• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who Stocks Match Grade 22LR?

Mountain

NES Member
Hey folks,

Looking for local stock of 22LR match grade within ~1hr radius of Worcester. Wolf Match Extra, RWS R100 or R50, Lapua Midas, Eley, etc. Anyone know where I might find this in stock? Many thanks.

fourseasons used to stock some decent choices on match 22lr. I have not been up there in a few years though. If you come down to pembroke CMP there is a shop not to far away that had a few bricks of assorted match ammo.... I have some "match" centerion from the cmp. It does well out of my 513T If you come down I can bring a few boxes. I dont have much left.

Last I was in Outback they had RWS100 and Eley. And Midway has repeatedly advertised Norma in the recent past, if you have a free state address to ship it to.

If you can't find any expensive match grade .22, CCI Standard Velocity will perform just as well as most of the high end stuff.

Good luck finding it though.

For true match grade .22, your best bet is one of the bigger companies that cater to competitive smallbore shooters. Not sure if any of them ship to MA though. (And please don't name them if they do.)

Thanks everyone-

Found some Federal Match at Cabelas. They had a reasonable stock and let me walk out with two whole boxes!!![shocked] Yes, two whole boxes of 50 rounds each!!! 100 rounds of 22LR will last me, well... never mind. At least the staff was friendly and helpful, but I don't think the hoarders will be lining up to pay for match grade. Yeah, Fed is not that high end and not in the same category as offerings from Eley, Lapua, RWS, etc. but maybe some bean counter will consider that the transaction cost vs. the sale for only 2 boxes of 22LR is a bust.

I did have a happy ending for my search, however. I stopped by B&K and enjoyed meeting Brian. Scored a brick of RWS R50, which is about as good as it gets. Not only is that some of the best 22LR match to be found, B&K's price was excellent compared to what one would pay online (assuming a free state ship-to). Heard about this from a very thoughtful PM, but thought I'd give props to a nice LGS.

Last edited:
If you can't find any expensive match grade .22, CCI Standard Velocity will perform just as well as most of the high end stuff.

Hey thanks, I may have some of that. If I do, I'll see how it patterns compared to the RWS.

Hey thanks, I may have some of that. If I do, I'll see how it patterns compared to the RWS.

How it patterns, funny. So what you pumping this ammo out of anyway. Only thing I have left remotely accurate is my 513T but I can no longer shoot it as well as it can.

How it patterns, funny. So what you pumping this ammo out of anyway. Only thing I have left remotely accurate is my 513T but I can no longer shoot it as well as it can.

Here's how it patterns [smile] :

10-22 target.jpg

.292" 5 shot group at 50 yards, custom 10/22 I built almost 20 years ago. I had some 10 shot one-hole groups but the hole was much bigger than this. It was pretty gusty- I had to wait to make sure the target stand would not be pushed back and forth by the wind. I peeled the sticker off the target and stuck it on my CMP case- so no, I did not shoot the case LOL.

edit- Actually that was the RWS, though the CCI was very similar.

I (or my 10/22) did not like the Federal Match. While I was initially cursing Cabelas for the stupid 2 box store policy, they actually did me a favor by preventing me from buying more of something I don't need.

Last edited:
I have not shot much 22lr in many years. The federal gold medal match was always pretty good.
I don't know if I could shoot as well as my only "accurate" 22 rifle can anymore.
My Jr coach could clean targets with my 513t I never really could then. Now forget it.
I found the golden eagle match ammo cmp sold a few years ago to be very good in all my rifles.
More recently the aquila extra extra is not to fare behind.....
I remember back then the really really good Jr's with the expensive rifles would send their rifles out to Ely and they would test different lots of ammo and send rifle back with 20-30k rounds of one lot #

Another big 'thank you' to NES for helping me find the right ammo to feed the ol' 10/22. Shot AOK today in our match. Scoped 22LR rifles were at 50 yards, on NRA A-17 targets which are normally used at 50 feet and have a 10-ring diameter of 0.15" [shocked]. One bull for sighting and 10 bulls for scoring, one shot each. Scored 96/100. No way I could have done this without finding good ammo.

Another big 'thank you' to NES for helping me find the right ammo to feed the ol' 10/22. Shot AOK today in our match. Scoped 22LR rifles were at 50 yards, on NRA A-17 targets which are normally used at 50 feet and have a 10-ring diameter of 0.15" [shocked]. One bull for sighting and 10 bulls for scoring, one shot each. Scored 96/100. No way I could have done this without finding good ammo.

Thats what we used for practice as a Jr. We would also play @ 100 yards with the SR1 I didn't mind that much as my front sight was a perfect size for the SR I and left a nice band of white all around the bull.
I'm going to do something with my ruger some day.

So what ammo did you end up getting. What scope you running on that 10/22?

CCI Standard velocity, Federal Match, and RWS R50. The R50 was best but CCI not bad. Shot the match with the R50.

Ended up getting a BSA Sweet 22. Has a side knob for parallax adjustment. My old Burris did not have enough magnification and the crosshairs were too thick. My old rings are still pretty cheesy but I don't exactly have much to complain about.

Volquartsen still makes what appears to be the same barrel as what I installed almost 20 years ago. Just the ticket for your 10/22.

My rugers always hated Federal match. cCI was rock solid, as was RWS, but actually not much better than stingers.

I think about 3/4 of the .22lr I shot in competition was stingers and not match (since I was on a shoestring and match cost a lot more locally.)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My rugers always hated Federal match. cCI was rock solid, as was RWS, but actually not much better than stingers.

I think about 3/4 of the .22lr I shot in competition was stingers and not match (since I was on a shoestring and match cost a lot more locally.)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I always liked Stingers, especially when they were first released. For general plinking and rabble rousing they made the old standard velocity rounds seem boring. There were some old junkyards in the California high desert where my boyhood shooting buddy, our dads, and I would go blast everything from old cans (many were full), old TV's, rats, etc. Stingers were much hotter and did more damage. Not that it's the right round for my target barrel, but they won't feed reliably in the Volquartsen barrel.

10-22.jpg Note that in the pic I have the old Burris scope.

I always liked Stingers, especially when they were first released. For general plinking and rabble rousing they made the old standard velocity rounds seem boring. There were some old junkyards in the California high desert where my boyhood shooting buddy, our dads, and I would go blast everything from old cans (many were full), old TV's, rats, etc. Stingers were much hotter and did more damage. Not that it's the right round for my target barrel, but they won't feed reliably in the Volquartsen barrel.

View attachment 138352 Note that in the pic I have the old Burris scope.

ahh the good old days...........my dad always seem to know someone at all the local dumps and we would go rat'n. miss the days of just finding a sandy pit and blasting.
heck you cant shoot much of anything at the range these days. I wish I had a portable gallery with auto resets and such that I could just tow down to the 100 yard line. http://www.sniktaw.com/FA-ShootingGalleries.html

Back
Top Bottom