• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Replacing BRNO Mauser Barrel

Broc

NES Member
So ...

I have a nice 458 Win Mag built on a BRNO action. I measure the action today, it is a large ring.

Anyway, whoever built this thing must have been smoking something good, but put some good effort into it. The dude put a 1.5" barrel with a machined break down to 0.989. The word was done right and it probably wasn't cheap.

The rifle has a beautiful stock that was fitted to this absurd barrel.

The gun weights 13.6lbs without scope or bolt and measures 50" including stock.

I am looking at replacing the barrel with a thinner, lighter barrel.

But, I am having a hard time figuring out if a threaded Barrel will fit.

I am guessing the best option is to buy a blank Barrel and have someone thread it to match the receiver. I have never done this, so I am a noob.

What does NES think?

Last edited:
After buying the barrel, are you going to install it yourself? Or have a smith do the job? Any decent smith will have a lathe. More importantly any decent smith will know what the thread pitch is and recommend the barrel to use, pre threaded.
If you are going to wrench it yourself, take off the existing barrel now and measure it. It does not sound like you are going to be shooting the 458 anyway.
Now that i think about it, the previous smith may have recut the receiver to match the barrel as some of the Mausers have obsolete metric dimensions. It would behoove you to remove the existing barrel and measure.
IMHO.
IANAGS

Did the older gent at Gartman Arms (foxboro?wrentham?) pass away? This would've been right up his alley.
Speaking of Gartman.. Is Tim still working out of there? I called him for something a few years ago and he was pretty much saying he wasn't taking any new jobs for years he was so backed up. And then it seemed like the store was always having trouble keeping hours..

After buying the barrel, are you going to install it yourself? Or have a smith do the job? Any decent smith will have a lathe. More importantly any decent smith will know what the thread pitch is and recommend the barrel to use, pre threaded.
If you are going to wrench it yourself, take off the existing barrel now and measure it. It does not sound like you are going to be shooting the 458 anyway.
Now that i think about it, the previous smith may have recut the receiver to match the barrel as some of the Mausers have obsolete metric dimensions. It would behoove you to remove the existing barrel and measure.
IMHO.
IANAGS
I would take it somewhere, but I was thinking of ordering the barrel. I guess taking to somewhere and letting the person tell me what barrel is needed would be best.

I have shot it, it shoots great, SUB MOA great. And it barely gets hot after 10 shots.

Maybe I will keep it the way it is and buy a second rifle. Good excuse for one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom