• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which AK should I buy ?

looking to pick up an AK, I expect ( or would like to ) pay in the 7-8 hundred range. Any suggestions ?

Ak prices have really come down over the last year. Sorry I don't know the different models well but I have seen wasr 10's (cheapest model) around the 500 dollar mark recently. An ak is an ak right?

Build one!
Its fun, I am almost done with mine. Just have to put in the trigger assemble and fit the dust cover and she'll be ready to go bang.

Thanks guys, I was put off a bit buy the Wasr because of the bad rap its had but the more I look at reviews those were pre 08 versions. I have been checking out the M&M AK which looks good but its polymer furniture and I'd really like the wood instead.

- - - Updated - - -

Haven't handled one personally but have heard good things about the N PAP rifles

So have I just cant seem to find anything around these parts

I really like my Norinco Mak 90. Got it off gunbroker for about $600 shipped IIRC.

Last edited:
Norinco +1 .. got mine of gunbroker as well..

the nice thing about the mak90's and the other chinese ak's is you know they are all pre 94 ban for MA..

update:

Found this for you

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=398132166

or

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=396759078

Queen Bee to the rescue. OP should definitely take her advice and take a look at mak 90s on gunbroker. I was asking the same questions you are back in October and before I knew it, I had a nice Mak 90.

I have an Arsenal SAM7, beautiful rifle, milled receiver and all but I gotta be honest, it really doesn't shoot any better than my WASR.....at least in my hands. The O-PAPs aren't bad guns from what I have heard from people who have them, I have seen them for around $599 or so.

Take qb advice Get a mak 90, Chinese ak's are awesome, I love them more than my arsenal. The bluing is great and the trigger break is like glass. If you want to spend some money, get a pre ban 89 ak.

Definitely build one if you can! I'm glad I did
Parts kits are starting to come down and are mostly in stock. It's not hard to do, the only hard part is sourcing the tools if you don't have them

Attachments

• image-1089184038.jpg
    image-1089184038.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 86
I was going to suggest the M&M m10-762, but see you want wood so that would have to be swapped out. The M&M is an excellent rifle, so don't pass it by just because of the furniture as that can be retrofitted without much trouble and the railed forend and Tapco stock will sell easily. I personally wanted the all black tacticool look so it was perfect for me other than upgrading to an Arsenal slotted stock because the Tapco didn't look as nice.

with the Mac just remeber most of them are slant cut recivers and only one place to buy a stock that fits (at $180). and if you do swap the stock the gun is no longer 92r complaint and will need to take off a few parts to swap with us made parts.

Just a heads up before you decide. A norinco craps all over a romainan in every way possible as far as build and quality of parts. China is known for cheap stuff but their firearms are superb. A romainan will do the job and work well for you dont get me wrong but once you handel a norinco you will see what I mean.

with the Mac just remeber most of them are slant cut recivers and only one place to buy a stock that fits (at $180). and if you do swap the stock the gun is no longer 92r complaint and will need to take off a few parts to swap with us made parts.

Just a heads up before you decide. A norinco craps all over a romainan in every way possible as far as build and quality of parts. China is known for cheap stuff but their firearms are superb. A romainan will do the job and work well for you dont get me wrong but once you handel a norinco you will see what I mean.

Yeah fortunately mine wasn't a slant cut receiver so my arsenal buttstock fit after some careful dremeling. Comparing it to my buddy's WASR it is obvious how different the fit tolerances are between the two. I can't say I noticed a significant difference in accuracy though.

I was going to suggest the M&M m10-762, but see you want wood so that would have to be swapped out. The M&M is an excellent rifle, so don't pass it by just because of the furniture as that can be retrofitted without much trouble and the railed forend and Tapco stock will sell easily. I personally wanted the all black tacticool look so it was perfect for me other than upgrading to an Arsenal slotted stock because the Tapco didn't look as nice.

I also own an M10-762 and I'm happy with it as well. It is what it is, a WASR for the most part. I have compared it side by side with andrew1220's MAK 90 and the fit and finish on the MAK is quite a bit better. I can't say one shoots better than the other though. Basically it comes down to patience. If you have a little, comb GB for a MAK90. If you need instant gratification go out and grab a Yugo or WASR. Whatever route you take, you won't be disappointed. They're great rifles.

convert a saiga, otherwise if you want to buy something get a norinco or an arsenal.

if you're going to leave it in a closet/in pools of the enemy's blood/in a mud puddle/never clean it get a WASR. rifle is fine. is AK.

I am kind of on the fence with an AK. My wife and I really like the older militaria type guns, something with history.

I sort of feel that an AK will help my collection be more complete. But, I was never really a big fan of them. I don't know, I guess them always being the "bad-guy gun" had something to do with it. I did hold one at a gun show recently, and it felt better than I expected. If I did pick one up, it would have to be "older" but I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I have seen those WASR's for about 500.00. That one felt "cheap" in my hands, but I imagine it would suffice. I am sure that if I did get one, it would probably grow on me.

Should I look into a WASR? Or, are there older ones out there? Obviously, can't have an issued one, because of the select fire...

I am kind of on the fence with an AK. My wife and I really like the older militaria type guns, something with history.

I sort of feel that an AK will help my collection be more complete. But, I was never really a big fan of them. I don't know, I guess them always being the "bad-guy gun" had something to do with it. I did hold one at a gun show recently, and it felt better than I expected. If I did pick one up, it would have to be "older" but I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. I have seen those WASR's for about 500.00. That one felt "cheap" in my hands, but I imagine it would suffice. I am sure that if I did get one, it would probably grow on me.

Should I look into a WASR? Or, are there older ones out there? Obviously, can't have an issued one, because of the select fire...

"cheap" is OK. rifle is fine, it's an AK.

just make sure the sights aren't canted, and you're good to go.

Back
Top Bottom