Who's serious?

Working on a food storage system and already have water filtration capability. Needless to say I am well armed and able to defend myself and my family. [wink] I am concerned with pharmaceuticals, though. Wife is type 1 diabetic and I am worried about keeping a good supply of limited-shelf life insulin. Are any other NESers in this situation? What about OTC drugs like tylenol and advil, what do you keep, how much, and how is it stored?

Chris

ChristosX said:
What about OTC drugs like Tylenol and Advil, what do you keep, how much, and how is it stored?

I guess that would depend on what exactly you take on a regular basis. I keep a couple of 500ct generic motrin, some sinus meds, allergy meds, antacid, anti diarrhea, and of course different vitamins and mineral supplements. Remember, if it gets REAL bad, your sustaining food may not equal square meals.

As for storage, in the research I have done (same with food) that the expiration dates are a VERY Conservative estimate based on average storage conditions. That means in the medicine cabinet in your bathroom, or in the food pantry. The colder, and dryer you store, the longer they will last. So for instance, if you were to store you food and other emergency supply's in your basement, you should be able to safely get an additional year over the listed expiration date for normal packaged foods and OTC type meds.

As for this in practice.... Well, I can say that I have eaten canned tuna that was 2 years past the expiration date, chili that was 1 year over, Cambels mushroom soup that was 2 years expired, and have taken Tylenol that was 4 years over the date. The Tylenol was because I didn't look on the bottle before I took it, but it seemed to work just fine and I suffered no ill effects. For the most part, all the food that I have eaten that was past due, was not intentional, but after the food was opened, and I looked at the can, I decided to try it anyway. All of it tasted just fine.

BTW, Raamen noodles are still the same after over 5 years of storage! [smile]

Most drugs last way past their date on bottle. Years past in most cases.

I guess my big question is.. how do you "fall Out" protect your home?

IS simply wrapping all the windows, doors and chimny in plastic going to do it?

What about the furnace vent... because if it is a winter attack, need heat, but can not block that vent.... that is assuming we still have gas... if not, Im back to the chimny.

And what about water... what kind of filter is adequet... I have a water R/O water filter... but if we lose water presure... that becomes usless.

Fall-out protection all depends on how strong the fall-out is. If NY City were hit, and we received fall-out from that, covering windows and doors in plastic, and getting into your basement may be all that is needed. However if Boston took a direct hit from a substantial device, it may be necessary to plastic all home openings, find the part in your basement that's the deepest underground, and covering all exposed foundation walls on the outside with dirt. Blocking up basement windows with earth.... Knowing where your largest threat exists. And Knowing how strong the radiation is at it's peak (roentgens/hr) will determine how much protection, and for how long you will have to stay protected.

As for water, if it comes to the point that you have to stay sheltered to survive, and utilities are off, whatever you have stored is all you are gonna have.

f Boston took a direct hit from a substantial device, it may be necessary to plastic all home openings, find the part in your basement that's the deepest underground, and covering all exposed foundation walls on the outside with dirt. Blocking up basement windows with earth.... Knowing where your largest threat exists.

And of course this will all be done AFTER the Bomb goes off !

This is exactly where my 2 bullet aresenal comes in handy.

Most drugs last way past their date on bottle. Years past in most cases.

I guess my big question is.. how do you "fall Out" protect your home?

IS simply wrapping all the windows, doors and chimny in plastic going to do it?

What about the furnace vent... because if it is a winter attack, need heat, but can not block that vent.... that is assuming we still have gas... if not, Im back to the chimny.

And what about water... what kind of filter is adequet... I have a water R/O water filter... but if we lose water presure... that becomes usless.

There are actually pills you an buy that block radiation from being absorbed into your body. I forget where I saw these, had to be something like US Cavalry, but it seemed like a decent supply.

Found these: http://www.approvedgasmasks.com/potassium-iodide.htm
http://www.nukepills.com/ <--That last title cracks me up.

Drugs are typically issued with a fixed exipration date (Rx drugs seem to be one year), regardless (or is it irregardless?) of how long they will really last. An MD shooter once told me that the ones to worry about "really" expiring are the antibiotics.

Drugs are typically issued with a fixed exipration date (Rx drugs seem to be one year), regardless (or is it irregardless?) of how long they will really last. An MD shooter once told me that the ones to worry about "really" expiring are the antibiotics.

As Scrivener would point out, there is no such word as "irregardless".

I'm not as worried about OTC stuff like Tylenol, Advil, Immodium, and sinus/cold meds. I'm really worried about my wife's insulin. If we ever had a problem and meds became difficult to get, I'm not sure what I would do. It could be as simple as a Katrina level major storm or natural disaster where services break down for a few weeks. Insulin has a limited refrigerated shelf life, so stockpiling won't work. I'm afraid.

Chris

I do believe that we have a pharmacist here on the forum.... Oh Daaaaaave please bring us your wisdom.

From that map, I just may be okay-outside drifting fallout. Bugging in may be my best option in this case. Not fully stocked, but fully prepared

Let me be clear again.
That map ONLY shows the blast pressure of attacks in various locations. Any nuclear attack in MA would result in fall-out for the entire state.

I've been working on a good setup for some time. Piece by piece and in clumps depending on cash flow. Currently we have:

His/Her BOB in the house. Each with basic 3 day needs.
BOB in each car. Each with basic gear and 3 day needs
2 weeks of MREs and emergency water
2 weeks of water
Working on LTS food.
Minimal weapons and ammo. I'm working on more. [thinking]

As for Bugging out? Where are we going to go? My family is in Ohio and I can get to Albany with a tank of gas in my SUV. Farther, I suppose if I drain the gas from my wife's car. But not to Columbus.

Some friends in Wales, MA... but west bound traffic would be a nightmare.
Some friends in NH, but the same above applies.

Anything nuclear in Boston will toast our town as well. I'd love to find a defensivle location, but not around here. No armory, or any real structure that is easy to defend.

So, I guess we stay. Hold off the zombies and gangs until they overrun us. [rolleyes]

Some friends in Wales, MA... but west bound traffic would be a nightmare. Some friends in NH, but the same above applies.
[rolleyes]

Oh man, I haven't been to Wales, MA in years. But I used to spend a LOT of time there when I was younger. Hell, that is a prime bug out area. Lots of woods, very minimal population, no direct highway, all back roads, couple good lakes for fishing and water. etc. Hell, for a while there they didn't even have a police force. Same with their neighbor Holland. They would have to call the Staties. Hummmmm, I think I just identified MY new bug out area. [thinking]

Anything nuclear in Boston will toast our town as well. I'd love to find a defensivle location, but not around here. No armory, or any real structure that is easy to defend. [rolleyes]

I'm right next door to you. I believe that there's still a fallout shelter at the old armory/arsenal complex. You just have to fight through the mall crowd to get at it.

How much stuff do you need? Mad Max got by OK with some leather pants, an eye patch, and a Hemi.

I don't have anything stockpiled, just lots of guns and ammo. I do have a neighbor that's a fanatic about this stuff and has everything you'd ever need stockpiled and ready to go. However, he doesn't "believe" in guns.

So, yeah, I guess I'm all set. [devil]

How much stuff do you need? Mad Max got by OK with some leather pants, an eye patch, and a Hemi.

I don't have anything stockpiled, just lots of guns and ammo. I do have a neighbor that's a fanatic about this stuff and has everything you'd ever need stockpiled and ready to go. However, he doesn't "believe" in guns.

So, yeah, I guess I'm all set. [devil]

If you know about his stockpile, I'm sure lots of others do as well. They probably also know about his lack of firearms. His house will be overrun shortly after a disaster. It may not hurt to get some supplies of your own. A couple cases or MREs and some bottled water will cost you around $100. Money well spent for piece of mind. Then again, you may, in casual conversaton, make an agreement with your neighbor. If the world ends, he moves his stockpile away from his known location to your house and you all defend your house together. Sooo, where do you live again? [smile]

I'm right next door to you. I believe that there's still a fallout shelter at the old armory/arsenal complex. You just have to fight through the mall crowd to get at it.

I know that complex pretty well, but not a fallout shelter location. Any clues? Still, a fallout shelter and a defendable place aren't necessarily the same. Different points of view. ;)

RJ

When I think of people trying to bug out, I get visions of predators just waiting by the side of the road to pop them off and take whatever they have. In all reality the road system will probably not be usable. If it's a nuke, forget it, your car probably won't start. On foot you are going to walk into ambushes and other's security perimeters, ugly thoughts.

Then again, I live in Arlington. I doubt I'll even know If something went nuclear. At best I might have a few minutes to make peace with my maker and bend over to kiss my ass goodbye.

When I think of people trying to bug out, I get visions of predators just waiting by the side of the road to pop them off and take whatever they have. In all reality the road system will probably not be usable. If it's a nuke, forget it, your car probably won't start. On foot you are going to walk into ambushes and other's security perimeters, ugly thoughts.

Then again, I live in Arlington. I doubt I'll even know If something went nuclear. At best I might have a few minutes to make peace with my maker and bend over to kiss my ass goodbye.

Screw that! Radiation sickness or wading through floating piles of corpses.. I plan on sticking it out and kicking some ass before I go. If I'm to be a thermonuclear warrior (no NY hardcore Carnivore pun intended), I say he who dies with the most notches in his AK buttstock wins. [devil2]

Bugging out doesn't necessarily mean an ICBM war with Russia or China. A hurricane , a single nuke in a shipping container , Duval Patrick victory , Plague , A several day power outage in February. All reasons one might well want to get out of Dodge in a big hurry.

There's a volcano in Africa poised to blow and set off a tsunami that'll "katrina" the whole East Coast with about 6 hours warning - provided we're awake.

All I know is I actually have done a lot to be prepared for general emergency preparedness. I know how to gather my family in a hurry , and have tools for information , clean water , 1st aid , 4wd transportation, winter and summer camping gear , an AR15 , 12 gauge and a 45.

And a cabin in Maine.

I looked up nuclear yields after reading through this thread. A 10 Kiloton nuke in a shipping container wont go much farther than the harbor. Fallout depends on the wind - and there is a big damn hunk of rock between my home and Boston.

I fear the sheeple's panic more than a large bomb in Boston.

We are mostly ready for most any natural or un-natural (WMD) scenario within the limits of practicality.

The good:

My wife and I always travel with two person three day packs in our vehicles that include spare ammo and seasonal hiking clothes. Cheap spare SGs too. Covert or overt as dictates, ready to make it home or alt. meeting place. My EDC includes the usual and because of proximity to nuke plants, rate and dose meter with alarm.

Because of the limited roadway access in the NE, we are planning to bug-in at home with BOBs prefilled if we need or can evacuate as the situation warrants. We are fortunate to have a well, and can heat the house with wood, a generator with plenty of fuel if its a short stay. We have told no one of our stockpile and defense capabilities. Important records and small denominations well hidden at home. We would expect to be a target eventually if we are the lone bug-in's in the neighborhood.

The bad:

Not enough food yet for more than two months, though working on it. No strong/fallout shelter built yet in the basement, though we will building our "pantry" before the end of 2007. Could always use more ammunition and more barterable items.

If society breaks down you'll be on your own for quite some time.

First thing I'm doing if civilization goes into the shitter...is walking outside and TAKING OUT THE FAT, JUICY SQUIRRELS THAT RUN AROUND MY HOUSE! AT LAST THEY WILL ALL BE MINE!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMM...DELICIOUS!!! EAT EM' UP!!!!!!! [grin] [smile] [laugh]

Is this thread dead ? I'm Serious. I'm wondering where people might bug out to. I can't move west of the Mississippi like J.W.R. says to do. I have to at least work in Mass. I'm hoping to get something set up north for the family. Stay in Mass during the week with my parents and go home on the weekend. I was partial to Coös County but now they're building a big Federal penitentiary in Berlin. WTSHTF that prison would not be thing to be near. I need about five or six years I figure to get set, I hope we have that long.

This thread is not dead, just 4 years later. With the new administration, its not nukes to fear, but the collapse that is coming. When euro goes on their market and wall st bellys up and the banks are ordered shut, there's going to be alot of angry, hungry freaked out people with little if any way of controlling the angry masses. The B.O.B. is ready, but to leave and go where, to another place of angry pissed folks. It will be time to gather neighbors and work together to feed, secure and foster up some small way of life and to keep out the roaming gangs that will be hell bent on killing and stealing, and I'm in Norther CT in a nice suburban area. I can't take the pounds of silver with me to barter with, money will be worthless, I'll be shot dead for it. Same with other folks in my area that I know of.
We have 60 days of MRE's and the filters for water (24' pool), generators and fuel to run for 8 hrs a day for a month and of course ammo and guns. This is where night vision comes in because it will be at night the thugs will strike, I have ATN night arrows on 2 special weaps for this purpose plus if SHTF, there are traps that will be set to help secure the perimeter.
It will get ugly folks, lets hope we are all wrong, but I sense we are not.

This thread is not dead, just 4 years later. With the new administration, its not nukes to fear, but the collapse that is coming. When euro goes on their market and wall st bellys up and the banks are ordered shut, there's going to be alot of angry, hungry freaked out people with little if any way of controlling the angry masses. The B.O.B. is ready, but to leave and go where, to another place of angry pissed folks. It will be time to gather neighbors and work together to feed, secure and foster up some small way of life and to keep out the roaming gangs that will be hell bent on killing and stealing, and I'm in Norther CT in a nice suburban area. I can't take the pounds of silver with me to barter with, money will be worthless, I'll be shot dead for it. Same with other folks in my area that I know of.
We have 60 days of MRE's and the filters for water (24' pool), generators and fuel to run for 8 hrs a day for a month and of course ammo and guns. This is where night vision comes in because it will be at night the thugs will strike, I have ATN night arrows on 2 special weaps for this purpose plus if SHTF, there are traps that will be set to help secure the perimeter.
It will get ugly folks, lets hope we are all wrong, but I sense we are not.

Huh? [hmmm]

There are levels of preparedness, one can't plan for an all out collapse and nothing less than. You're at risk of being no different than being a y2k'r.

Practical preparedness should come in roughly (though not exactly, depending on your situation) an order similar to this:

1) Job loss: Debt freedom, savings
2) Local or Regional shtf event/Job Loss: Up to a month of food and water, storing things you use on a regular basis you can buy extra of when they are on sale that will get you by, and reduce your grocery bill if you lose income. If nothing happens saving money buy stocking up when stuff is on sale. If you don't use bottled water, start out with 1 gallon per person per day for 2 weeks. Basic power redundancy = propane or charcoal grill, mini fridge with a small solar or wind set up to feed it. Basic meds like aspirin/ibuprofen/antihistamine/benadryl/bandaids/bactine/first aid kit. 1 Month of TP (bought when on sale). You should have a simple garden at the least. At least 1 month of salt pepper and regularly used spices.
3) Should really be part of step 2 if you have the system, but if not: step 3. Alternative heat source being a wood stove or fireplace and at least a months worth of firewood.
4) Add longevity to your systems, extra firewood (6 mos), LTS foods (dehydrated butter, milk eggs, etc, canned meat, mountain house etc)

Assuming you have the fundamentals like candles, flashlights, and batteries, this should get you through 99% of shit. Start with preparing for the most basic disasters like job loss, and by the time you get to EMP you've done all you can.

Back
Top Bottom