• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which 9mm??

I wish we could do polls here but i'll ask. I am looking for a 9mm range gun basically. I am looking for something in the "compact" area.

Here is what i got so far.

Glock 19 9mm
Sig 229 9mm
M&P 9mm Compact
S&W 908 9mm

I don't know which gun to get. Right now the deals on the M&P are really good but it is DAO and has the 10lb trigger or whatever it is. If its anything like my friends SIGMA i know i won't like it. If we could get the 6.5lb trigger it would be nice but as far as i know we can't due to the AG regs.

I also really don't want to break the bank. I would like to keep it under $450 if i could. Might be pushing it to find the G19 or Sig 229.

I know there are alot of full size guns out there but i really don't want one. I would basically be limiting myself to a range gun only at that point since its so big, concealed carry isn't really a good option even if i wanted to.

If you can find one you could afford I strongly recommend the Sig P229. They are great guns.

But, IIRC, you already have a Glock, so the Glock 19 makes a lot of sense. But as C-X said, make sure it fits your hand first.

The M&P's are great but you will need to get a trigger job. The M&P feels so much more comfortable then the Glocks IMO.

YMMV

I recommend a brand new SIGMA 9mm. I don't own one, but a buddy of mine got one after shooting my Glock 22, M&P9c and Ruger P-345.

The SIGMA 9 or .40 is basically a glock! you won't get to buy the pre-ban toys, but it functions and even breaks apart the same way as a Glock does.

A SIGMA will set you back between $200 (used) to $300 (new). So I suggest you get a new one and cash in on the $50 rebate and two free mags.

*of course, being that my first gun was a glock - GOOD LUCK finding a NON-full size frame glock for your price range!!!!!!

I went with the O.G. only second to the Glock 17. LOL

my G22 set me back $600 after the holsters (2ea.) and hi-cap magazines (2.ea.)[smile]

some of the stores stock G19's and G26's for over $700 if they are in good condition, have nite sites and hi-cap magazines...

you can always widen your search to include .40 cal of the same guns (Glocks, S&W) that price around the same range ($400 to $500 for a stock model). you can also shop other MA compliant brands like Walther P99's & Sig's. but they are NOT limited to 9mm like you specified

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now i have a Glock 27. The reason i want a 9mm because 100 rounds of WWB is only $14-16. 100 WWB .40 S&W is $25-27.

My friend has the Sigma 9mm. It is a nice gun but the trigger sucks. I don't think i would mind it so much if it wasn't a 10lb double action. Thats what turned me on to the 908 and sig 229 DA/SA. The 19 isnt to bad since its only a 5.5lb trigger.

If i could buy an M&P compact 9mm w/ the 6.5lb trigger that would be the one i would buy. $429 @ FS w/ the extra 2 mags.

Right now i have a Glock 27. The reason i want a 9mm because 100 rounds of WWB is only $14-16. 100 WWB .40 S&W is $25-27.

My friend has the Sigma 9mm. It is a nice gun but the trigger sucks. I don't think i would mind it so much if it wasn't a 10lb double action. Thats what turned me on to the 908 and sig 229 DA/SA. The 19 isnt to bad since its only a 5.5lb trigger.

If i could buy an M&P compact 9mm w/ the 6.5lb trigger that would be the one i would buy. $429 @ FS w/ the extra 2 mags.

No brainer ...............

Go to lonewolf and buy a 40cal to 9mm conversion barrel for your G27. They run flawlessly, you can shoot lead with it, and you 40 cal mags will work just fine with 9mm. Total cost ....... about $100

you have more than enough for a G19 at A&G Guns in Lowell.

I saw a G19 on their site for $450 (please don't quote me).

regarding the trigger issues:

I find that the S&W Trigger is better than the Glock because it's wider and more comfortable to shoot. The Glock trigger is too narrow (IMHO) and "bites" if you loosen your grip on the pistol.

With that said, I shot 100 rounds through my M&P9c and 100 rounds through my Glock 22 today.

The trigger weight is only a small factor and quite frankly, I am going to purchase the tool to measure the pull because I find these triggers to be very similar. In fact, I can squeeze off more with my Ruger (.45 ACP) vs. my Glock because of the wider trigger itself.

this is just my personal pref. but i also got hung up on "lighter" trigger pulls. i am now hung up on trigger travel vs. pull. -as long as it isn't a 15 pound trigger like a M9 Beretta! LOL

No brainer ...............

Go to lonewolf and buy a 40cal to 9mm conversion barrel for your G27. They run flawlessly, you can shoot lead with it, and you 40 cal mags will work just fine with 9mm. Total cost ....... about $100

I think I'm going to order a 9mm barrell kit for my G22. I have shy'd away from this - but i hear nothing but good things.

[smile]

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go with the M&P. Should be able to find one for around 400-450 and put another 50 into a trigger job from Greg Derr.

First, determine which gun fits your hand best, then consider the dent in your wallet.

What he said. I'll add: shoot then all if you can. (you can rent from some places like Manchester Firing Line).

FWIW, you can do polls. You have to go back and edit your post. Hit "Advanced Edit" then "add poll" or something like that.

We'll see how things go. I may or may not buy a conversion kit. I think the advantage arms .22 conversion kits are really cool. 2 or 3 guns are better than one though right :)

I've fired the Glock 19 and own Sigs.

If your looking for a compact "hi cap" 9mm be sure to check out the Walther P99 AS before buying one of the others. It is the most ergonomic semi-auto I own, and compared to it the glock is like aiming a 2X4. The P99 AS trigger is IMO better, lighter, shorter reset than the glock as well and with 2nd strike capability (not like you will need it because they are just as reliable and durable as the glock).

http://www.carlwalther.com/images/p99as_2.jpg

If you're looking for a "range gun", why does it have to be compact? Why not go with something a little bigger like a Glock 17 which would give you a bit more sight radius? That will make it easier to shoot. If you don't plan to carry it, I'd recommend a full size if at all possible. I'm surprised at how much easier my G17 is to shoot then my G19.
-Cuz.

If you're looking for a "range gun", why does it have to be compact? Why not go with something a little bigger like a Glock 17 which would give you a bit more sight radius? That will make it easier to shoot. If you don't plan to carry it, I'd recommend a full size if at all possible. I'm surprised at how much easier my G17 is to shoot then my G19.
-Cuz.

Well like i said i want it to be able to be carried if i want to. The full size really limits myself to my option with the gun as they are not easily concealed.

Well like i said i want it to be able to be carried if i want to. The full size really limits myself to my option with the gun as they are not easily concealed.

No idea how far you are, but if you want, youre more than welcome to try my M&P 9C. When i was shopping, it was either that or the G26. The M&P just felt 10x better in my hand...

Sorry, I must have missed the part about carrying it. In that case the G19 gets my vote. Of course, I am openly biased towards Glocks.

-Cuz.

My thoughts on four 9mm semi-autos:

CZ-75B: I shoot this gun the most. It’s a fun gun and is a very good buy quality wise, but they are hard to get in Mass. It’s a nice gun to shoot in IDPA.

S&W 952: This is one of the nicer hand guns I’ve shot. It’s pricey but of really high quality and extremely accurate. The down side is that it has the safety on the slide which can hurt if you shoot it in combat style competitions.

Beretta 92FS: Some people really like this gun I almost never shoot mine as I don’t like the trigger and it feels clumsy in my hands. I don’t see a lot of them in competitions.

Although I don’t like Glocks, a lot of guys do and you see many shooters with them shooting them very well. So if you’re looking for an inexpensive gun that you can also shoot in competition then you might consider the Glock.

Respectfully,

jkelly

I think I'm going to order a 9mm barrell kit for my G22. I have shy'd away from this - but i hear nothing but good things.

[smile]

Instead of Lone Wolf, I recommend you try one from KKM Precision. I've had bad luck with Lone Wolf (the barrel I got for my G20 made the gun very inaccurate), and very good luck with KKM.

I don't know which gun to get. Right now the deals on the M&P are really good but it is DAO and has the 10lb trigger or whatever it is. If its anything like my friends SIGMA i know i won't like it. If we could get the 6.5lb trigger it would be nice but as far as i know we can't due to the AG regs.

You can get a trigger job for under $100.

Is it legal to modify the trigger once you own the gun?

Yes. The AG's "consumer protection" regulations govern what a dealer can do, not what a consumer can do. Here is the text of that regulation (emphasis added):

16.05: Sale of Handguns Without Childproofing

(1) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice to sell a handgun without a safety device in violation of M.G.L. c. 140, § 131K.

(2) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a mechanism which effectively precludes an average five year old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire; such mechanisms shall include, but are not limited to: raising trigger resistance to at least a ten pound pull, altering the firing mechanism so that an average five year old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun, or requiring a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun.

(3) It shall be an unfair or deceptive practice for a handgun-purveyor to transfer or offer to transfer to any customer located within the Commonwealth any handgun which does not contain a load indicator or magazine safety disconnect.

(4) 940 CMR 16.05(2) shall not apply to handguns which have a hammer deactivation device. 940 CMR 16.05(3) applies only to handguns that have a mechanism to load cartridges via a magazine.

The original can be found here: http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=cagoter...dguns Without Childproofing or Safety Devices

Everything in this regulation is about what a "handgun-purveyor" can do. You are not a handgun-purveyor, so you can do what you want.

Back
Top Bottom