Which Free State would you move to?

It depends on what one loves to do. FL fits me perfectly, pretty gun friendly, great fishing and scuba diving. Crime can be bad, but at least there are some pro self-defense laws on the books here.

Being a water sign I have to be near the water, and on my first training dive I knew I had to be near SCUBA spots because I felt it so relaxing and stress relieving 30-40' under the surface.

New Mexico:

Good weather with a touch of the four seasons, almost no traffic, lots of high tech employment, sparsely populated but with a good metro Albuquerque area, very low cost of living, EXTREMELY gun friendly and weapons/military friendly in general, good hunting, independent political streak, drivable to good San Diego beaches, fantastic skiing nearby and also close to Utah, people are very friendly, fantastic landscapes and mountains, great food, lots of interesting native american culture, world-class cultural destination in Santa Fe!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mass sucks and I have been struggling to leave for years now. Horrible traffic, horrible weather, mediocre beaches, shitty skiing, relatively lame mountains, unfriendly people, ULTRA high cost of living, high taxes, EXTREMELY anti-gun, cities are full of crime and Section 8 ghetto people, ridiculously liberal politics, almost no open space.

Be honest, all of us are only here because of (1) jobs or (2) family ties. In a perfect world, we would all live in San Diego, Hawaii, Colorado, or NM/AZ/UT, and if you like the weather, Maine or New Hampshire. But come on man, there is absolutely no reason to live in this state, unless your a wealthy guy with a mansion on Martha's Vineyard or some Section 8 bum.

Mass is little more than the industrial hub of the North East, a giant factory with the gritty feel of a textile plant. The State can't even keep the gem of the Charles, the Longfellow Bridge from corroding and rusting into the river. Just look at half the bridges over the Charles, its a national embarrassment.

When I fly out of here, the freedom in other states is palpable--you can literally feel it permeate your skin--freedom of thought, freedom of defense, freedom of movement, its unbelievable. So if you like Mass, more power to you. But when others say the thought of being here makes them physically sick, please understand.

There is one day, and one day only, I want to be in Mass, and that is the 4th of July. I will gladly fly in, see the fireworks, and fly out the next day. The other 364 days of the year are just plain unpleasant.

What he said in SPADES!!!!

California is the suck in many, if not most ways, but sadly still much better than Mass. in MOST (but not all) departments. I've lived there as an adult twice, once breifly in the mid 80s and again for five years in the mid-late 90s. It's less moonbatty in most places than Mass believe it or not. It's just that the moonbattiest also happen to have the largest populations. Orange County, Northern CA (Redding/Shasta) or any of the mountain areas are awesome in most ways. San Diego isn't bad either.

Don't get me wrong, the bad outweighs the good. There's a reason I left that state at 15 and only went back because I had no choice in the matter. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with CA over Mass. any day of the week. I couldn't CCW in Mass. either so it's not like that is a big plus for Mass.

As for restrictions, WA doesn't let you have NFA stuff. Other than that the only place you can't carry which isn't mirrored nationally is in a bar, which honestly, concealed means concealed right? I think the penalty is a 90 day license suspension and a fine. -big deal.

I couldn't CCW in Mass. either so it's not like that is a big plus for Mass.

An LTC-A with a restriction is still better than no CCW. In MA you can "game" the
system anyways... lot harder to do that in CA where the CCW process is that much
more intensive and the licenses only last for 2 years. That said, in the non moonbat counties in CA, getting a CCW often is possible as long as the sheriff isn't a dick.

CCW in CA is still pretty rare though. If Jim March's data was correct, CA doesn't have a lot of CCW holders in total for a state of its huge size. MA probably actually
has more A/ALP or A/None holders in it than CA had CCWs altogether.

Don't get me started on the roberti-roos s**t in CA, either.... that is often aggressively prosecuted compared to here. They even used to sting NV gun shows trying to bag people coming back into CA with normal mags or AR-15s.

-Mike

In fantasy world I guess Michigan would be the ideal. Except for not being by the Ocean, Detroit is probably the only other place besides Cali and MA I can picture myself living, and it's a pretty legit free state. I love the city of Detroit like a second home and I love the people there.
OMFG!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

I thought I'd never hear anyone say "I love Detroit".......

detroit-packard-plant-20080815-171843.jpg

Ruyata-Akio-McGlothlin-Vivian-Hain-march-at-US-Social-Forum-Detroit-0610-by-Carina-Lomeli-PNN1.jpg

Even Cleveland's claim to fame is "at least we're not Detroit"....

Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mass sucks and I have been struggling to leave for years now. Horrible traffic, horrible weather, mediocre beaches, shitty skiing, relatively lame mountains, unfriendly people, ULTRA high cost of living, high taxes, EXTREMELY anti-gun, cities are full of crime and Section 8 ghetto people, ridiculously liberal politics, almost no open space.
You got that right. I have about 6 more yrs. till retirement if things stay the same. problem is the GF insists she will never leave her house. We`ll see if she sticks to her guns in 6-8 yrs. If not I told her to get used to phone sex. HA!HA!

This thread has been really great. Although NH is a pretty free state, I'd like to escape the winter a little. I'm okay with a little snow but 1 foot+ storms are getting a little ridiculous. I haven't traveled much, and I don't often get the chance to get out of New England so rather than sticking a pin in a map, I've been using the Brady Brat's map as a guide to the best places to live that have weather I can handle....

I gotta say, the map itself is pretty impressive. It leaves a lot of possible good places to live....

goodstates.jpg

So far I'd like to visit Arizona(scored a 2) and South Carolina(scored a 4). Florida is gun friendly be it feels like God's waiting room.

BTW- Vermont isn't a bad state as long as you head north and get away from the MA and NY borders.

Last edited:
OMFG!!!!

LOL!!!!!!

I thought I'd never hear anyone say "I love Detroit".......

detroit-packard-plant-20080815-171843.jpg

That's a picture of the Packard plant. Been there many times. Love that place.

FWIW, everyone in Detroit craps on "blohio" like its their job. ;) (I've never been, not my words)

Nah but Detroit is a gorgeous city. The architecture, if you're in to that kind of thing, is stunning. The whole city is a giant metaphor for 20th century America...it's fascinating...the level of prosperity of the early part of the century is evident in the grandiose buildings, and meanwhile the entire city is in decay because of the greed of the corporations, the greed of the unions, the lack of vision in the American auto industry, etc.

Multiple 36 story abandoned skyscrapers in downtown Detroit...coming to a city near you sooner than you might think.

The other thing about Detroit is that it's really a bastion of freedom. I mean...it's not that way for any legitimate reason...but because of the state the city is in you can preeeeeeeeeetty much do anything you want there and get away with it. It's like being in a different country being there.

The people there are amazing too, but I suspect Ohio is the same way (midwestern hospitality and stuff). Great food, good times.

Sorry, never get me started on Detroit...I can ramble all day about pretty much any aspect of it you wanna talk about. :D

This thread has been really great. Although NH is a pretty free state, I'd like to escape the winter a little. I'm okay with a little snow but 1 foot+ storms are getting a little ridiculous. I haven't traveled much, and I don't often get the chance to get out of New England so rather than sticking a pin in a map, I've been using the Brady Brat's map as a guide to the best places to live that have weather I can handle....

I gotta say, the map itself is pretty impressive. It leaves a lot of possible good places to live....

goodstates.jpg

So far I'd like to visit Arizona(scored a 2) and South Carolina(scored a 4). Florida is gun friendly be it feels like God's waiting room.

BTW- Vermont isn't a bad state as long as you head north and get away from the MA and NY borders.

I think they're a little off on Colorado, but we wont tell them that.

We should be red like FL, and in some ways, I think we're better than FL. Open carry, and no 5 day waits ( in the southern most 3 counties, without a CCW in FL, you have to wait 5 days from purchase to receiving) on hand guns to name two.

My wife and I have already had serious discussion about moving to AZ within the next few years. We have been keeping up with the housing market as well as our personal job market. I lived in Tucson for 9 months all of which were during the spring and summer. I absolutely loved it there. We will be taking a vacation there hopefully this summer to do some more on the ground research.

Also, We lived in Saint Albans, VT for a few year and it is a beautiful landscape. The only problem is drugs are rampant and there is a ton of unemployment. I was a LEO while we lived there and it can be a tough place depending where you live. There were a lot of property crimes and such when the economy got bad.

There are about 45 good options..so it mostly depends on finding a decent job. NH, TX, AZ, NC are all possibilities. Anywhere but MA; unfortunately, that's where I see most of the jobs now.
Ironic post is ironic......

What we need is MA is more gun owners who like to fight.

That's a picture of the Packard plant. Been there many times. Love that place.

FWIW, everyone in Detroit craps on "blohio" like its their job. ;) (I've never been, not my words)

Nah but Detroit is a gorgeous city. The architecture, if you're in to that kind of thing, is stunning. The whole city is a giant metaphor for 20th century America...it's fascinating...the level of prosperity of the early part of the century is evident in the grandiose buildings, and meanwhile the entire city is in decay because of the greed of the corporations, the greed of the unions, the lack of vision in the American auto industry, etc.

Multiple 36 story abandoned skyscrapers in downtown Detroit...coming to a city near you sooner than you might think.

The other thing about Detroit is that it's really a bastion of freedom. I mean...it's not that way for any legitimate reason...but because of the state the city is in you can preeeeeeeeeetty much do anything you want there and get away with it. It's like being in a different country being there.

The people there are amazing too, but I suspect Ohio is the same way (midwestern hospitality and stuff). Great food, good times.

Sorry, never get me started on Detroit...I can ramble all day about pretty much any aspect of it you wanna talk about. :D

1) Everyone in Detroit craps on Ohio to try to make themselves feel better about the fact that their city is perhaps the one closest to death in the whole nation. Even Cleveland is less f-d up (but not by much).

2) I hardly see Detroit's fate as one that is inevitable anywhere that isn't controlled by one industry as full of arrogance as the car industry used to be.

3) I hate urban America, so it's no wonder that I despise Detroit which is probably urban America in its worst manifestation.

Enjoy Detroit. I do not drive into SE Michigan unless I have at least a Glock and two full magazines on me.

I'm confused. I thought MI had mandatory handgun registration (under the guise of "safety inspections"), concealed pistol licensing boards, screwy laws about folding-stock weapons (if it's below 30" folded, it's a "pistol,"), etc. Just how exactly does this translate into the "bastion of gun freedoms?"

1) Everyone in Detroit craps on Ohio to try to make themselves feel better about the fact that their city is perhaps the one closest to death in the whole nation. Even Cleveland is less f-d up (but not by much).

Oh yea, definitely. I tell people constantly that my photography can't even begin to convey the situation there. It's like a war zone. It's devastation on a level that very few people would even believe could happen in America...you can't even begin to appreciate how insane it is if you haven't been there. People on the coasts, especially, have no idea. You probably have some inkling having been to Clevland.

2) I hardly see Detroit's fate as one that is inevitable anywhere that isn't controlled by one industry as full of arrogance as the car industry used to be.

I absolutely agree with you 100%. Arrogance is the right word for it. Arrogance from the unions who refused to recognize that they had a stake in the prosperity of the company as a whole, arrogance from management thinking that people were still going to buy their crappy substandard products as foreign manufacturers surpassed their levels of quality and innovation, etc. etc. etc. Way too much to list here.

3) I hate urban America, so it's no wonder that I despise Detroit which is probably urban America in its worst manifestation.

Gotcha. Understandable. I am definitely more of a city guy.

Enjoy Detroit. I do not drive into SE Michigan unless I have at least a Glock and two full magazines on me.

Haha, I will. And you prob. shouldn't go without a couple loaded mags. Honestly, I have had really good luck there but not everyone has. I visit the city with lifelong residents...a large contingent of lifelong residents. I have run in to scrappers on more than one occasion and have been pretty lucky...just out of work people trying to scrape by and survive...but things do not always go that well at all. Lots of people out there looking to scrape by by preying on people.

I'm confused. I thought MI had mandatory handgun registration (under the guise of "safety inspections"), concealed pistol licensing boards, screwy laws about folding-stock weapons (if it's below 30" folded, it's a "pistol,"), etc. Just how exactly does this translate into the "bastion of gun freedoms?"

Maybe you're right, but no one I know who lives there has had too many problems or complaints. It could be my skewed perspective living in MA.

you can't even begin to appreciate how insane it is if you haven't been there. People on the coasts, especially, have no idea. You probably have some inkling having been to Clevland..

I've been to and through Detroit many times.

The registration has been abolished IIRC, but one still needs a permit to purchase. The boards cannot deny unless the applicant meets one of the statutory disqualifiers. Michigan is shall issue.

If I had been able to find work, my wife and I would have moved back to NC a long time ago. Hopefully once the economy picks up a little more down there, more biotech companies will start hiring. I would also like living in mid/southern VA, eastern TN, northern GA, and parts of SC. I really liked the climate of Northern CA, but it would be too far from all of my family.

I am surprised there aren't more votes here for Texas.

I love Arizona, but I wouldn't live that far from the coast. I lived in Florida when I was in my early 20s and hated it, but I think I could deal with it now. Ultimately, I see myself in Maine from Marathon day to Thanksgiving, southwest Florida during the winter. That's a long way off, though.

Same here.....all I hear about Texas is that it's job growth will be above average than anywhere else in the country. I think that's where I'd go...and it's not that far to the gulf for beach or fishing. I'll admit the hunting there is pretty limited to the high fence ranch stuff..but whatever....

Florida is nice...but too humid/wet for me. I'd rather live somewhere drier....AZ might be good too..but no ocean.

Ironic post is ironic......

What we need is MA is more gun owners who like to fight.

Yeah....right. You have one life to live.....sit here shoveling snow, freezing your a$$ off, high taxes, high living costs, wasting half your life being cooped up by the weather, and then the other half having your freedoms taken away by a bunch of libtards. C'mon. I think the last election results really put it into light that this place is a sinking ship...not just as far as gun rights go...but economically and growth wise. As much as I'd love to be postive that things will change and I should stay and fight it's a little unrealistic that in my lifetime things will change with liberals running the show.

I wouldn't knock anyone for trying to find a place where the grass is greener.

Last edited:
Yeah....right. You have one life to live.....sit here shoveling snow, freezing your a$$ off, high taxes, high living costs, wasting half your life being cooped up by the weather, and then the other half having your freedoms taken away by a bunch of libtards. C'mon. I think the last election results really put it into light that this place is a sinking ship...not just as far as gun rights go...but economically and growth wise. As much as I'd love to be postive that things will change and I should stay and fight it's a little unrealistic that in my lifetime things will change with liberals running the show.

I wouldn't knock anyone for trying to find a place where the grass is greener.

Agreed. I have lived here now 24 years and watch this state continually go down the crapper. I'm originally from the west coast, but TX is high on my list of places to move to. I go there about once a year and absolutely love it there. It is worlds apart from this commie state.

Back
Top Bottom