• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Free State would you move to?

Left MA for FL, only lasted 3 years, came back home to NH. FL was not as good as I expected. Too much crime, too much summer. You'd be surprised how much you can miss snow when you don't see it for years and years. Met some really good folks in FL (and some real as*holes), but on the whole, we are a heck of a lot happier in NH, the 6 feet of snow so far notwithstanding.

If you don't have enough snow yet, let me know and I'll mail you some! [laugh]

I'm getting tired of it down here. [wink]

Fair warning, gun laws excepted, VT is worse than MA. Nice place place to visit, otherwise it is moonbat hell and getting worse. The last VT gov was a rino but occasionally stopped the super stupid, the new guy is full stupid ahead.
For me some of the Mid-Atlantic states look good. TX is promising in a lot of ways but the heat and the air quality are drawbacks. Utah and NV have redeeming features. I prefer suburban living near a city, not too far from the mountains. Salt Lake City seems ideal but I've only spent a couple of days out there.

There are about 45 good options..so it mostly depends on finding a decent job. NH, TX, AZ, NC are all possibilities. Anywhere but MA; unfortunately, that's where I see most of the jobs now.

I thought about it a few times and if it wasn't NH, it would be AZ or TX. I would want to be somewhere close to water since i enjoy boating as well. I live on the north shore so I am less than 10 minutes from the ocean right now. When i buy a house it will be on the northshore, if not i'll go right up to NH. Anything inland is a waste and NH is just a few minutes away.

Can't go wrong there. I've got land in Wilcox, and was born in Phoenix. Unfortunately, the wife didn't want to move that far from her family, or I'd be there now. She was also a little hinky about ICE being all over the place, all the time, the last time she was there. Never the less, the majority of folks there (including the Governor) still believe in the constitution and the law. Gun rights are great, scenery beautiful, cheap real estate (for the most part). I don't see any negatives... Good Luck!

PS Check this out:

http://www.cityofwillcox.org/

Thanks for the info. One of my stops was going to be in Sierra Vista so I'll check out Willcox while I'm out that way.I might have to make a few trips because I want to cover a lot of different areas to really get a feel for them.I hope to buy a house while their market is down now, at least then if I can't move out there for a while I'll have a place to escape to.I'm lucky because my g/f is just as sick of things as I am so I don't think it'll take a lot of convincing to get her to move too.The more snow and sub zero weather helps too. [laugh]

I thought about it a few times and if it wasn't NH, it would be AZ or TX. I would want to be somewhere close to water since i enjoy boating as well. I live on the north shore so I am less than 10 minutes from the ocean right now. When i buy a house it will be on the northshore, if not i'll go right up to NH. Anything inland is a waste and NH is just a few minutes away.

Im with ya, its got to be a coastal state, I hate driving very far when im in the mood for some saltwater fishing. Almost definately going to be a southeastern state, FL is the number 1 choice but depends on where the work is.

Whoah whoah whoah, CA better than MA? hardly, IMHO!

Yeah? How long have you lived there and where?

I've lived in north and south CA, along with NV and AZ - along with my current "sentence" here in MA. NV is great, hands down, especially for my current job. Sadly, not a good place for work for my fiancee`, CA is. Aside from having to apply for a CCW, my family has not had any problems with our guns, our use of them, or had to have many concerns regarding open carry on the western side of the state. There are enclaves of idiocy, but those are easy to avoid, or a lot more fun to wear your 2a opinion on your sleeve, so to speak.

Also, unless things change, or have changed since being here, I'm not going to have to don my sunday duds and say, "yessuh" to be granted the priviledge to exercise a constitutional right. Also, since I don't buy new guns, I've never had to deal with the 10 day wait.

Oh, and not only can I use a rifle to hunt, but no one gives a shit when I wear a hand gun for fishing.

Yeah? How long have you lived there and where?

I've lived in north and south CA, along with NV and AZ - along with my current "sentence" here in MA. NV is great, hands down, especially for my current job. Sadly, not a good place for work for my fiancee`, CA is. Aside from having to apply for a CCW, my family has not had any problems with our guns, our use of them, or had to have many concerns regarding open carry on the western side of the state. There are enclaves of idiocy, but those are easy to avoid, or a lot more fun to wear your 2a opinion on your sleeve, so to speak.

Also, unless things change, or have changed since being here, I'm not going to have to don my sunday duds and say, "yessuh" to be granted the priviledge to exercise a constitutional right. Also, since I don't buy new guns, I've never had to deal with the 10 day wait.

Oh, and not only can I use a rifle to hunt, but no one gives a shit when I wear a hand gun for fishing.

so you can get a CWW in the parts of California that are the least desirable. Sweet, I think [wink]

I am between ME and FL based on my wife's family and their vacation homes(they will retire to one eventually, and she wants to be close to them) Not going to lie, I am pulling for Florida a bit more than Maine, but I could do either easily.

Born on Long Island, and spent about 10 years in FL. FL was ok while I was in my teens and twenties, but as I got older, and the place changed, I began to hate it. Currently living in western Colorado now - and it's pretty close to perfection. Just one problem. We miss our family, and with a kid on the way, we feel that it's important for our kid to grow up knowing his cousins, aunts/uncles and grandparents. Seeing my folks 1-2x per year is rough, and I don't want any regrets later in life.

Hopefully I can handle the winter in New Hampshire, and hopefully my wife gets this job she applied for. We'll see.

arizona probably, somewhere in northern arizona though...it gets damn hot in the lower lying areas. and i'd still like a bit of a winter.

Agreed. I lived in Yuma for a few years. Nice in the winter, but too damn hot the rest of the year. I visited Prescott a few times. I could get used to that.

so you can get a CWW in the parts of California that are the least desirable. Sweet, I think [wink]

I can also tell you are not familiar with California. The state does suck, but not for the reasons you mention.

My family and I picked New Hampshire (came from California).

Our guide for choosing a state to move to was in part driven by this:

http://mercatus.org/sites/default/files/publication/Freedom_in_the_50_States.pdf

New Hampshire, Virginia, Missouri were all high on our list. Missouri because it is near my folks, but no work. Virginia had work and friends nearby but no family (would have went there if I didn't get an offer from NH employer). New Hampshire met all our requirements.

Last edited:
OK it has been brought to my attn AK has it's issues, since I already live in a fee state I'll stay but TN MT AZ all sound like doable places as well

Sorry to break this to the OP but there is no such thing as a free state.

When we are numbered at birth by Social security backed hospital staff intimidation and its said that we have to fill out these forms in order to get our offspring out of the hospitals clutches there is no such thing as a free state.

If (I hate to use this word) people would stop kowtowing to the powers that be and say NO I’m not going to get my son or daughter the number of the beast and the Birth Certificate then we could see freedom come back to this country, but when people are greedy to sign their kids up because they get a tax exemption and don’t care about their kids being in bondage for the rest of their lives then this country has no freedom any longer and there will be no free state as we wont force it upon those that work for us.

I can also tell you are not familiar with California. The state does suck, but not for the reasons you mention.

My family and I picked New Hampshire (came from California).

Our guide for choosing a state to move to was in part driven by this:

http://mercatus.org/sites/default/files/publication/Freedom_in_the_50_States.pdf

New Hampshire, Virginia, Missouri were all high on our list. Missouri because it is near my folks, but no work. Virginia had work and friends nearby but no family (would have went there if I didn't get an offer from NH employer). New Hampshire had work and an aunt and uncle nearby.

I acutally have been to California plenty in my lifetime. Honestly, it was far more than I ever wanted. At the end of the day, the gun climate in CA is no better than MA. The fact that one calls CA a free state is funny as hell.

I acutally have been to California plenty in my lifetime. Honestly, it was far more than I ever wanted. At the end of the day, the gun climate in CA is no better than MA. The fact that one calls CA a free state is funny as hell.

All things are relative. I had far more personal freedoms as a gun lover in San Francisco than I do here in the Spirit of America.

I am surprised there aren't more votes here for Texas.

I love Arizona, but I wouldn't live that far from the coast. I lived in Florida when I was in my early 20s and hated it, but I think I could deal with it now. Ultimately, I see myself in Maine from Marathon day to Thanksgiving, southwest Florida during the winter. That's a long way off, though.

Hmm. Well NH is probably the most realistic and probable choice.

It seems that the surroundings I like are also the favored habitat of the north american spotted moonbat. Maybe because I'm a Libertarian and definitely NOT NOT 1000x NOT a Republican. I was born and raised in MA and, I gotta tell you, it annoys me to no end to hear people talking so much smack about the best god damn place on earth (except the politics). If you don't like it, leave. Seriously.

But I also like Northern Cali a lot. Went out there for training and ripped down Highway 1 through Big Sur. Definitely one of the coolest places I have ever been. I was skeptical about the people heading out there too but I have to say...they were friendly without being creepy like the people down south. Friendly but no BS. Its just too bad that they're so ridiculously liberal.

In fantasy world I guess Michigan would be the ideal. Except for not being by the Ocean, Detroit is probably the only other place besides Cali and MA I can picture myself living, and it's a pretty legit free state. I love the city of Detroit like a second home and I love the people there.

New Mexico:

Good weather with a touch of the four seasons, almost no traffic, lots of high tech employment, sparsely populated but with a good metro Albuquerque area, very low cost of living, EXTREMELY gun friendly and weapons/military friendly in general, good hunting, independent political streak, drivable to good San Diego beaches, fantastic skiing nearby and also close to Utah, people are very friendly, fantastic landscapes and mountains, great food, lots of interesting native american culture, world-class cultural destination in Santa Fe!

I was born and raised in MA and, I gotta tell you, it annoys me to no end to hear people talking so much smack about the best god damn place on earth (except the politics). If you don't like it, leave. Seriously.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mass sucks and I have been struggling to leave for years now. Horrible traffic, horrible weather, mediocre beaches, shitty skiing, relatively lame mountains, unfriendly people, ULTRA high cost of living, high taxes, EXTREMELY anti-gun, cities are full of crime and Section 8 ghetto people, ridiculously liberal politics, almost no open space.

Be honest, all of us are only here because of (1) jobs or (2) family ties. In a perfect world, we would all live in San Diego, Hawaii, Colorado, or NM/AZ/UT, and if you like the weather, Maine or New Hampshire. But come on man, there is absolutely no reason to live in this state, unless your a wealthy guy with a mansion on Martha's Vineyard or some Section 8 bum.

Mass is little more than the industrial hub of the North East, a giant factory with the gritty feel of a textile plant. The State can't even keep the gem of the Charles, the Longfellow Bridge from corroding and rusting into the river. Just look at half the bridges over the Charles, its a national embarrassment.

When I fly out of here, the freedom in other states is palpable--you can literally feel it permeate your skin--freedom of thought, freedom of defense, freedom of movement, its unbelievable. So if you like Mass, more power to you. But when others say the thought of being here makes them physically sick, please understand.

There is one day, and one day only, I want to be in Mass, and that is the 4th of July. I will gladly fly in, see the fireworks, and fly out the next day. The other 364 days of the year are just plain unpleasant.

Last edited:

IIRC CA revoked open carry (or at least they tried to, not sure what happened to that bill) and even when it was legal, you could only do it with an unloaded gun, which kinda defeats the purpose.

The roberti-roos AWB is enough to keep me from ever taking residency there. I'd only ever consider it if I got a job that would pay stupid amounts of money, and even then, I'd still have to think long and hard about it, being that i'd have to leave at least 3 guns and about 90% of the mags I own back here. (They're all illegal in CA, but still legal in MA... go figure. )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom