• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to find a good gun safe

I have not yet recieved my class A, but I would like to have things in order when that day comes. I have two small children and would like to know if someone could recomend a good place to purchase a safe.

Thank you

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want low end, you can get StackOn cabinets at a place like Dicks. If you want to go up a notch, you can get the Sentry at Four Seasons. Moving up the food chain are the "gun safes" which are pretty decent, but don't carry a TL15 or TL30 rating (i.e., they would never meet insurance requirements for a jewelery store) in which case Eastern Security in Mendon is a decent source. Moving into the "true safes" - you'll need a supplier like Boston Safe & Lock, or buy one from a shop going out of business in the Boston Jeweler's Building.

I got a big Sentry safe at Lowes on sale last month for under 300, marked down from 397.

Holds all my guns, ammo, and personal papers about 5 feet tall

I picked up a Sentry 14 long gun safe (with single ammo/handgun shelf) for under $400 at Four Seasons. It's definitely not jewelry store quality, but I got it for pretty much only for safety and to be compliant. The guys at the store were great to work with.

Just bought a safe from Eastern Security Safe in Mendon. They have a great variety on display. Mike was easy to deal with and very helpful.

I ended up buying a safe that weighs 600-700 pounds. There is no way I could get that up to the second floor myself. So dealing with these guys was a no brainer. They have the manpower and equipment and experience to do this safely.

And don't forget, there is no Massachusetts sales tax on safes.

Rich

I guess it depends on just how big of a safe you want. The Sentry 14 gun safes are pretty easy to find. I have seen them at Lowe's, Home Depot, and Walmart. I bought one at Four Seasons in Woburn as my first safe - and it is now full. If you only think you are going to have a couple of pistols - you could probably get by with a regular document safe. Those are also available at Lowes and Home Depot.

I think the first question you should ask yourself is: How many guns can I see myself buying in the next few years, and what other "stuff" could I see myself putting in the safe. At least then you will know what size you are looking for.

The Sentry 14 gun safes are heavy - but I was able to get mine in the house with a handcart by myself.

I was able to get my safe where I wanted it with a fridge handtruck. You'll want the stair climber features and straps trust me. If you have the right tools it isn't bad

I picked up three Mosler Record safes from the company I worked for after they downsized and moved into smaller quarters. The price was right. I hired a safe rigging company to move them to my home. If you can find a company with a large unwanted safe you can usually get them very cheap just make sure you use a rigger to move it. Smaller safes are in large demand because everyone wants one for the bedroom closet but larger safes are mostly unwanted.

If I was in the market for a "real" gun safe, I'd look at what Eastern Security has to offer. They are usually at the larger gun shows with a nice selection on display including Dakota Safes that can be broken down into peices and moved easily to a upper floor apartment or room.

In any event, get a safe that is much larger than you thing you need. By the time you put all your firearms into it as well as important papers and the wife's jewlery you won't have a lot of room left over. Once you have it, you'll be amazed at what you have that really should be locked up. Camera's, Coin Collections and the like.

Just remember the "Gun Safe Sizing" rule:

1. Take the number of guns you currently own

2. Multiply by 2 (or by 4 if you have your C&R license)

3. Add 30%

Get a safe that will hold that many guns, and immediately start saving for the next safe. You will outgrow your current safe in 3 to 9 months (3 to 9 weeks if you have your C&R license).

+1 for Eastern Security Safe. I bought both my safes from them.

USMA-82 is correct that you need to buy a larger safe, but I think the rule should go more like this:

1. Figure out how many guns you might ever buy.
2. Multiply by two.
3. Add 30%

And you'll still need another safe in a few years...

+1 for Eastern Security Safe. I bought both my safes from them.

USMA-82 is correct that you need to buy a larger safe, but I think the rule should go more like this:

1. Figure out how many guns you might ever buy.
2. Multiply by two.
3. Add 30%

And you'll still need another safe in a few years...

Haha, ya know, I figured it would be 3-4 years before I filled my 14 gun safe. It was just over one year.... Now I'm debating my best course of action... hopefully before I buy a new longgun and have no place to store it. I don't want to buy a new safe because I know I'll run out of room sooner or later (I prefer sooner, my wallet prefers later; we can't always be in agreement [smile]).

Gun Safe

Try calling demo contractors close to mill type towns, Brockton, Fitchburg, Worcester, etc. They run into old safes all the time while taking down old buildings You may have to spend a few bucks to get it delivered and opened but in the end it will probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new. Also, not sure of the company name but there is a guy in Fitchburg who sells old mill building safes pretty cheap, check the yellow pages for locksmiths in that area. Good luck

If anyone sees the Sentry 14 gun safe on sale at Lowes or Home depot etc. send me a pm. I missed the last one the other day at Salem HD and it was on sale for 299.00 Thanks!

Hi:
Just a suggestion.... watch "Craigs List" for a used office safe.
I bought a $3000.00 Office safe for $250.00, cost me $550.00 to have it removed from a 2nd floor office and installed in my basement.
Arnaki

Just bought a safe from Eastern Security Safe in Mendon. They have a great variety on display. Mike was easy to deal with and very helpful.

I ended up buying a safe that weighs 600-700 pounds. There is no way I could get that up to the second floor myself. So dealing with these guys was a no brainer. They have the manpower and equipment and experience to do this safely.

How much extra did that place charge to move the safe for you? I was able to get a Sentry 14-gun (more like 8) into my walk-in basement myself with a hand truck (including moving it up/down 8" high transitions between sections of basement), but that's about the limit of what I would want to do myself. And I need something bigger, so someone is going to need to do more than just deliver it... they also have to get it inside.

How much extra did that place charge to move the safe for you? I was able to get a Sentry 14-gun (more like 8) into my walk-in basement myself with a hand truck (including moving it up/down 8" high transitions between sections of basement), but that's about the limit of what I would want to do myself. And I need something bigger, so someone is going to need to do more than just deliver it... they also have to get it inside.

I don't remember what they charged me. The charges will depend upon how far you are from Mendon, how big the safe is, and how hard it is to access (walk-out basement versus stairs). Give them a call and ask.

I did purchase a 14 gun safe from sentury. It was very heavy, but I managed to bring it up 8 stairs in the garage then 16 stairs to the second floor of my home by myself with a two wheeler. Did I mention I was stupid? My shoulders, and legs hurt for days. I am not young anymore. When I outgrow the safe it may be easier to buy a new house. I am also still waiting for my permit, so I have nothing to put in the safe. If I do not get an ltc, the chief is going to move the safe for me.

Also the video of the safe opening with a tap scares the crap out of me. (little ones at home, and I did consider the safe in the video)

Back
Top Bottom