can't even carry concealed, let alone own a Class III. But my 15 minute commute downtown is awfully nice...

Sorry to correct here but the term Class 3 only applies to the dealer that has a SOT to deal in "Title II weapons"

SO to clarify the "NFA WEAPON" is a Title 2 weapon and the Class 3 part only applies or identifies the dealer that holds the SOT.

SOT = Special Occupational Taxpayer.

Back
Top Bottom