Which Free State would you move to?

As Justice Brandeis noted, the individual states make excellent laboratories for policy. We should let the libtards have their own state(s), to run as they choose, on the condition a) the rest of us don't have to pick up the pieces when they're done and b) they can't come leech off us when they get hungry. Then we can watch the logical conclusions of their ideas unfold. Atlas Shrugged in real-time.

It's just that the moonbattiest also happen to have the largest populations. Orange County, Northern CA (Redding/Shasta) or any of the mountain areas are awesome in most ways. San Diego isn't bad either.

Orange County, if I remember correctly is the base of ops for the scientologists and the second largest population of neo-nazis in the state, second only to Bakersfield, which is a putrid pit trap.

On the other hand, Head north from Marin and people seem fine enough - Ft. Bragg is beautiful, Pelican Bay has the only useful model for the penal system, Redding is great, Chico is also dialed in - nothing like cute girls and decent liquor prices.

Lot of empty space up in those parts too.

Then you have Mono, Mojave, Bishop/June Lake... large population of decent folks, and no one gets their knickers in a twist over OC.

IIRC CA revoked open carry (or at least they tried to, not sure what happened to that bill) and even when it was legal, you could only do it with an unloaded gun, which kinda defeats the purpose.
WTF? I need to bone up then, I always carry when I go fishing, no need to see another cougar, or rattler. No point to open carry if it isn't loaded.

I'm screwed when it comes to work - my industry has jobs in SF, LA, Seattle, Orlando, Austin, and Boston. Luckily, I can get a good salary, but in this country that's all you have. Outside there is Shanghai, Hong Kong, Vancouver, Montreal, London, Paris, Frankfurt and that's about it. Weighing out the situation, there just aren't a lot of options.

Personally I am in love with the Great Plains. Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas would be my top picks.

The bluegrass region of Kentucky and the horse country of central Virginia would be great too.

An LTC-A with a restriction is still better than no CCW. In MA you can "game" the
system anyways... lot harder to do that in CA where the CCW process is that much
more intensive and the licenses only last for 2 years. That said, in the non moonbat counties in CA, getting a CCW often is possible as long as the sheriff isn't a dick.

CCW is pretty easy to get if you're in a county like Kern. I knew many people who had concealed carry license. Wasn't the only place it was easy to get a concealed carry license. However, the shitty thing is that your ability to bear arms was still up to one guy (the county sheriff). [/Quote]

CCW in CA is still pretty rare though. If Jim March's data was correct, CA doesn't have a lot of CCW holders in total for a state of its huge size. MA probably actually
has more A/ALP or A/None holders in it than CA had CCWs altogether.

Don't get me started on the roberti-roos s**t in CA, either.... that is often aggressively prosecuted compared to here. They even used to sting NV gun shows trying to bag people coming back into CA with normal mags or AR-15s.

-Mike

There were ways to own "evil guns" if you followed the letter of the law, and it's common practice now. I owned a non-registered AR-15 in California. Many people do...and AK's as well. It had all the evil features, but had to run 10-round fixed mags. I also owned 30 rd mags but just couldn't put them together (no constructive possession laws). My AR's are all non-californicated now. High-cap mags weren't illegal to possess as long as you owned them prior to 2000 or they did not transfer possession after that time (ie you could come across one in the desert, pick it up, and still be ok). In fact the law was worded that you could swap out parts for repair purposes. So you could have in your possession a 30 round mag with mag body stamped "2009" and *still* be fine. In the words of a prosecuting attorney I knew, high-cap mag law was very difficult to enforce. He had no problem owning and using high cap mags for his own Glock (which he concealed carried).

#1 Arizona
#2 Texas
#3 NC
#4 NH

Need to get out of the snow and ice. Can't handle the weather or politics in this state anymore.

NV, would be nice to move back, but not in the cards, so CA (Which ain't perfect, but a ton better than MA).

Looking at some land in SE OR or NW NV for a hunting property though.

Northern NV is nice (at least outskirts of Reno). I'm hoping to relocate there; gun laws are fine, and the cost of living is ok. You can at least experience Winter without having 3 feet of snow in your front lawn. If the employment rate would just improve.......

TX, AZ, SC, any of them would be good. From what I saw of the Roanoke, VA area, that might be OK. NH if nothing else is viable.

Last edited:
FL, near Orlando. Or New Hampshire, but I really am sick of snow. Also considering Arizona since my uncle has been talking about it, or possibly Texas. I feel like I would really love Texas, just because, haha.

Working on paying off my debt and then heading out.

I was surprised at some of the crap supposedly "gun-friendly" states do WRT guns. NC is a perfect example of that. Even TX is FULL of places you can't carry. WA, for all the fact that NFA items are (currently) illegal, has only one place you can't carry outside of what federal laws already cover: Bars. Hardly a big deal AFAIC.

To me, guns are only a part of what makes a "free state." Freedom to do basically WTF you want to without mommy government interfering or charging you a special fee is at least as important, as well as not being taxed into oblivion. -And let's add to that not having trivial crap made into felonies.

Yes it is, and it is a beautiful, beautiful state.

I would NOT mind living in the horse/hunt country of central Virginia.

I love central VA. Great scenery.

We're a very gun friendly state, and NFA weapons are allowed.

Jobs: Plenty, but it depends on where you are, low unemployment

Crime: Very low, but there are still areas to avoid like anywhere else.

Weather: Pretty good. It gets colder the farther west and north you go. Summers are hot and humid, with temps regularly going into the 90's with high humidity. Autumn is pleasant and warm. Winters are pretty mild. It does get cold and it does snow in winter here, but VA (at least where I am)doesn't get the frigid, snowy winters of the Northeast.

Anything else y'all wanna know, just ask.

I love central VA. Great scenery.

We're a very gun friendly state, and NFA weapons are allowed.

Jobs: Plenty, but it depends on where you are, low unemployment

Crime: Very low, but there are still areas to avoid like anywhere else.

Weather: Pretty good. It gets colder the farther west and north you go. Summers are hot and humid, with temps regularly going into the 90's with high humidity. Autumn is pleasant and warm. Winters are pretty mild. It does get cold and it does snow in winter here, but VA (at least where I am)doesn't get the frigid, snowy winters of the Northeast.

Anything else y'all wanna know, just ask.

Call me crazy, but I love this about VA

newfront05.jpg

Interesting thread. I've been thinking hard about pulling out of Mass altogether, job or no job. I'm getting a bit long in the tooth for another life change, but what the hell? I have to wait three years until my youngest is out of High School. After that, anything goes.

I like NH, but the property tax is a bit high for someone on a small or fixed income. And NH seems to be increasing infected by north Jersey moonbats in retirement mode. I've looked at southern VT and, while my Subaru would fit right in, they do have a moonbat problem there. My closest object of affection at the moment in Maine, specifically Downeast/Acadia region.

I plan to make a road trip in the summer to scout out some Maine locales. Gouldsboro to Columbia Falls. I don't need a whole heck of a lot ... a small, sturdy house with a garage or barn. A snow blower or plow truck. At least 3 acres of land with a sunny corner for a garden plot and maybe a chicken coop. Maybe I'll raise alpacas ... who knows.

I think I'm too old to adjust to life outside New England, or I'd turn my gaze south and west.

Back
Top Bottom