Which CMP M1-Carbine would you go for?

Which M1-Carbine manufacturer would you prefer?

• Inland

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Underwood

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Quality Hardware

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • National Postal Meter

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • IBM

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Siginaw SG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard Products

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winchester

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Rockola

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Rockrivr1

NES Member
I was reading LoginName's post on the cost of the Inland Carbines when they become available in April and I clicked on the link. From the link it looks like only the Inlands will be on sale in April. The other manufacturers will be available around Sept 07.

I'm in a quandry now of whether I send in my order right on April 30th for an Inland or wait for the other manufacturer options to become available in Sept.

My question - if given the choice - which M1 Carbine manufacturer would you want to get and why? Would you jump on an Inland or wait for the next batch?

Standard answer . . . buy them all!! [devil]

For a shooter, Inland is just fine. The others represent rarity due to lesser numbers mfd. They are all collectible, just some more so than others.

I'm buying one as a shooter, not a collector, so I actually have no preference... whichever is in decent shape at a reasonable price.

I plan on holding off for at least a month or two before I order one though (I'd like to hear/read comments regarding the rifles before I buy).

From what I've previously read on the ODCMP forums and elsewhere (when collectors were speculating on the price), $500.00 is a bit on the high-end
for the Inlands.

One other thing I've been reading here and about, is that the availability and price of USGI magazines has gone way up since the CMP announced the carbine
offerings. I'm guessing that the same thing is also happening with .30 carbine ammo.

NPM, IBM or Rockola, but I don't think I could afford either so I'll probably just try to get another Inland.

I bought a 1943 (import) NPM from Four Seasons (consignment gun) for $486 OTD back in 11/02. I guess that I'll hang in there and wait for the rest of the prices before deciding what to get/spend.

I too think the prices are a little steep compared to the prices we're used to seeing from CMP. $500 - $600 is standard gun show/shop price and at least then you get to check the rifle out. It just doesn't seem worth the gamble to me because after all its still a lot of money we're talking about and I don't think CMP has a no hassle inspection/return like most places you can order milsurps from.
Sure there will be a feeding frenzy, some people will get great rifles, some ok, some beaters, and they may even sell out quickly. Myself I'll hold off for now unless I see/hear about exceptional quality rifles coming out.
As for the poll... I'm not a collector of M1 Carbines so I'd just pick whichever one seemed like a better deal for that particular model.
I'd be happy though if they offered non corrosive ammo. [grin]

If all you want it for is shooting, it makes no difference...they're all the same.

the brand only indicates its level of production/rarity. Since they are all over 50 years old and have most likely been thru several rebuilds, they will all be mixmasters. The name will really only apply to the receiver.

I'm sure the more sought after brands will be priced accordingly,too.

get brand name that catches your fancy...or not.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting an Inland when they are available and an IBM, Rockola, or NPM in that order for collecting purposes. I already have a Saginaw SG for a shooter that is also actually in nice shape.

I got my Underwood from Charles Hadley of South Portland, Maine a few years ago. He's the guy you usually see with three vertical racks of M-1 Carbines on the table, and he works through a "window" in talking to the customer! Really nice guy, who knows his carbines.

But prices have continued to rise. The gun I paid $500 for back then would easily go for $650 today.

Something neat about having one from a company not normally associated with firearms manufacture - IBM, Underwood, Rockola.

Anyone who wants to know thewhole story on M-1 carbines should check out Larry Ruth's "War Baby" - but be prepared to shell out some big bucks unless you can borrow one.

Good luck to everyone playing the CMP Carbine Lottery!!!

I would just like to get one that's an all GI shooter. I guess I kind of want the best of both worlds, I'd like a rifle I can to take to the range but that will also develop some collector value if properly maintained.

cmp carbine price for shooter

$500-$600 sight unseen! for a shooter I would go for a Kahr arms auto ordinance or an israeli IMI. they look new and are made from orginal parts kahr covers thiers with a warranty
they can be found for $500 to $600

I've heard poor things about Kahr's QC as well as the Israeli Arms ones. (not IMI) That and they won't appreciate in value like the USGIs, I'd go with an original over a reproduction any day. USGI carbines will shoot very well and parts are readily available.

HEY! The poll only lets me pick one!!! [crying]

I will start with an Inland and go from there. The others are likely to be more expensive. FWIW, it would take a lot of time, effort, and mony, to restore one of these babies to original condition, as the stocks, bolts, and who knows what else are "wrong".

Back
Top Bottom