Who can turn down a 10/22 barrel?

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
I'm working on a m1 carbine lookalike, and need to have the factory
barrel turned down a little on a lathe. Does anyone know of someone
in the metro boston area that can do this? And maybe put some kind of parkerization on the barrel to make it look more like a real m1 carbine?

Great Info!

I have the same project going myself, I take it you are using the Bayonet lug style band.

I've read that the diameters are so close that it is possible to drill out the rivets on the lug, bend the band open and then bolt it back together.

Turning it is the way to go thought.

I figured since this is a soup to nuts DIY project, I don't have a 10/22 I am working on going from zero to a 10/22 M1 Carbine clone I am going to give DIY Parkerizing a try. Home Brew Parkerizing and DIY Cheap Park Job using household items

To get a park finish like that of the WWII era. Adding a couple of nickels or pennies minted after 1981 (because they are mostly zinc apparently) to the Parkerizing soup gives it a lighter zinc finish.

I don't have a blast cabinet though. I may try it at home with some small parts or junk metal just to see how it goes.

Last edited:
DIY Parkerizing sounds cool, if you try it let me know how that goes. I was going to try to
find someone who could parkerizing some day.

Just a word of warning . You cant parkerize a 10/22 receiver because they are not steel but aluminum. You would be better off using Duracoat or some other type of finish . Good luck on the project i am also building a 10/22 - M1 Carbine . I decided to use a 10/22 stock though and carve it down to match a M1. It already has the perfect inlay for the 10/22 just have to carve it a bit and put in the barrel band strap and sling hole in back. It amazes me that Ruger didnt get sued for making a copy of the M1 carbine when he built the 10/22 they are that close. He definatly stole the plans from the M1.

It amazes me that Ruger didnt get sued for making a copy of the M1 carbine when he built the 10/22 they are that close. He definatly stole the plans from the M1.

Sued for what? The 10/22 was introduced in 1964. The M1 Carbine was introduced in 1942, 22 years previously. If there was any patent protection for the M1 Carbine, it would have expired.

Here's the final result, I ended up not needing to turn the barrel down, because what I did to make things fit was

1) Cut out the bottom inner loop of the barrel band with a dremel tool, and then squashed the whole thing with a vice grip to have a larger radius of curvature. It now
slips down on the barrel.

2) I had to sand out the inside of the handguard a little to get it to sit flat on the barrel.

IMG_4216.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

I have to do one more pass of filling in the trigger area with some more JB Weld, to fill in some of the empty spots, but it's basically done.

Oh, and I found this plastic part that is made to stick two 10 round magazine together, so I get what is effectively a 20 round magazine, which hangs down to look more like the m1 carbine mag.

Very nice. Would like to see some close ups of what you are talking about with the vice gripped area, and the JB Welded area.

Back
Top Bottom